Rumor: Isles/Avs Talking Trade? (Duchene)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Per Staple, who doesn't usually float names and really sticks to reporting from his sources in the org:

"There’s also the trade route. The Islanders and Avalanche have been scouting one another in recent days and Colorado is sinking in the West as the Isles are sinking in the East, but swinging a roster-changing deal for the likes of Matt Duchene seems like a long shot."

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hock...ing-for-offense-during-rough-start-1.12623546

Now clearly he says it's a long shot, and I agree, just wondering if a deal could be worked out. Only untouchables on Isles would be JT, Barzal and Sorokin I'd imagine.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Duchene+ for Tavares :naughty:

I really dont want to trade Duchene.

Discussed in another Avs/Isles thread:
Varly <-> Halak + 2017 1st (top3 protected). Turns into 2018 1st if NYI picks in top3.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Duchene+ for Tavares :naughty:

I really dont want to trade Duchene.

Varly <-> Halak + 2017 1st (top3 protected). Turns into 2018 1st if NYI picks in top3.

The difference between Varly and Halak is not a top-3 protected 1st.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

AVS trading core players for picks would be a major step in a different direction. I don't see it happening at all.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hmmm interesting

both teams need to figure out something cause they have been terrible... I could see something happen between the 2 teams

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Top 10 starter in his prime vs veteran backup goalie. Hmm.

Halak also single-handedly brought the Habs to the ECF.
The past is the past.
Varly is for sure a #1 but his recent play and contract doesn't make him significantly more value than a guy like Halak. Maybe a top-10 protected 1st but that might be stretching it. Avs would likely have to add something.
And where is all this "top-10" goalie stuff coming from? It seems I see it from Avs fans in every Varly thread. Does anyone have a link to "the list"?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Duchene isn't going anywhere.

If he was available saying Barzal is untouchable is ridiculous.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Now clearly he says it's a long shot, and I agree, just wondering if a deal could be worked out. Only untouchables on Isles would be JT, Barzal and Sorokin I'd imagine.

JT obviously would be an untouchable, but if you're going to include the other 2 as untouchable you can kiss any chance at landing Duchene. There'd be a significant plus attached to either.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Halak also single-handedly brought the Habs to the ECF.
The past is the past.
Varly is for sure a #1 but his recent play and contract doesn't make him significantly more value than a guy like Halak. Maybe a top-10 protected 1st but that might be stretching it. Avs would likely have to add something.
And where is all this "top-10" goalie stuff coming from? It seems I see it from Avs fans in every Varly thread. Does anyone have a link to "the list"?

A lot of people put Varly in their top 10 when ranking goalies. A lot put him outside the top 10. There's no official list (I realize you're being wise) but it's not a long shot to call him a top 10 goalie. I'd personally put him in the 8-12 range.

As for the value. I think even a top 10 protected first is a bit much. I think the Isles would need a little more assurance than that. Maybe a condition like a 2017 first if the Isles make the playoffs. If they miss it turns into a 2018 1st.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Is it possible the Avs would like to go in full rebuilt? Like most of their player can be available except MacKinnon and Landeskog and they would like to rebuilt around them? Just an exemple : Lee, Strome and 2017 1st for Duchene? The 1st could be a high one with their bad start.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
JT obviously would be an untouchable, but if you're going to include the other 2 as untouchable you can kiss any chance at landing Duchene. There'd be a significant plus attached to either.

Note the "I'd imagine", who knows what the untouchables really are. None knows what Garth s thinking about or leaning towards.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Is it possible the Avs would like to go in full rebuilt? Like most of their player can be available except MacKinnon and Landeskog and they would like to rebuilt around them? Just an exemple : Lee, Strome and 2017 1st for Duchene? The 1st could be a high one with their bad start.

I think anyone who is rationalwould know that the Avs would never consider this.

Strome is not much younger than Duchene.

If the Avs traded Duchene, you can bet that they are looking for a young top-4 defensemen or top defensive prospect, not another forward. This has only been talked about for at least two years now.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Duchene is the only real good offensive player on the Avs. Avs are screwed for a long time if they do that as Landeskog isn't an offense driver and MacKinnon, well... Would rather trade MacKinnon while he has value. Dude won't put it together. He has zero hockey sense.

Would build the offense around Duchene, Rantanen and Jost.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think anyone who is rationale would know that the Avs would never consider this.

Strome is not much younger than Duchene.

If the Avs traded Duchene, you can bet that they are looking for a young top-4 defensemen or top defensive prospect, not another forward. This has only been talked about for at least two years now.

That's the thought process of the past that makes all these dumb proposals so off base.

Colorado needs top 6 talent. Colorado needs more Duchene's, Landeskog's and Mackinnon's.

They're running a solid top pairing in Zadorov-EJ. They have depth behind that with guys like Barrie, Beauchemin, Bigras and Wiercoch. Unless they can hit a home run and land a number one like Lindholm the Avalanche do not need to add more defense. Especially if it's at the expense of trading their biggest weakness which is top 6 talent.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
A lot of people put Varly in their top 10 when ranking goalies. A lot put him outside the top 10. There's no official list (I realize you're being wise) but it's not a long shot to call him a top 10 goalie. I'd personally put him in the 8-12 range.

As for the value. I think even a top 10 protected first is a bit much. I think the Isles would need a little more assurance than that. Maybe a condition like a 2017 first if the Isles make the playoffs. If they miss it turns into a 2018 1st.

I agree that goalie lists are subjective but for example, below is the NHL Network's top-10

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-weighs-in-on-top-10-nhl-goalies/c-281364464

And based off of who was left off that list, I think Varly would be no lower than 15 and no higher than 20.
And then there is the issue of potential, projections and cost which would bring a lot of young and up-and-coming goalies into a higher value bracket. That could mean he may be the 15th best goalie in the league but he could hold the 25th most value.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Duchene is the only real good offensive player on the Avs. Avs are screwed for a long time if they do that as Landeskog isn't an offense driver and MacKinnon, well... Would rather trade MacKinnon while he has value. Dude won't put it together. He has zero hockey sense.

Would build the offense around Duchene, Rantanen and Jost.
Surprise to read this. Personnaly I prefer MacKinnon and Landeskog. What would be needed for MacKinnon or Landeskog? Strome, Lee and a 1st (unprotected)? Or Nelson? Dal Colle?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I agree that goalie lists are subjective but for example, below is the NHL Network's top-10

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-network-weighs-in-on-top-10-nhl-goalies/c-281364464

And based off of who was left off that list, I think Varly would be no lower than 15 and no higher than 20.
And then there is the issue of potential, projections and cost which would bring a lot of young and up-and-coming goalies into a higher value bracket. That could mean he may be the 15th best goalie in the league but he could hold the 25th most value.

Here is Sportsnet's Top 20 goalies "by the numbers"

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ranking-top-20-goaltenders-nhl-numbers/

They have Varly at #3.

As you said, it's subjective, but saying Varly isn't a top 10 goalie is no more arguable than saying he is. The fans on this website voted him as the #10 goalie a little over a week ago and that poll only had two Avalanche fans vote in it (I was one of them lol). The fans on this site aren't the answer to all the NHL's questions and are often very heavily out of whack with opinions but I'm just using it as another example as you did with your NHL Network list.

There's no real answer is Varlamov is a top 10 goalie or not but you will find as many people who say he's in that 10 range as who will say he isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad