Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Nope. All three of them had better numbers than Slafkovsky did at the same number of games. But kudos to you for pointing out that Slaf might well be the worst 1OA in over 40 years.

Slafkovsky is playing well. I know you’re trolling but there is more than points.

Sigh. So much wrong I'm honestly not sure where to begin.

I didn't say Slaf was a worse overall pick than Wickenheiser, Yak, or Daigle. I simply pointed out that all 3 of them had better starts to their careers than Slafkovsky. Therefore, it's not a slam dunk that they were worse picks than Slafkovsky. It's foolish to argue otherwise.

But on that note, points production absolutely does matter when a team drafts a winger with the first overall pick. I honestly can't fathom why you're arguing this. Your beloved Thornton is regarded as one of the all time greats precisely because he put up a boatload of points over the course of his career.

It boggles my mind you keep glossing over this point.

Slafkovsky has to produce points to justify his 1OA status.

This should not be a complicated or contentious issue.

Knowing the career trajectories of the players you named versus how useful Slafkovsky is to his team makes your posts come off as trolling or really f***ing stupid.

Your posts are contentious because it doesn’t really seem like you watch hockey at all.

If your argument is that we can’t tell that Slaf will be better than Wickenheiser, Yak or Daigle - we can. He will play a far longer career barring injury.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Slafkovsky cannot be near Owen Power level of bad. Power has been terrible this season.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Slafkovsky is now tied for 5th in scoring among Montreal players with 13 points. It's less that he's a bad pick, and more that Montreal sucks hardcore and is getting good goaltending.

Reactions: Devonator

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Slafkovsky is playing well. I know you’re trolling but there is more than points.

Knowing the career trajectories of the players you named versus how useful Slafkovsky is to his team makes your posts come off as trolling or really f***ing stupid.

Your posts are contentious because it doesn’t really seem like you watch hockey at all.

If you argument is that we can’t tell that Slaf will be better than Wickenheiser, Yak or Daigle - we can. He will play a far longer career barring injury.
The question was "Is Slafkovsky the worst 1 pick ever?"

Not "How useful is Slavkovsky to his team?"

Or "Is Slafkovsky doing more than putting up points?" Even though points production is an extremely important consideration for a winger who is drafted 1OA.

The question I asked long ago, paraphrased in response to your post, is what is it about Slafkovsky's development that has you convinced he will soon be removed from consideration as the worst 1st overall pick? Because if he continues to produce at a 30 point pace, he will remain in consideration for that title.

So far all I've heard from a small number of Habs fans are insults and ad hominem attacks.

And to repeat, all 3 of Wickenheiser, Yakupov, and Daigle put up superior points production at the same point in their careers than Slafkovsky has.

No longer looking for responses at this point. Get back to me when Slavkovsky starts producing points at a rate the clearly elevates him above others you think are worse 1OAs than him.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I was close to the ice for the game last week in Carolina, and made a point of watching him closely all game.

Smooth acceleration, reach, some really quick reactions, a couple really creative plays, got to dangerous areas, overall made good decisions- at least that night, he looked great. If y'all don't want him, we'll take him. He'll put up points playing with players that have even marginal finishing ability, there's no question in my mind. But he's a young player playing with a terrible supporting cast, it'll take time for him to fully come into his own. Patience. He won't be McDavid, but to my eye he looked damn good.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Or "Is Slafkovsky doing more than putting up points?" Even though points production is an extremely important consideration for a winger who is drafted 1OA.

The question I asked long ago, paraphrased in response to your post, is what is it about Slafkovsky's development that has convinced he will soon be removed from consideration as the worst 1st overall pick? Because if he continues to produce at a 30 point pace, he will remain in consideration for that title.

So far all I've heard from a small number of Habs fans are insults and ad hominem attacks.

And to repeat, all 3 of Wickenheiser, Yakupov, and Daigle put up superior points production at the same point in their careers than Slafkovsky has.

No longer looking for responses at this point. Get back to me when Slavkovsky starts producing points at a rate the clearly elevates him above others you think are worse 1OAs than him.
Those 3 you listed had a short life in the NHL. Slaf will have a full career in the NHL which = >>>>>> than those 3 .

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

The question I asked long ago, paraphrased in response to your post, is what is it about Slafkovsky's development that has convinced he will soon be removed from consideration as the worst 1st overall pick? Because if he continues to produce at a 30 point pace, he will remain in consideration for that title.

I think the answer is watching him which you clearly haven’t if you’re still okay with comparing him to Wickenheiser.

As you so astutely posted, this isn’t contentious it’s obvious on it’s face that you don’t watch him. Stop posting about him until you do.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

It's not only about points. He was drafted as the player who would impact his team the most of the available players. You don't necessarily draft the player with the most offense, even if it's a forward, at no1 if they won't be the best player.

All of those players you named are worse picks because their overall game won't be as good as Slafs to justify what they bring with extra points. And by the way, I do think Slafkovsky will end of producing at an elite level, but it will take longer to show.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Who cares about points. He was drafted as the player who would impact his team the most of the available players. You don't necessarily draft the player with the most offense, even if it's a forward, at no1 if they won't be the best player.

All of those players you named are worse picks because their overall game won't be as good as Slafs to justify what they bring with extra points. And by the way, I do think Slafkovsky will end of producing at an elite level, but it will take longer to show.
It's become utterly comical at this point.

What team in their right mind drafts a left winger 1OA with the mindset that "points production doesn't matter." Are you even reading what you type before you hit the "Post reply" button?

The following two statements are not contradictory:

1. Slavkovsky may end up being the best player from the 2022 draft.
2. Slavkovsky may end up being the worst 1OA from the past 20 drafts.

Neither statement is a certainty this soon after the 2022 draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galactico

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

What team in their right mind drafts a left winger 1OA with the mindset that "points production doesn't matter." Are you even reading what you type before you hit the "Post reply" button?

One of them is already false

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
One of them is already false
Uh huh. Colour me cynical, but I have my doubts you can back your claim up with facts.

But please, do elaborate which one is false and provide evidence in support of your claim.

It's not like I've been asking of that for days now, or anything.

Reactions: OKR

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I don’t understand how a guy that’s 6’7 330lb gets rocked so often

It is a weird phenomenon I haven’t seen from a top prospect before, unless I’m forgetting someone……..

Guy doesn’t even have a full seasons worth of NHL games under his belt and he has pretty heavy YouTube Mixtape of hits against him.
Like absolutely heavy heavy hits

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC

Of course points matter. No need to nitpick. I'll edit my point to say 'who cares only about points.'

🤣

It is a weird phenomenon I haven’t seen from a top prospect before, unless I’m forgetting someone……..

Guy doesn’t even have a full seasons worth of NHL games under his belt and he has pretty heavy YouTube Mixtape of hits against him.
Yeah, it's getting better but he wasn't ready for the NHL at all in his first year, he looked like a deer in headlights.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

The Habs love to let their young prospects get crushed a few times a month. Keeps them humble and hungry.

• Haha
Reactions: Guess

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I was close to the ice for the game last week in Carolina, and made a point of watching him closely all game.

Smooth acceleration, reach, some really quick reactions, a couple really creative plays, got to dangerous areas, overall made good decisions- at least that night, he looked great. If y'all don't want him, we'll take him. He'll put up points playing with players that have even marginal finishing ability, there's no question in my mind. But he's a young player playing with a terrible supporting cast, it'll take time for him to fully come into his own. Patience. He won't be McDavid, but to my eye he looked damn good.
This is what we’re seeing and saying on our board, will probably take a year or two more to fully pop and once he gets more confidence in his shot that’s when he’ll really take off

Reactions: cptjeff and viceroy

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

You realize what your saying with the bolded right? That means a player worse than Yakupov would be the best in their draft class, which would make the 2022 draft the worst of all time by an unfathomably large margin...

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

All you clowns, who have only viewed Slaf through the point totals page on NHL.com, please take note to this objective fans take, who actually took the time to watch the player play hockey.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Uh huh. Colour me cynical, but I have my doubts you can back your claim up with facts.

But please, do elaborate which one is false and provide evidence in support of your claim.

It's not like I've been asking of that for days now, or anything.
You’ve already said you aren’t taking replies but wasn’t expecting you to be unable to read the fact that anyone who watches Slafkovsky knows he will have a long career. He is playing very well at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad