Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
All of these, especially Wright,, would not have been great #1 pick either

Cooley has 4 fewer points in 40 fewer games playing a premium position.

Nemec is playing 20+ a night in all situations as a 19 year old.

Slafkovsky is a left shot left wing - that’s the least valuable position on the ice. His best attribute is his size, and he’s getting obliterated by Martin Necas.

That’s not good.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Habs fans have every right to be encouraged by Slafkovsky's recent uptick in form. We've seen him go from abyssal-bad to impactful NHL presence over a span of a few months this season. He had consecutive two-point games. He has been highly visible on the ice in a good way.

Neutral fans have every right to laugh at the bozo-low standards and expectations of Habs fans who claim they're satisfied with the 1OA so far. It is fair to expect a 1OA to be elite from the get-go and Slaf is not that and he's not done anything to change that perception so far.

SilhouetteSpecial

Nov 11, 2023
nope

A game like Slafs takes more time to develop. Knowing what we know now id still take him.....especially since they got Dach at that draft, they didnt need a small center....
Slaf keeps getting hit like he did last night, he's going to need a LOT of time to develop. What a hit though. Made me smile biggly.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
This game in Carolina was more evidence that our organization has messed up with Slafkovsky's development. His hockey sense is struggling to adjust to this level of play. Gets constantly smacked by average size NHLers on standard plays. He's been concussed several times already at just 19.

People can argue whether he was the right pick or not. I feel he was one of four reasonable choices. But what's more obvious is that, ever since he's been picked, the Habs have completey messed up by fast-tracking him in a league he didn't belong in and where he has been so busy trying to keep his head above water that he is picking bad habits faster than his skillset is rounding out. Yes, he'll make great plays once in a while, but he keeps on making really shitty plays and turnovers, feeling pressure even when no one is around him.

The tools are there but Slafkovsky is an incomplete player that's been rushed. I don't know if they can sort out this mess but it will require more time than if the organization had been patient to start with.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
This game in Carolina was more evidence that our organization has messed up with Slafkovsky's development. His hockey sense is struggling to adjust to this level of play. Gets constantly smacked by average size NHLers on standard plays. He's been concussed several times already at just 19.

People can argue whether he was the right pick or not. I feel he was one of four reasonable choices. But what's more obvious is that, ever since he's been picked, the Habs have completey messed up by fast-tracking him in a league he didn't belong in and where he has been so busy trying to keep his head above water that he is picking bad habits faster than his skillset is rounding out. Yes, he'll make great plays once in a while, but he keeps on making really shitty plays and turnovers, feeling pressure even when no one is around him.

The tools are there but Slafkovsky is an incomplete player that's been rushed. I don't know if they can sort out this mess but it will require more time than if the organization had been patient to start with.
I dunno if we can say he’s been concussed but he’s definitely gotten his bell rung on unnecessarily big impacts too many times.

Every other word is 100% correct. This is what happens when you rush prospects. They’ll never learn.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Ok.... but who would have been better exactly?

That’s also not the original point/argument of the thread- it’s asking if he’s the worst #1 pick ever. It was a weak draft class, for sure, but that’s not what we’re talking about.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It would hurt, but they could still send him back to Europe. Last chance probably.

Prepare him physically, let him dominate in Europe and build confidence again. He could workout.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
I always find these threads ironic considering the message board is called Hockeys Future yet people jump to conclusions on players when they haven’t even played a full season in their career. Then it gets bombarded by people who clearly only look at HockeyDB. This place is basically turning into Facebook level of collective IQ.
I won’t write Slaf off just like you but your ego really mutes your points. Not much between the ears as you tell me. Busts happen and it’s perfectly okay for people to talk about that. I don’t agree but I won’t insult people like you do kiddo. I’ve been paying attention to these boards since the beginning and all you do is shoot people down. I hope you find some sort of humility and respect for yourself and others. There’s no refuting that and I won’t satisfy your hate by anymore responses so tee off on me. I won’t read it

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes it is - Yakupov had 31 points in 48 games as a rookie, and was -4.

Slaf had 10 in 39, and was -13.

He still hasn’t cleared 31 career points yet and he’s played nearly twice the games.

He wishes he was as productive as Yakupov.
Nobody cares that Yakupov started strong, since he went downhill quickly. Nobody cares that Slafkovsky started poorly, since he's been outscoring and outplaying everyone else in his draft year the past two months.

Counting total points from their first games is completely meaningless.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Exits out of his own zone and puck retrieval. Fancy stats show he has helped Caufield and Suzuki possession numbers...
GAME BREAKING for a 1st overall pick. what a joke hahaha

"The irony is that you're chastising other posters for relying on too small a sample size to judge his career potential, but then insist we only consider his last 20 games or so."

thought that stood out ^

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Nobody cares that Yakupov started strong, since he went downhill quickly. Nobody cares that Slafkovsky started poorly, since he's been outscoring and outplaying everyone else in his draft year the past two months.

Counting total points from their first games is completely meaningless.

Ok, can we compare their first 2 years?

Reactions: Lahey

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
He’s so bad…hard to watch him stumble around the ice. Feel bad for Habs fans going from Timmins picks to Gorton picks

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
He’s so bad…hard to watch him stumble around the ice. Feel bad for Habs fans going from Timmins picks to Gorton picks
they fired Timmins when he was just beginning to be good took 10 years but last 2-3 years he draft realy well

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Andrea Bargnani vibes tbh. Even if he develops okay I don't think he's ever the type of guy people will get excited about.

Is there anyone outside of the Slovak community who would have Slafkovsky as their favourite player? It feels like a generational lack of excitement over a 1st overall pick.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ok, can we compare their first 2 years?
Why? Who cares about the first 30-40 games of a kid's NHL career? Slafkovsky has started making an impact on the ice and is starting to put up points, and he still hasn't played a full season.

This fixation on PPG for a teenager is laughable.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Why? Who cares about the first 30-40 games of a kid's NHL career? Slafkovsky has started making an impact on the ice and is starting to put up points, and he still hasn't played a full season.

This fixation on PPG for a teenager is laughable.

At what point can we discuss players? Is 70 games enough? Maybe 80? Or can we only discuss players after hundreds of games? Maybe the website should change to HockeysPast. You know as well as I do. If he was lighting it up you would be praising him.

No one is blaming Slag for being picked 1OA, but he has been a disappointment. It's becoming increasingly difficult for Habs fans and brass to justify the pick. He has time to change that, but it's not looking likely.

Reactions: Lahey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad