Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm not a Habs fan but as an outside observer, why does there seem to be so much panic as to Slaf being a bust? The kid's only 19.

I don't watch every shift of his that's why I ask.
In the past XX games he's looked significantly better but over his NHL career to date he's been alarmingly bad for a majority of it.

For a player whose ONLY selling point was his tournament-play-against-professional-men, he didn't look ready to play against NHL opponents. And the physical aspect has been slow coming but he's been better physically.

I really think he'll be a late bloomer, you can see he has several pieces to his game that if added up will be impressive. I don't think he was worth the 1OA or will ever be better than other options at 1OA. You don't draft projects who can't score with the 1OA pick on the off-chance fifty things go right and they turn into prime Cam Neely.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
So for the 3rd time, when can we start comparing players? Please be very specific.

I think 10% of a players career would be a good place to start, but maybe development conversations should be had when we hit 50%...
You don't need my permission to compare players. However, it seems very superficial to be discussing points. These kids are on a steep learning curve, which means their PPG will shift radically as they develop. Slafkovsky's PPG was about .25 for his first 50 games, then he started figuring things out and has been hovering around .5 PPG since November. Where he goes from here is anyone's guess. That's why I don't see the value in focusing on point totals at this stage, since they're in constant flux.

I'm more interested in watching Slafkovsky gain confidence and learn to make more room for himself. That's the key to everything else, including points. His first 40ish games were pretty bad. He looked overwhelmed and not NHL-ready. I was told to be patient, but I admit it was hard to focus on the process when the results sucked. He started playing more aggressively a couple of months ago, creating plays and setting up chances that weren't converted, but could have been. I was told the points would come and, shortly afterwards, they did.

As a Habs fan who's watched him from day-one, I can tell you he's still in a steep learning curve. If he becomes the player who drove through the Canes' D all the way to the net as he did last night, he'll be a very productive player. If he doesn't develop a better sense of his surroundings, he'll become no better than a decent depth player. He's only played 73 NHL games... let's give him at least another full season before reaching any valid conclusions.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Where has his strong shot gone?

Granted, I do think he takes too much time to dust off the puck most of the time. But his wicked shot was one of the main things he was lauded for at the draft.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
SlafGOATsky after reading that ridiculous thread and proven his haters wrong with a solid month

juraj-slafkovsky-montreal-canadiens.gif

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Yes it is - Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games as a rookie, and was -4.

Slaf had 10 in 39, and was -13.

He still hasn’t cleared 31 career points yet and he’s played nearly twice the games.

He wishes he was as productive as Yakupov.
Yawn. Is Yakupov better than Jack Hughes too?

Slafkovsky is producing more or less at a similar rate this year as Yakupov did in the years following that rookie year. Feel free to @ me if Slaf is also out of the league at age 25 after being bounced around as a 4th line producer.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Yawn. Is Yakupov better than Jack Hughes too?

Slafkovsky is producing more or less at a similar rate this year as Yakupov did in the years following that rookie year. Feel free to @ me if Slaf is also out of the league at age 25 after being bounced around as a 4th line producer.

If he keeps getting concussed, he may well be.

I like the kid, I’m rooting for him, I hope it works out. It was a bad draft, fine.

It’s between him and Yakupov for the worst 1st overall since Patrik Stefan, and the kid has a lot of work to do to be even as productive as Yakupov.

If he’s not ready, he shouldn’t be getting concussed in the NHL.

As Bob Hartley used to say, “the NHL is not a developmental league.”

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Slafkovsly is a 0.3 ppg (22p in 73 games) player part way though his 2nd year. 25p/82gm.

Yakapov was a 0.495ppg (55p in 111 games) player after 2 seasons. 41p/82gm

One was clearly better at this point in their careers.
Yakupov's development did not simply stall; he got worse as years went by. The odds of that same thing happening to Slaf seem marginal without major injury issues (which is a real possibility but I wouldn't speculate on that just yet). He looks a lot better this year than last year.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

I like the kid, I’m rooting for him, I hope it works out. It was a bad draft, fine.

It’s between him and Yakupov for the worst 1st overall since Patrik Stefan, and the kid has a lot of work to do to be even as productive as Yakupov.

There’s no reports that he was concussed last night. As far as we know he’s fine and ready to keep going. And we know he was healthy and had no lingering effects from last year coming into the year and his play reflects that so I don’t know what you’re babbling about.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Your concerns over a kid who has been diagnosed with literally zero concussions in his NHL career so far seem like a strawman argument to me but you do you. I can't say it's not a valid concern as concussions are indeed dangerous.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yakupov's development did not simply stall; he got worse as years went by. The odds of that same thing happening to Slaf seem marginal without major injury issues (which is a real possibility but I wouldn't speculate on that just yet). He looks a lot better this year than last year.
I don't know if Yakupov got worse. He literally just rode unsustainable numbers for a shortened season. And, then when his percentages went close to league average is production looked terrible.

As for Slafkovsky, everyone knew in a regular year he wasn't a 1OA worthy talent. But, the 2022 draft had no player clearly worthy of going 1OA. It's not like this draft had a Matthews, MacKinnon or Dahlin level talent. While Hischier has exceeded expectations, guys like Hischier, Ekblad and Owen Power, and now Slafkovsky were viewed as generally the weakest 1OA's at their draft date since 2013. But, 18 year old kids are unpredictable. Sometimes you get a ready made star like McDavid, Patrick Kane, or Matthews, but it's rare for a D+1 player to come in and be a star player. Even guys who turn into super stars have road bumps like MacKinnon and Stamkos. If Slafkovsky was in the 2023 draft class, I doubt anyone is seriously considering taking him before 4oa. 2022 just happened to be a down year, it's not like anyone else from that class is really setting the league on fire.

Reactions: HabzSauce

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If Slafkovsky busts Montreal Canadiens and their fans should blame SM liiga's piss poor level
and player development of Slafkovsky's busting if it truly happens.

SM liiga is not anymore any-kind development league for future NHLers.

Last edited:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It is the bottom line....you are commenting on a player whom you haven't even watched play. You are ignorant to the type of player Slaf is. I'm deflecting nothing. Go watch him play for a few months and then let's have a discussion.
I asked a question of Plastic Joseph. You responded to my post without answering that question. Instead, you made an assumption about whether or not I'm familiar with Slaf's game. That's the deflection and why I'm finding it difficult to take your posts seriously.

The bottom line is he's on pace for 30 points in his second NHL season. That's incredibly underwhelming for a winger who was taken 1st overall.

Logan Cooley.

Simon Nemec.

Even Wright would’ve likely done more with the ice time Slaf has been given
Don't forget Mintyukov. Although, in Slafkovsky's defense, no team would have drafted Mintukov first overall. But he's been more impressive than Slaf so far.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Slaf's last 23 games have been significantly stronger. He's playing much better and the points are starting to come. Which is exactly what development is and why the theme of this thread has gone from dumb to dumber. Kid starts slowly and then starts improving – no surprise to anyone, except for a few people who tried to spin Slafkovsky's first few dozen games as an "Ah-hah!" moment. Embarrassing.
You stated in another post that he's scoring at a 0.5 ppg rate in the past 20-ish games. That's not exactly impressive for a player in their second season either. It certainly doesn't remove Slaf from consideration as the worst 1OA ever. I agree it's too soon to pass judgement on him, but it's on him to prove the doubters wrong, not the other way round.

• Haha
Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I asked a question of Plastic Joseph. You responded to my post without answering that question. Instead, you made an assumption about whether or not I'm familiar with Slaf's game. That's the deflection and why I'm finding it difficult to take your posts seriously.

The bottom line is he's on pace for 30 points in his second NHL season. That's incredibly underwhelming for a winger who was taken 1st overall.

Don't forget Mintyukov. Although, in Slafkovsky's defense, no team would have drafted Mintukov first overall. But he's been more impressive than Slaf so far.
You keep repeating his point totals. Please provide some commentary on how he has looked, how he has progressed (or not) from last year to the start of this year to now. How has his passing been, vision, reach, board work, defensive awareness. I'm curious on your thoughts on his overall play.

Reactions: viceroy

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Drugs, alcohol, and attitude can affect these players as well. It's not only injuries.

He seems to be improving.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You keep repeating his point totals. Please provide some commentary on how he has looked, how he has progressed (or not) from last year to the start of this year to now. How has his passing been, vision, reach, board work, defensive awareness. I'm curious on your thoughts on his overall play.
No. Because point totals matter when a LW is drafted 1OA. I can't even believe this is something that needs to be argued.

If you have reason to believe he's going to become a high-end offensive producer, then by all means lay out your reasoning here. I honestly don't care how he "looks."

Wingers who are drafted 1OA are expected to produce at an elite level offensively. Slafkovsky is nowhere close to that yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galactico

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
No. Because point totals matter when a LW is drafted 1OA. I can't even believe this is something that needs to be argued.

If you have reason to believe he's going to become a high-end offensive producer, then by all means lay out your reasoning here. I honestly don't care how he "looks."

Wingers who are drafted 1OA are expected to produce at an elite level offensively. Slafkovsky is nowhere close to that yet.
He certainly isn't producing at an elite level offensively.....yet. Much like many other 1st overalls in their first 70ish ganes before him.

Depending on your definition of high end offensive producer, I wouldn't consider him to be that. Where I will predict for him, is a range in the 70 to 85 point range at his peak. That range of points could be adjusted for the better or worse, as he develops or stagnates. It's early to make a definitive prediction.

So what are we seeing now? Since last year he has improved in many aspects of the game. His vision is greatly improved. Apart from last night getting his bell rung, he is playing with better awareness and intelligence. In fact that growth has happened particularly over the past 10-15 games. In addition, we are seeing him use his body and size to control the puck. He is dominating along the boards. Using his reach to retrieve pucks, using his body in the defensive zone to break up plays. He is playing with confidence and some points are starting to come. His straight line skating is fast, and for a big man his edge work is surprisingly decent. These are the areas where there has been obvious improvement. Watching him, you would see that. He needs to work on his shot next, that is a concern. I can be honest about what I am seeing.

We are an offensively deficient team. Slaf is not going to be a Bedard or Hughes or Mackinnon. While Cooley or someone else may have better offensive instincts than Slaf, the jury is still out on who will have the biggest impact on a team. From what I am seeing, Slaf will be your stereotypical playoff beast that teams hate playing against. Will he be the offensive catalyst, I don't think so. But, Cooleys offensive production, won't make up the difference IMO in what Slaf brings to the Habs.

There you have it. My opinion. Shared numerous times before. And based on a ton more than just checking stat sheets.

He will not be the worst overall pick ever.

All the premature dunking on the Habs and Slaf, from people who can provide no knowledgeable commentary beyond stats is cringey.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
He certainly isn't producing at an elite level offensively.....yet. Much like many other 1st overalls in their first 70ish ganes before him.

Depending on your definition of high end offensive producer, I wouldn't consider him to be that. Where I will predict for him, is a range in the 70 to 85 point range at his peak. That range of points could be adjusted for the better or worse, as he develops or stagnates. It's early to make a definitive prediction.

So what are we seeing now? Since last year he has improved in many aspects of the game. His vision is greatly improved. Apart from last night getting his bell rung, he is playing with better awareness and intelligence. In fact that growth has happened particularly over the past 10-15 games. In addition, we are seeing him use his body and size to control the puck. He is dominating along the boards. Using his reach to retrieve pucks, using his body in the defensive zone to break up plays. He is playing with confidence and some points are starting to come. His straight line skating is fast, and for a big man his edge work is surprisingly decent. These are the areas where there has been obvious improvement. Watching him, you would see that. He needs to work on his shot next, that is a concern. I can be honest about what I am seeing.

We are an offensively deficient team. Slaf is not going to be a Bedard or Hughes or Mackinnon. While Cooley or someone else may have better offensive instincts than Slaf, the jury is still out on who will have the biggest impact on a team. From what I am seeing, Slaf will be your stereotypical playoff beast that teams hate playing against. Will he be the offensive catalyst, I don't think so. But, Cooleys offensive production, won't make up the difference IMO in what Slaf brings to the Habs.

There you have it. My opinion. Shared numerous times before. And based on a ton more than just checking stat sheets.

He will not be the worst overall pick ever.

All the premature dunking on the Habs and Slaf, from people who can provide no knowledgeable commentary beyond stats is cringey.

But until his offensive production improves significantly, he will remain in the conversation for worst 1OA pick in recent history.

Be honest, which 1OA in the past 20 drafts would you argue is clearly worse than Slafkovsky?

Last edited:
Reactions: Galactico

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Finally, a decent response to my posts.

But until his offensive production improves significantly, he will remain in the conversation for worst 1OA pick in recent history.

Be honest, which 1OA in the past 20 drafts would you argue is clearly worse than Slafkovsky?
It is too early to tell. That was kind of my point. There have been several underwhelming 1OAs since 2003, including Yak. I will permanently leave this site, if Slaf ends up worse than Yak.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
It is too early to tell. That was kind of my point. There have been several underwhelming 1OAs since 2003, including Yak. I will permanently leave this site, if Slaf ends up worse than Yak.
Good grief, it's not too early to tell. There's a very small pool of potentially worse picks than Slafkovsky.

If you don't think any of them are clearly worse than Slaf at this point then that's a clear admission on your part that everyone you've been railing against in this thread is right and you are wrong.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Good grief, it's not too early to tell. There's a very small pool of potentially worse picks than Slafkovsky.

If you don't think any of them are clearly worse than Slaf at this point than that's a clear admission on your part that everyone you've been railing against in this thread is right and you are wrong.
it is far to early. How can you objectively compare Slaf to Erik Johnson at this point? Based on Slaf 70ish games and Johnson full career? How about Yak? Or Taylor Hall? Or Laf? Or Owen Power? Or Bedard for that matter? How can you compare? Give me a break!

Reactions: viceroy

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
it is far to early. How can you objectively compare Slaf to Erik Johnson at this point? Based on Slaf 70ish games and Johnson full career? How about Yak? Or Taylor Hall? Or Laf? Or Owen Power? Or Bedard for that matter? How can you compare? Give me a break!
Every single player you have named has had a more successful career than Slafkovsky. Every single one. Like, what are you even trying to prove here?

Try again.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Which one is clearly worse than Slafkovsky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad