Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Basement teams are bad at developing players. Largely, because they rush players onto the ice for monetary reasons.

Not sure about that. I hear Lafrenière is a byproduct of the Rangers being too good a team to develop top end talent. Something about not "spoon feeding power play minutes" or something like that.

Not saying players aren't rushed though...we do see that often. But basement or not, some teams draft and/or develop players well, some don't.

Reactions: BavelPure

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
This is a terrible take. Slaf is very noticeably improved from last year. Therme was always going to be an adaptation time. Exceptional players aside, it’s always that way, coming from Europe even more.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Dude will be fine. He might be one of those players that gets unlocked after being moved to a new team.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
19 years old. Hasn't played 80 games in the league yet. Before it, one tournament on North American ice.

He made a number of good plays against the Sabres last night that didn't end up in points. He's reading the game a lot better and a lot faster than he did at any point last year. His work to keep the puck in, and move it to Newhook, led to the game winning power play goal last night.

It took Joe Thornton conservatively 3 years to establish himself. His first two years were deemed poor enough that it basically soured his entire tenure in Boston. It can, and does, take big guys longer to put it together. I'm not saying he's going to have peak Thornton production. Merely that it's way, way, too soon.
Joe Thornton was a good player in his second year, even putting up 22 points in his final 31 games and close to a ppg in the playoffs. He was a bit of a partier. His first season, they played him less than most teams play their 4th line players. He jumped like 6 minutes more per night average through those first 3 years. I guess the points weren't all there in the second second season, only reaching 40ish, but he was a good player.

Last edited:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not even close.

I was worried about him going to MTL. Fans are too impatient there. He’s definitely not a McDavid/Crosby/Bedard instant impact guy. Few are. He’s got a great toolbox and needs time to learn how to use it.

It’s been said 1,000,000 times but I guess it bears repeating.

1) All players develop at their own pace
2) Development isn’t linear.
3) Powerforwards/large players take longer to develop.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
This thread is worse compared to other threads then Slaf is as 1st overall compared to other first overalls.

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
He's played 44 career games.

Give him a little bit of time before labeling him.
As a Devil's fan I would hear.. "Nico's a bust... Jack's a bust"... etc. These kids take time. Now it's "Holtz is a bust."

My goodness remember when some prospects played into their early 20's in the AHL before being placed on an NHL roster?

Reactions: Tuggy and LuGBuG

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I would certainly say he isn’t living up to 1st overall expectations but I would more certainly say it isn’t fair to call a player a bust who is 19 years old. Give him at least 2-3 more seasons and then we can assess him better

What are 1st overall expectations for 19 year olds?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm no scout, but I just can't see what the fuss is with him. Tuned in for 10 minutes yesterday and he went offside as if he didn't remember what the rule was

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Odd time for the thread I thought he looked really good last night despite note scoring.

OP says he has no speed.. Doesn't match my eye test.
OP is just trolling or didn't watch him play this year.
Even tho he hasn't scored yet, he's been a very good playmaker and defensive player this year.
Points will come, but I don't think he'll be putting up 50+ this year.
That will probably be next year at 20yo...

Reactions: Pazucha

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Jeff Gorton Top 10 picks:

JURAJ SLAFKOVSKY​

ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRE​

KAAPO KAKKO​

DAVID REINBACHER​

LIAS ANDERSSON​

VITALI KRAVTSOV​

Yikes.

Looks fine to me for a 19 year old who missed half his rookie season. Not exactly a star but the draft was not good at all in 2022.
I'm not writing him off at all, but don't write off a whole draft as bad because your team might have made a bad pick at 1.

I wouldn't trade Mintyukov for Slafkovsky and I'm sure half the teams in the top 10 feel the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad