Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
At what point can we discuss players? Is 70 games enough? Maybe 80? Or can we only discuss players after hundreds of games? Maybe the website should change to HockeysPast. You know as well as I do. If he was lighting it up you would be praising him.

No one is blaming Slag for being picked 1OA, but he has been a disappointment. It's becoming increasingly difficult for Habs fans and brass to justify the pick. He has time to change that, but it's not looking likely.
Do I have to explain the difference between 50 games in the NHL and 500 games? We can either have a serious discussion or we can waste more time staring at a teenager's PPG.

Reactions: viceroy

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Do I have to explain the difference between 50 games in the NHL and 500 games? We can either have a serious discussion or we can waste more time staring at a teenager's PPG.

That's a dishonest statement and you know it. You are the one who wants to gatekeep when we are allowed to talk about players. It's a stupid stance after a 1OA has been in the league for nearly 2 seasons.

Again when can we talk about players development? Are we allowed to compare equal games played or does that only work when your guy comes out on top?

Teenager it grown adult, he was 1OA and an NHL player. For a 1OA he has been a major disappointment, as a late 1st rounder no one bats an eye.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Gees, its been like less than 2 seasons.

Would the opening poster traded away Jack Hughes after two seasons too?

Reactions: Devonator

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
At what point can we discuss players? Is 70 games enough? Maybe 80? Or can we only discuss players after hundreds of games? Maybe the website should change to HockeysPast. You know as well as I do. If he was lighting it up you would be praising him.

No one is blaming Slag for being picked 1OA, but he has been a disappointment. It's becoming increasingly difficult for Habs fans and brass to justify the pick. He has time to change that, but it's not looking likely.
Discuss it sure. Taken seriously? No.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
That's a dishonest statement and you know it. You are the one who wants to gatekeep when we are allowed to talk about players. It's a stupid stance after a 1OA has been in the league for nearly 2 seasons.

Again when can we talk about players development? Are we allowed to compare equal games played or does that only work when your guy comes out on top?

Teenager it grown adult, he was 1OA and an NHL player. For a 1OA he has been a major disappointment, as a late 1st rounder no one bats an eye.
Talk about him all you want. But adding up point totals in his first 73 NHL games is not the basis for a serious evaluation.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Talk about him all you want. But adding up point totals in his first 73 NHL games is not the basis for a serious evaluation.

So for the 3rd time, when can we start comparing players? Please be very specific.

I think 10% of a players career would be a good place to start, but maybe development conversations should be had when we hit 50%...

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
I'm not a Habs fan but as an outside observer, why does there seem to be so much panic as to Slaf being a bust? The kid's only 19.

I don't watch every shift of his that's why I ask.

Reactions: viceroy and HabsQC

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I decide what I take seriously not you. See how it works? Stop trying to push what you want onto others.

I don't care what you take seriously, however the hockey world is and will continue to discuss players development while they develop. Feel free to keep you Charmin soft head buried deep in the sand.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

If Slafkoski was a late first he would be in the AHL. It’s dumb having this guy on the big club.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Its just a bad draft. Not going to rip on Cooley/Nemec etc but if they were 1OA they'd be considered disappointing as well.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't care what you take seriously, however the hockey world is and will continue to discuss players development while they develop. Feel free to keep you Charmin soft head buried deep in the sand.
Who is the hockey world? You. LOL

You decide if the hockey world thinks its time to discuss if a player is a bust after 80 games?

You been ratio'd here.

Trying to label Slafkovsky a bust after 80 games isn't discussing player development.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
You want to comment on his development or do you want to comment on his point totals? If you have limited viewings of him playing, you really should only be commenting on his point totals. Because, if you haven't watched him play, you know jack shit about his development.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Who is the hockey world? You. LOL

You decide if the hockey world thinks its time to discuss if a player is a bust after 80 games?

You been ratio'd here.

Trying to label Slafkovsky a bust after 80 games isn't discussing player development.

Yes I'm the only person who has posted in the 44 pages.

I think 10% of a players career is a valid point to begin discussion about their development, yes.

I'm not labelling anything, I'm saying he has been very disappointing for a 1OA. I'm also saying he has faired poorly in comparison to other 1OA, such as Yak which is what started this specific discussion.
You want to comment on his development or do you want to comment on his point totals? If you have limited viewings of him playing, you really should only be commenting on his point totals. Because, if you haven't watched him play, you know jack shit about his development.
Point totals help when discussing NHL player development. Someone compared him to Yak, stating Yak was better, a Habs fan mentioned that wasn't close to true. All I did was provide stats to show it is infavt true. Please show us how his development has been a success.

Its just a bad draft. Not going to rip on Cooley/Nemec etc but if they were 1OA they'd be considered disappointing as well.

Sure, that's not Slafs fault. He is what he is, so far a sub par 1OA.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Point totals help when discussing NHL player development. Someone compared him to Yak, stating Yak was better, a Habs fan mentioned that wasn't close to true. All I did was provide stats to show it is infavt true. Please show us how his development has been a success.
The thread title, and now you are making the claims in here.....please tell me how he is developing? How do you think he has played over the past 10-15 games? How do you think he has played along side Suzuki and Caufield. How do you think he has looked this year compared to last year? How do you think his passing looks compared to last year? His use of his body and reach? His shot? His board work? His defensive play and positioning? Let's hear it! "Developing" implies a knowledge of his game, over time. What "knowledge" do you have of his game?

If all you have to add to this is, "well his point totals suck, so he must not be developing" well then, dare I say it.....that is a very ignorant view of a players DEVELOPMENT.

Anyways, please.....enlighten us on your opinions of some of things above. Or other aspects of his game that you have noticed from last year to this one?

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Gord Kluzak, a big defenseman, missed the second half of his junior season in 1981-82 with a major knee injury. He wasn't exactly lighting the WHL on fire in either of his junior seasons with the Billings Bighorns in a fairly high scoring league (Billings scored 369 goals)
80-81: 68 GP, 4 G, 30 A, 34 PTS - Playoffs: 5 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 PTS
81-82: 38 GP, 9 G, 24 A, 33 PTS - Playoffs: DNP

Bruins fans weren't exactly thrilled with the selection either, as high scoring forward Brian Bellows from the Kitchener Rangers was expected to be selected first. Bellows stats:
80-81: 66 GP, 49 G, 67 A, 116 PTS - Playoffs: 16 GP, 14 G, 13 A, 27 PTS - Mem Cup: 5 GP, 6 G, 0 A, 6 PTS
81-82: 47 GP, 45 G, 52 A, 97 PTS - Playoffs: 15 GP, 16 G, 13 A, 29 PTS - Mem Cup: 5 GP, 6 G, 6 A, 12 PTS

Of course, Kluzak's injury continued to haunt him for the rest of his career and he was basically done as a regular by age 24, whereas Bellows had a long, productive NHL career.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
The thread title, and now you are making the claims in here.....please tell me how he is developing? How do you think he has played over the past 10-15 games? How do you think he has played along side Suzuki and Caufield. How do you think he has looked this year compared to last year? How do you think his passing looks compared to last year? His use of his body and reach? His shot? His board work? His defensive play and positioning? Let's hear it! "Developing" implies a knowledge of his game, over time. What "knowledge" do you have of his game?

If all you have to add to this is, "well his point totals suck, so he must not be developing" well then, dare I say it.....that is a very ignorant view of a players DEVELOPMENT.

Anyways, please.....enlighten us on your opinions of some of things above. Or other aspects of his game that you have noticed from last year to this one?

I didn't title the thread, but the person who did posed a question. I haven't given an opinion on that question.

So far he is developing behind the curve for a 1OA.

He looks better this year. But still behind what is expected from 1OA.

You can like your player all you want. But the facts are he has been a subpar 1OA. It's not his fault where he was drafted, but when talking about 1OA he is what he is.

If you think he is doing great, I'm happy for you and your player; I hope he has a long career in Montreal's top line.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Gees, its been like less than 2 seasons.

Would the opening poster traded away Jack Hughes after two seasons too?
You can't compare him to Hughes. From day 1 Jack Hughes already displayed elite skills in the NHL. He was just completely undersized & that was obvious to anyone who watched him. His 2nd season saw a decent jump in play & anyone who watched him knew he was going to be an all star becauss he was elite in so many categories. Why do you think Fitz was so eager to lock him up long term (which is now the best contract in the league). The only thing I complained about was his shot (had a muffin shot). By 3rd season he broke out completely & got rid of his muffin shot. Slafkovsky is the exact opposite case. He was drafted as a big boy. From day one he was already one of the biggest players on the ice. He also doesn't have any stand out elite skills like Hughes did. For being a big guy Slafkovsky seems to get rocked a lot which is the last thing you want from a dude his size. If I was a Montreal fan I would be extremely worried from that aspect alone. Slafkovsky was drafted to be a power winger who will bully people on the ice. It just so happens he's the one who's getting bullied. If he wasn't a big boy there's 0 chance he would of got drafted in the top 5. That was his saving grace. Now it appears to be his downfall.

Reactions: Lahey and ReHabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad