Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Neutral fan here, but the wrongness of your argument prompts me..

No, that’s not how statistical averages work. On average, goals>1st assists>2nd assists. Sure, a guy could theoretically have 20 second assists that are all amazing and more involved than 20 first assists, but that’s incredibly unlikely. A guy could also stop 100 goals against and score 0 points- that guy would be valuable, but again, statistical averages say that just doesn’t happen. It’s make believe to think that Slaf has outperformed in offensive production but it’s all in secondary points.
Remind me .... which award does the NHL hand out for "primary points"?

It's also ironic that posters arguing points in the slaf thread, ignore points in the Monahan trade thread.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Some of the games I saw Cooley in, he was invisible all game long, but walked out with an assist. That's why pure stat-watching is highly dubious. Many games Slaf played before Christmas, he had zero points, but actually had strong games. It was clear to some of us just focusing on his game rather than his points, that he was on the verge.

Guys like Joe Thornton and Owen Nolan were fine examples of this. Very good comparables actually, both big guys, 1OA picks and both were amply below Slaff in PPG over the same number of games even as of October when lots of people/posts, like many when this clown thread started, were calling Slaf "the worst 1OA ever".

I remember both those players very well. And especially Thornton was a lot like Slaf was last year. Huge kid, clumsy, couldn't stay on his feet, "looked" (although I argue was not) lost and his ppg were horrible. And many fans, even Bruins fans, were already calling him a bust. I remember thinking it was wishful thinking as they are a bitter rival, lol...I could see that he was going to be a great player in the "glimpses". Add to all that that Slafkovsky is a Euro and his first time in N/A and playing on our rinks and smaller rink size,.

I never doubted this kid would prove naysayers wrong, and I put my money where my mouth was under a barrage of mocking smilies and worse. I did so from the very start. It was my assessment, And it was always possible I was wrong. I just didn't see it as I saw so much skill and smarts in those glimpses. And he was making amazing setups that were flubbed by guys like Anderson. Plus, he had the drive and right attitude. Which I say is the secret ingredient that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Oh I can’t say shit about their overall game or value, I’m just saying that the “maybe secondary scoring can be more important than primary scoring” thing doesn’t hold up with statistics, that’s all.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Oh I can’t say shit about their overall game or value, I’m just saying that the “maybe secondary scoring can be more important than primary scoring” thing doesn’t hold up with statistics, that’s all.
My point was that giving an extra tick for a primary assist doesn't always apply and therefore it is not trustworthy data. Law of averages or statistics or whatever, doesn't matter, because the subjective opinion that one is more important than the other is a fabricated stat, someone somewhere came up with. Where does the term primary point even come from? Do I have to believe it is even a performance metric? Based on what? Does the NHL recognize it? I don't believe they do.

Bottom line, if people in here want to argue that Slaf is the worst #1 pick of all time, they better be able to eat some crow.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
When you posted back in December, Slaf had 7 points in 29 games (pacing for 20 over 82) and literally looked like the worst number one pick ever.

Since then hes scored 13 in 20. A 53 point pace, plus hes looking night and day better.

We're not bragging, we're just happy.

Bragging would be bringing up the time the Canadiens embarassed your Leafs in the playoffs.
And they were leading 3-1 !!!

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I'll make sure to find and bump this thread and revisit all the hot takes in a couple of years :laugh:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
His impact has gone beyond point production this year. If he was on a top team, I think he would be pacing for over 60 points. Even at his lowest production he was dishing scoring chances to incompetent linemates, or to a stone cold Caufield. Recently, hes been one of the better forwards. His progression has been very impressive. He's just a tough player to figure out his ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad