Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Its pretty easy to say hes on track to be one of the worst first overall picks just because those tend to be so damn good. You do NOT need more than 1/2 seasons to see if he is gonna be better than Matthews, Stamkos, Tavares, Mack, Dahlin, even the lowest tier in Ekblad, RNH, EJ, Owens are significantly better.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Its pretty easy to say hes on track to be one of the worst first overall picks just because those tend to be so damn good. You do NOT need more than 1/2 seasons to see if he is gonna be better than Matthews, Stamkos, Tavares, Mack, Dahlin, even the lowest tier in Ekblad, RNH, EJ, Owens are significantly better.
Yeah, doesn’t mean he’ll be a bad player. A regular 70pts guy is a very good player, just not a good 1st overall. When you got guys like Crosby, Matthews, McDavid, and Ovechkin, you’re in some elite company.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Seems to have no particular talent, no skill, no speed, big with no big man qualities, doesn’t produce points, his shot is bad, his passing is average… Is he the worst first pick ever ?
This has aged as well. :laugh:

He's been literally dominating in all those areas (but for his shot, for now). And on most nights is easily the best player on the ice for Montreal. And the best player period in some of those games.

A total beast of a player in all 3 zones. And the clip below is the shape of many things to come. That's Sidney Crosby he schooled back in the D zone. And he's JUST 19. Just think when he grows up...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

He's been literally dominating in all those areas (but for his shot, for now). And on most nights is easily the best player on the ice for Montreal. And the best player period in some of those games.

A total beast of a player in all 3 zones. And the clip below is the shape of many things to come. That's Sidney Crosby he schooled back in the D zone. And he's JUST 19. Just think when he grows up...

A bit early for a victory lap, although it's true Slafkovsky is improving exponentially. Whether or not he becomes a star, it's fair to say this thread title is looking sillier by the month.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN

If only he finished that, he'd no longer be a bust.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

The rush was nice, but if that is considered "schooling," hopefully Crosby can even read by the time he graduates.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
The rush was nice, but if that is considered "schooling," hopefully Crosby can even read by the time he graduates.
He did on that play. Maybe Sid will get him next time. Hope you understand my post was meant to strongly contrast the extreme ridiculousness of the OP. Of course Slaf would have to make miraculous strides to be anywhere near Crosbys career. Sid is one of the GOATS.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
He did on that play. Maybe Sid will get him next time. Hope you understand my post was meant to strongly contrast the extreme ridiculousness of the OP. Of course Slaf would have to make miraculous strides to be anywhere near Crosbys career. Sid is one of the GOATS.
I'm talking about keeping it away from a forechecker. That's pretty basic stuff no matter the player on either side. The rush was nice though, and I tend to mostly ignore insane bashing or insane hype so I'm just commenting on the fact that the 2 second game of keep away is a long way from schooling.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
I don't know he's looked pretty good to me.

I think a lot of rival fans are going to want him on their team one day. He looks very good at 5v5 for a guy his age. No reason to think he is not going to level up again. This guy wants it. He's got a good head on his shoulders, very coachable, humble and willing. I really like this pick.

I'm sure this guy is going to tilt the ice one day.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
A bit early for a victory lap, although it's true Slafkovsky is improving exponentially. Whether or not he becomes a star, it's fair to say this thread title is looking sillier by the month.
I'm taking the victory lap without reservation in context of this thread, which IMO was designed to troll, and should've been shut down right away, let alone been allowed to run over 50 pages. Just my opinion.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Hughes started terribly
Mackinnon had a great start but spent quite a few years looking like just a decent NHLer, hardly worthy of a 1st overall pic before he reached his potential

Development isn't linear and not everyone can be McDavid or Matthews, some guys take longer to develop. I guess only on the internet could a 19 year old already be the worst EVER lmao. Lafreneire is in year 4 and hardly any further along.

Danarqhy

Oct 27, 2022
Check Republic
youtube.com
He's playing at a 50+ point pace over the last 20 or so games, which is not bad at all for a 19 year old. He might never be a 90 or 100 points offensive dynamo, but he seems like he was the correct pick at #1 at the very least. Nemec is super impressive too, but a 6,3 potential power forward with great playmaking is a pretty rare breed.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He might never be a 90 or 100 points offensive dynamo, but he seems like he was the correct pick at #1 at the very least.
Cant agree. At all.

Nemec looks like a #1 or a premier #2. Even if Slaj becomes a 65 point two-way beast, he won’t be as valuable.

Cooley is over 0.5PPG now. He also plays a more valuable position and is tougher than his frame suggests.

i doubt CBJ would take Slafkovsky for Jiricek straight up either. Top pair D are worth their weight in gold - especially when young and RHS.

An argument can made that Mintyukov also looks like a more valuable asset at this time.

I don’t see Slafkovsky ending up a Top 5 player from this class. Not the worst #1 overall ever though, that’s for sure

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
I can tell you all, very sincerely, that 88 games into his career, it's over. GG. Goodnight sweet career. It is with astute and distinguished accountability that I can firmly tell you that no player (in the history of the NHL) has improved after 88 games played in the league.

Let's also take a moment to mention that he is already 19 years old (past his prime). It's a fairly well known fact that a player's prime is 15 - 18 years old. He will only go downhill from here.

If they're lucky, the Habs can perhaps fetch a 4th rounder for him if they act fast. Good luck.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Cant agree. At all.

Nemec looks like a #1 or a premier #2. Even if Slaj becomes a 65 point two-way beast, he won’t be as valuable.

Cooley is over 0.5PPG now. He also plays a more valuable position and is tougher than his frame suggests.

i doubt CBJ would take Slafkovsky for Jiricek straight up either. Top pair D are worth their weight in gold - especially when young and RHS.

An argument can made that Mintyukov also looks like a more valuable asset at this time.

I don’t see Slafkovsky ending up a Top 5 player from this class. Not the worst #1 overall ever though, that’s for sure
It's way too early for a re-draft. The only thing that matters for the Habs is that Slaf is producing and taking massive strides in his development this year.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Montreal forced him last year, you can take a kid who's 0.32ppg in Liiga and expect him to be good in the NHL. I'd have kept him there till he got to be at least ppg.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Cant agree. At all.

Mintyukov was never a consideration for 1OA so he was never the correct pick.

It was between Wright, Cooley, Slaf and Nemec. Right now I wouldn't trade Slaf for Cooley or Wright. With Suzuki and Dach I really don't see Cooley forcing his way into the top 6 there.

At the very least Slaf is not looking like a terrible pick. Way too early to make any kind of definitive statements past that.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Mintyukov was never a consideration for 1OA so he was never the correct pick.

It was between Wright, Cooley, Slaf and Nemec. Right now I wouldn't trade Slaf for Cooley or Wright. With Suzuki and Dach I really don't see Cooley forcing his way into the top 6 there.

At the very least Slaf is not looking like a terrible pick. Way too early to make any kind of definitive statements past that.
I was replying to someone who said they made “the right pick”

Nemec is clearly looking better. Cooley is scoring more and plays a more premium position.

Of course it’s too early to say anything definitively. But the early returns suggest he isn’t going to prove the right pick

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was replying to someone who said they made “the right pick”

Nemec is clearly looking better. Cooley is scoring more and plays a more premium position.

Of course it’s too early to say anything definitively. But the early returns suggest he isn’t going to prove the right pick
It's way too early to say anything definitive either way.

Let's leave it at that

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's playing at a 50+ point pace over the last 20 or so games, which is not bad at all for a 19 year old. He might never be a 90 or 100 points offensive dynamo, but he seems like he was the correct pick at #1 at the very least. Nemec is super impressive too, but a 6,3 potential power forward with great playmaking is a pretty rare breed.
I think Cooley was the pick, and I do expect the Habs to regret not taking Cooley at the end of the day. That's not a slight against Slaf, who should become a 30g 60p PWF. His progression has been good this year, but he's playing a much easier position with much better (and more consistent) linemates. And Cooley's still outproducing him.

Cooley has twice as many primary points at 5v5:

Slafkovsky
4g 13p 7 primary points
1.16 p/60
0.63 primary p/60

Cooley
4g 15p 14 primary points
1.46 p/60
1.36 primary p/60

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad