Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
For really big players it takes longer to develop. How many times it has to be repeated?
Ekblad? Hedman? Okay.... Every individual is different. Laine pretty big too, was good from the get go.

This doesn't mean Slafkovsky can't become something interesting in the future. Just means he wasn't already there when drafted.

Reactions: DamonDRW

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again… not all draft years are the same and not all #1OA picks are equal, hence the reason I disagree with limiting any team with how many lottery picks they can get/win.
This opinion would hold more weight coming from a fan of almost any other team.

Reactions: loadie

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
Looks ok to me. Not SUPERSTAR flashes yet, but looks like he's going to develop into a solid player. His development was sporadic at best. So early to tell if he's the "worst".

Look at Yakapov... His sample size is huge and he's clearly the winner. Laff isn't far behind IMHO.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What is puzzling is that after he scored 10 points in 31 games in Liiga, Habs thought that he'd be ready for NHL.

TPS is my most-followed Liiga team. I can say that when I was watching Slafkovsky in Liiga, I saw a player who mostly got by with his physical advantage. Not by playing like Lindros, but by simply brute forcing plays, and being strong enough to cover for his decision making mistakes by shrugging off checks and pressure. This worked great for him at the u-20 level, but not so much in Liiga, where his struggle was playing with structure. He also was effective internationally, but those games are known for being chaotic, with ragtag squads that also have no structure.

His struggle was structured play and playing as a part of a system, and he definitely hadn't solved that issue in Liiga. Then they make him play in NHL instead of letting him get used to playing in a system in AHL. I don't think that NHL is the place to learn something like this.

Now, at the time—pre-draft—when I was talking about my observations, people weren't really taking it seriously, but I'd say that he's done just as I'd have expected him to do. He still can't properly play as a member of a system, and still needs to rely on being strong to get anything done.

I think Slafkovsky needed some time in AHL in order to learn to play as a part of a team. Habs thought they could just skip this step.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looks ok to me. Not SUPERSTAR flashes yet, but looks like he's going to develop into a solid player. His development was sporadic at best. So early to tell if he's the "worst".

Look at Yakapov... His sample size is huge and he's clearly the winner. Laff isn't far behind IMHO.
Slafkovsky has scored 11 points in NHL. I'm looking at Yakupov. He scored 31 points in his rookie season. 20 more points than Slafkovsky, in 4 more games. And that was a significantly lower-scoring era.

What basis do you have for calling Yakupov worse than Slafkovsky, at the equivalent point in their careers?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
83mwgw.gif

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
19 years old. Hasn't played 80 games in the league yet. Before it, one tournament on North American ice.

He made a number of good plays against the Sabres last night that didn't end up in points. He's reading the game a lot better and a lot faster than he did at any point last year. His work to keep the puck in, and move it to Newhook, led to the game winning power play goal last night.

It took Joe Thornton conservatively 3 years to establish himself. His first two years were deemed poor enough that it basically soured his entire tenure in Boston. It can, and does, take big guys longer to put it together. I'm not saying he's going to have peak Thornton production. Merely that it's way, way, too soon.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
His Hockey sense is so poor.

He might not end up worst but his Hockey sense alone should have eliminated him from being in contention for 1st.

What a horrible pick and then not getting Michkov. Set the franchise back another decade pretty much.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yep.

They picked for need instead of BPA imo.
Yeah, this was a pretty light year. But even then, Cooley probably was the pick, assuming they were not going to pick Wright. This honestly was a pretty unexciting draft for me. Of the top picks, I was pretty meh about everyone, I only actively disliked Wright(0 effort player) and Slafkovsky.

Cooley I think I only saw 3 games of, but he was the top-ranked prospect in his draft class who showed any kind of real skill. Reminded me of Zegras in the way that I underestimated him because I thought that he focused too much on being flashy, but Zegras honestly ended up being so effective that I figured Cooley would probably end up being more effective as well, simply because having a lot of high-end skill can compensate for so many concerns elsewhere. And looks like this theory's holding thus far.

His Hockey sense is so poor.

He might not end up worst but his Hockey sense alone should have eliminated him from being in contention for 1st.

What a horrible pick and then not getting Michkov. Set the franchise back another decade pretty much.
Yep, and his poor hockey sense was VERY apparent while watching him in Liiga. He had no idea where to be or where to go. I think I talked about this pretty extensively pre-draft.

Reactions: ReHabs and Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Lets take it easy here. He's freaking 19.

I always held Jiricek at clear first and perhaps Nemec behind and as a third followed by Kulich, Slafkovsky, Cooley, Lekkerimäki, Kemell, Lambert and others.
My point in writing this is that this draft was difficult to analyze.
Wright trended downwards a whole year and it was clear that he couldn't even be one of Canadas leading players at the WJC's etc. Cleary overhyped those years before?
Cooley was always good but still pretty small. But this good? I wasn't sure and now you could easily claim that Cooley and Jiricek are looking like the gems from this draft, for now that is.
Lekkerimäki got a lot of praise but not before this on going season he's started to show something really special in my opinion.
Kemell was always exciting with his shot and ability to dangle but his shot precision his draft year was pretty horrible for somewhat reason. Injury or illness, who knows. He was really ineffective.
Lambert who had and probably has the most spectacular tools together with Cooley in this draft had two lousy seasons before the draft and he still is really difficult to evaluate.
When it comes to his tools he's a clear first liner imo, but the overall impression makes it really difficult to know if he becomes a top9 or one of Jets leading players.
I mean Nyman will probably be better than a lot of those first rounders in the end.
Sapovaliv is another one, long-term project perhaps and not a sure bet but I really liked what I saw in him last year before he got injured? Also a second rounder...
Also, my flyers picked Gauthier before Jiricek as well. No matter if Cutter is good or not, I would take Jiricek before him all day everyday.

It's not like Laf and Byfield have been two great picks so far either.
Beniers has looked better than Power imo, but who knows in the long run...
Last but not least, the franchise drafting prospects are responsible too. If the player is not a clear cut star, then they will have a bigger role in building him up. It's not like Montreal has been the best in that aspect. Even if the Jets and perhaps old Oilers and Sabers wasn't that good either.
The 2019 draft is a good example of this for me. I still think Heinola was the second biggest talent amongst D's after Seider and that Thomson was the worst in the first round. But he hasn't been able to take the next step. Mostly because of a lousy organization and of course injuries and so on. Those things will always be relevant factors.
I still think that Heinola was up there after Hughes,Kakko, Seider, Zegras, Cozens, Dach and Boldy (but that happened way after the draft). Clearly above his Swedish peers in this draft and perhaps even before Byram. And I won't change my mind just because he got injured and mishandled by his organization. I saw him play and he dominated with both skill and especially IQ in the offense.
But at the end of the day it's history for now and the draft is what it is, a lottery. And if you don't get lucky and lay your hands on prospects like Bedard, McDavid and those generational talents you will always find busts and steals but I just don't get the point on highlighting a bust and especially if he's only 19 still. Just plain stupidity frankly.
Also, some franchises seem to believe that they are drafting a done product and won't or can't take any responsibility or do have the knowledge to develop him in the right way. It baffles me how bad some of these organizations are in that aspect. Almost like they wouldn't give a rats ass if someone succeeds or not.

To sum it all up, this wasn't like some other drafts. Therefor this thread is pretty stupid, it's making it to simple and excluding a lot of relevant factors.

Last edited:

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
Slafkovsky has scored 11 points in NHL. I'm looking at Yakupov. He scored 31 points in his rookie season. 20 more points than Slafkovsky, in 4 more games. And that was a significantly lower-scoring era.

What basis do you have for calling Yakupov worse than Slafkovsky, at the equivalent point in their careers?
I guess for me it's about sample size. Yakupov was in the league for much longer than Slafkovsky. Slaf had injuries and perhaps a rushed development. Neil too for sure. If you froze both in time, right at this time in their respective careers, you'd come to the conclusion that Slaf is worse. My take is he has time on his side. The eye test also looks better. I've seen both play. Neil never amounted to much over many seasons. Slaff still has time. I can see your point though.

Reactions: Svedu

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I guess for me it's about sample size. Yakupov was in the league for much longer than Slafkovsky. Slaf had injuries and perhaps a rushed development. Neil too for sure. If you froze both in time, right at this time in their respective careers, you'd come to the conclusion that Slaf is worse. My take is he has time on his side. The eye test also looks better. I've seen both play. Neil never amounted to much over many seasons. Slaff still has time. I can see your point though.
Good view and explanation. This shows the ability to problematize.

Dont 'get me wrong, I'm not following Slafkovsky career enough but it's not like Yakupov got better, if anything he actually seemed to get worse every year or so. And therefor it's too early to predict if Slaf will follow Yakupovs, in many ways astonishing development process or should we call it regression, or if he will become better and a good or decent player in the end.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Not sure about his talent level but possibly the worst last name for a hockey nickname for a #1 pick:

Slaffer?
Slaffs?

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
he made multiple smart plays... won most of his one-on-one battles again... tracking stats have shown he's actually faster than Newhook, who's obviously been blazing fast... such a corny thread.
The timing of this thread is off. If it had been made in preseason it would have made more sense.

In the last few games he's played some of his best hockey so far. Hasn't translated much into points, but we're starting to like what we're seeing. Which is saying a lot because a lot of us were worried in preseason too.

Reactions: Pazucha

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The timing of this thread is off. If it had been made in preseason it would have made more sense.

In the last few games he's played some of his best hockey so far. Hasn't translated much into points, but we're starting to like what we're seeing. Which is saying a lot because a lot of us were worried in preseason too.
His last 3 games, he averages like, 0.15 game score per game. Is this "some of his best hockey so far"?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Yakupov was also sheltered way more, and scored 17 goals with only 81 shots which surprisingly enough didn't prove at all sustainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad