Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
most if the "worst" number one ever picks are selected in weak drafts .
Where in most other draft yeas they would be way farther down the list

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I was being sarcastic. You judge a player based on the entire season of play, rather than cherry-picking hot and cold streaks. Should be fairly obvious for someone with over 25000 comments on this site.
Its fairly obvious that he was illustrating that Slafkovsky is a night and day different player than he was at the start of the season.

Soon enough, we wont have to continue explaining this.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
For what its worth, he still have the most points in his draft year
Cooley and Mintyukov both have more points than Slafkovsky this season. Mintyukov is a defenseman.

Its fairly obvious that he was illustrating that Slafkovsky is a night and day different player than he was at the start of the season.

Soon enough, we wont have to continue explaining this.
And if he keeps it up for another couple of seasons, he clearly won't be the worst 1OA in the past 20 years.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Of course points matter. No need to nitpick. I'll edit my point to say 'who cares only about points.'

That's a remarkably cheap and shitty way to post. Own your words.
It's not only about points. ...
Oops, seems like your post hoc editing went awry. Convince me now that you're not a fundamentally dishonest poster.

To repeat what ought to be blatantly obvious: no NHL team drafts a LW first overall with the mindset that points production doesn't matter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rahad

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Slafkovsky is now tied for 5th in scoring among Montreal players with 13 points. It's less that he's a bad pick, and more that Montreal sucks hardcore and is getting good goaltending.
All 1OA picks play on a team that sucks. It's not an excuse. Bedard is leading the Blackhawks in scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
All 1OA picks play on a team that sucks. It's not an excuse. Bedard is leading the Blackhawks in scoring.
Dude... most of the first overall look bad if you compare him to Bedard. Same goes for comparing first overall to MCdavid or Crosby.

He is doing okay, if you compare to Power (2021) or Laff(2020). He is also only 4 pts behind Cooley.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Dude... most of the first overall look bad if you compare him to Bedard. Same goes for comparing first overall to MCdavid or Crosby.

He is doing okay, if you compare to Power (2021) or Laff(2020). He is also only 4 pts behind Cooley.
You've totally missed the point with your response.

Being on a team that sucks is not good excuse for a 10A forward to have poor offensive production.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
You've totally missed the point with your response.

Being on a team that sucks is not good excuse for a 10A forward to have poor offensive production.
LOL.. You are the one with the Bedard comment.... Why don't you compare him with Yakupov or Laff? You are comparing him to a generational talent.

He is #5 in pts on his team. The only reason Montreal is not in the bottom 5 is goalie.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
LOL.. You are the one with the Bedard comment.... Why don't you compare him with Yakupov or Laff? You are comparing him to a generational talent.

He is #5 in pts on his team. The only reason Montreal is not in the bottom 5 is goalie.
Methinks you haven't actually read the OP. Or any of my posts in this thread.

Comparing Slaf to Yakupov and Lafreniere very much means that Slaf might be the worst 1OA in the past 20 drafts.

I don't even understand what point you're trying to make here.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
He has seven points in his last eight games and playing very well.

The state of the team he plays on also has to be taken into account when assessing his points total. He's fifth on the Habs compared for example to Cooley who is 9th on the Coyotes. There are lots of reasons to be cautiously optimistic.
He's currently on pace for 31 points.

Huzzah!

On a more serious note, if he continues at his current pace of 0.7 PPG, he'll finish the season with 50+ points. That would be an encouraging sign.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
He's currently on pace for 31 points.

Huzzah!

On a more serious note, if he continues at his current pace of 0.7 PPG, he'll finish the season with 50+ points. That would be an encouraging sign.
At the end of last season, hell at the end of October, I don't think anyone expected 30 points. He literally looked like he was playing in a league 2 or 3 levels above where he should have been. His play is encouraging. The numbers really are secondary, but they'll come too.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
At the end of last season, hell at the end of October, I don't think anyone expected 30 points. He literally looked like he was playing in a league 2 or 3 levels above where he should have been. His play is encouraging. The numbers really are secondary, but they'll come too.
We'll just have to wait and see where he ends up at the end of the year.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Slaf has looked like an elite 1OA pick over the last 15 games
The premise of this thread is so laughable I can't blame you for pushing the other way, but "Elite" is overkill. Slafkovsky isn't at Bedard's level and likely never will be. On the other hand, Slafkovsky's steady development is becoming a tutorial for a few people in this thread on how NOT to evaluate a pick. You DON'T assume every top pick is equally NHL-ready, which means: You DON'T add up points from an 18/19-year old's first season and proclaim you've got him figured out. He may never be elite, but the mounting evidence suggests he could be very good.

2022 had a couple of picks who looked more NHL-ready, but nobody with elite talent clearly above the rest of the pack. So Montreal opted for greater potential over immediate plug-and-play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad