Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
YARN | I am the angel of death. The time of purification is at hand. | The  Simpsons (1989) - S04E07 Comedy | Video clips by quotes | 21c8bb70 | 紗
Coming back with bitterness about being fired.

First order of business: Trade Jake for a #4 dman. Trade Rakell for a backup goalie. Bring up WBS kids to play with Sid. Make statement "Sid and Geno will have to make due with less. Hahaha...hahahahahaha...muahahahahahahaha!!!! WITH LESS!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" Signs Jarry $7mil x 7yrs.
Bylsma will be AGM, with the long term plan is for him to take over in 3 years
This may be one of the most egregious troll posts of the last decade.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’m not sure the Pens are the best fit for a power hungry personality like Dubas. He’s not going to want to be told he has to keep a coach that is 5 years past his shelf life.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've come around more and more to the idea of Dubas, not only because of Dubas but also because of the connections he made. From everything I've read, it seems like Dubas was incredibly popular among many in the Leafs between players and executives. Him bringing in some of his executives from Toronto will very likely be a huge benefit for the team. I know Spezza was a very promising up-and-coming NHL executive that quit the Leafs when Dubas was fired, so I think he's an example of a guy that Dubas may poach from the Leafs.

If Dubas is named GM, I bet they sign Bunting this off-season to replace Zucker. Bunting-Malkin-Rust has a really nice look to it IMO.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Not sure what difference it makes, especially to Shanny. You make the decision for your team. That's it. That's your focus. Just like with any employee, you can expect them to seek employment elsewhere but that should have no bearing on whether or not you fire them because they did not meet expectations.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think it came down to Dubas and Shanahan just not liking one another very much and Dubas basically saying "If I'm gonna stick around, I want more control and more money because f*** dealing with this doofus and this batshit crazy media/fanbase" and honestly, I don't blame him. Even if he goes elsewhere or doesn't come back for a year or so, completely independent of the Pens' job. Shanahan seems like a guy who would piss off anybody working with him. :laugh:
Colby's nose is a work of art.

Post-impressionist art to be exact.
That's pretty much what my nose looks like. :laugh: Constantly look like I'm trying to smell my right cheek.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m not sure the Pens are the best fit for a power hungry personality like Dubas. He’s not going to want to be told he has to keep a coach that is 5 years past his shelf life.
We'd be lucky to get a guy like that to be honest. That would be probably the best candidate we can realistically get. And our owners have deep deep pockets.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it came down to Dubas and Shanahan just not liking one another very much and Dubas basically saying "If I'm gonna stick around, I want more control and more money because f*** dealing with this doofus and this batshit crazy media/fanbase" and honestly, I don't blame him. Even if he goes elsewhere or doesn't come back for a year or so, completely independent of the Pens' job. Shanahan seems like a guy who would piss off anybody working with him. :laugh:

That's pretty much what my nose looks like. :laugh: Constantly look like I'm trying to smell my right cheek.

I never played to any great level but man I'm super lucky I didn't get my face mangled.

I mean... uh... any worse than it is naturally.

• Haha

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Toronto seemed hell-bent on signing a big FA. They tried for Stamkos and then Tavares the next year. They really were pinning all their hopes on the cap exploding

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Dubas has legitimate criticisms about how he did in Toronto, namely his insistence with acquiring past juniors players and how badly he got bent over in the Matthews and Marner contract negotiations. But I think things like their lack of playoff success or signing Tavares were due to other things, not Dubas.

Any GM of the Leafs was going to be forced to sign Tavares after the whole pajama thing. Dubas was just the GM at the time who had to sign Tavares. With regards to their playoff success, I think that's more about their core being full of a bunch of losers than anything else. Dubas has generally done a very good job at surrounding the team with talent, but it's usually the core who doesn't perform in the playoffs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
But it kinda is the issue. It's all about opportunity cost. That extra $1-3M prevents you from sweetening an offer to a better Dman or goalie that you wanted in FA/trade.

We see this all the time on this board. You get enough of those "well what's an extra $500k-1.5M extra on the expected value?". Uh it literally prevents us from theoretically having a better player down the line. There is only so much pie available.
We also don't know what effect taxation and such has.

I've been on board with the "screw half measures, just fill your lineup with stars, AHLers and a few role guys." From that standpoint getting, say, Tavares vs. Zucker and Jarry? I could see it. If you were committed to this path and to signing Tavares at all costs.

I'm not going to begrudge him for that. Toronto is a tough market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad