Rumor: Isles/Avs Talking Trade? (Duchene)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
That's the thought process of the past that makes all these dumb proposals so off base.

Colorado needs top 6 talent. Colorado needs more Duchene's, Landeskog's and Mackinnon's.

They're running a solid top pairing in Zadorov-EJ. They have depth behind that with guys like Barrie, Beauchemin, Bigras and Wiercoch. Unless they can hit a home run and land a number one like Lindholm the Avalanche do not need to add more defense. Especially if it's at the expense of trading their biggest weakness which is top 6 talent.

I could not disagree more. EJ is 28, Beauchemin is 36 and won't be with the Avs past 2017-2018. Tyutin is 33 and a one year stop gap. Wiercioch has been a healthy scratch for several games and likely would be exposed in the expansion draft. Bigras has not played for some time with SA and speculation is that he has suffered another concussion.

Meloche is the only notable defensive prospect in Colorado's system, and the jury is still out on them. The Avs are extraordinarily thin in terms of NHL and organizational depth among defensemen.

The Avs would still have Mackinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Grigorenko as younger forwards, with Greer, Compher, and Jost not far off.

It would not surprise me if the Avs traded Duchene for another forward, one of lesser quality, because it would be consistent with extraordinarily poor management, which has been a running theme.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Surprise to read this. Personnaly I prefer MacKinnon and Landeskog. What would be needed for MacKinnon or Landeskog? Strome, Lee and a 1st (unprotected)? Or Nelson? Dal Colle?

Again, you are not putting forward anything that would be enticing. I suspect that you are aware of this.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Is the center position a weakness fore the Isles? I thought they were pretty set at center.

It is and it isn't. Right now our centers are Tavares-Strome-Nelson-Cizikas. Moving one of Strome or Nelson to wing and adding Duchene would definitely make us have a better roster. Strome played well at wing two seasons ago. Most people think he's struggled because he was playing out of position at wing last year and not center. I think he's playing poorly because of a lack of confidence.

I'd much rather try to acquire MacKinnon and play him on JT's right wing, but of course that's not up to me.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
What would it take from the Isles for a deal around Varly and 1 of Duch/Land/Mck?
Assume Halak is going to Col to try and offset salary

In order to land one of Duch/Land/McK I would think:

de Haan (would be 2nd to 3rd best d on Colorado instantly. Regardless, legitimate top-4 defenseman)
One of Nelson or Strome
1st rounder or 2nd tier prospect.

I think the value is there and Colorado would also save salary/cap.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I could not disagree more. EJ is 28, Beauchemin is 36 and won't be with the Avs past 2017-2018. Tyutin is 33 and a one year stop gap. Wiercioch has been a healthy scratch for several games and likely would be exposed in the expansion draft. Bigras has not played for some time with SA and speculation is that he has suffered another concussion.

Meloche is the only notable defensive prospect in Colorado's system, and the jury is still out on them. The Avs are extraordinarily thin in terms of NHL and organizational depth among defensemen.

The Avs would still have Mackinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Grigorenko as younger forwards, with Greer, Compher, and Jost not far off.

It would not surprise me if the Avs traded Duchene for another forward, one of lesser quality, because it would be consistent with extraordinarily poor management, which has been a running theme.

Wiercioch is on a 1 yr deal. He won't he exposed, he'll likely be re-signed post expansion if he keeps playing well.

This poor management you chastise is no longer in the office. You really don't know much about them. Especially if you think Meloche is more notable than Bigras...even if Bigras is injured.

Will Butcher is another name you don't give enough credit to. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Quit talking like you do.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Trades like that don't happen. If you wanted to get that crazy I'd say something like De Haan, Barzal, 2017 first and Halak.

Eww. That is horrible, kento.

Duchene + Varlamov for a pile of futures, a cap dump and De Haan?

Ugh. Please. God. No.

Duchene + Varlamov = Tavares or atleast Hamonic+.

Barzal is a solid prospect but he is not close to worth as much right now IMO.

Deals for Landeskog or Mac start and end with Tavares and only if we can talk to his agent about the possibility of re-signing before hand.

I highly doubt that the Avs would consider trading Duchene to the Isles unless we really like Hamonic and seperately have a trade lined up for one of EJ or Barrie.

If it is about Varlamov, I would be fine with a conditional 1st in 2017.

Condition is that the Islanders make the playoffs. If they fail, the Avs get the Isles 2nds in 2017 and their 2nd in 2018 instead.

The Avs needs are more players like Duchene, a crapload of depth (but we would be foolish to trade Duchene for it), a ROR type center and probably a #1 D.
From the Islanders it probably starts and ends with the names of Hamonic and Tavares.
If both are not available, I highly doubt that there will be any kind of trade involving Duchene.

If the Avs consider trading Duchene, I would call Carolina first and ask if they are willing to move Hanifin .
That Johansen type deal is the only scenario where I might be able to stomach losing him.

Last edited:

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I don't really know the Avs needs, what are they?

Offense. We need it badly. We're good on goalies, we have EJ & Barrie on RHD and Zadorov has been mostly phenomenal this season as top pairing LHD.

And to edit, we have AJ Greer, JT Compher and Tyson Jost entering the team next year. So futures are fine. I'd rather stay put but Varly should be traded, and only because of expansion draft.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Assume Halak is going to Col to try and offset salary

In order to land one of Duch/Land/McK I would think:

de Haan (would be 2nd to 3rd best d on Colorado instantly. Regardless, legitimate top-4 defenseman)
One of Nelson or Strome
1st rounder or 2nd tier prospect.

I think the value is there and Colorado would also save salary/cap.

No, the value is not present in your proposed offer. For any deal involving Duchene, Landeskog, Mackinnon, you are talking about Colorado trading one of their core franchise players. CO has massive cap space opening up and one of the wealthier private ownership groups in the NHL. The salary cap and costs do not appear to be a driving force.

Any trade involving one of those players would have to include a major, marketable piece that the CO management can sell to their fans.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Bigras is one of the best D prospects in hockey. He's pretty notable. Yes Beauchemin is old but Bigras will grow into being able to fill his role in the top 4 almost undoubtedly Having a top 4 of Zadorov, EJ, Barrie and Bigras going forward is nothing to complain about.

Yes I'd like to have a few more stud D prospects but it's not really a worry YET. Our top 4 looks fantastic going forward and when you're as bad as the Avalanche are as a hockey team and you aren't going to contend for another few years your top 4 is the biggest priority on D and that looks good. You don't focus on the future bottom pairing.

Also you say EJ is 28 like it's a bad thing. I don't know how he will look at 34-35 but at 28 he's looking and playing the best hockey of his career.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Wiercioch is on a 1 yr deal. He won't he exposed, he'll likely be re-signed post expansion if he keeps playing well.

This poor management you chastise is no longer in the office. You really don't know much about them. Especially if you think Meloche is more notable than Bigras...even if Bigras is injured.

Will Butcher is another name you don't give enough credit to. You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Quit talking like you do.

So if Wiercioch is re-signed and is not exposed, exactly who are the Avs going to expose on defense? I'll hang up and listen for your response on that issue.

Has Butcher been signed by the Avs? It certainly does not appear that he factors into Colorado's plans.

I will say that I have likely followed the Avs and been on these boards for far longer than you have. If you can imagine reading my posts in a snarky, condescending manner, that would be my intention.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
So the source in the OP specifically says that a trade involving a big name like Duchene would be a long shot, and this thread is all about blockbusters.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If it were Duchene, the Isles wouldn't have scouted the game against Boston. I can safely say that Duchene isn't their target.

Maybe they wanted to see how Colorado's offense ran without Duchene, to get a better idea of what Duchene brings. :sarcasm:

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Someone to play wing with Tavares would seem the more likely target.

That won't happen either. Have you seen the Avs lines these past two games? They can't afford to lose anyone until Greer/Compher show they are ready to take a spot in the line up. Well we can afford to lose Iggy but he won't waive for a while yet.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Maybe they wanted to see how Colorado's offense ran without Duchene, to get a better idea of what Duchene brings. :sarcasm:

If they really did that, they should be willing to add to Tavares by now for him :D.

I think the Avs in their whole history as a franchise have never looked as inept offensively as they did without Duchene in those games before our old friend Budaj finally showed some mercy for us last night by gifting us a few goals...

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Offense. We need it badly. We're good on goalies, we have EJ & Barrie on RHD and Zadorov has been mostly phenomenal this season as top pairing LHD.

And to edit, we have AJ Greer, JT Compher and Tyson Jost entering the team next year. So futures are fine. I'd rather stay put but Varly should be traded, and only because of expansion draft.

Quality top 6 players like MacKinnon, Duchene, and Landeskog.

So doesn't make sense to trade one away.

Well considering we have the same needs, I don't think there's a trade between us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium