Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Never said anything about him being outmuscled or needing to grow physically in anything I posted. He's good in that department. He could have developed more offensively overseas and then came over to the NHL when he was not seeing any more growth. He could have very easily went back to to Liiga and developed further. It was low risk.
Sure, and I'm certain Habs' management is aware of the conventional approach to developing prospects. They decided to develop him in the NHL. So far, his progression looks really good, and so it's tough to second guess that decision at this point.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs fans coping hard in this thread. The fact of the matter is that Slafkovsky has 12 points in 33 games (or 22 pts in 72 games).

That is just brutal for a 1st overall pick.

What you and some others are too dumb to understand is that habs fans aren't praising how he's looked for the whole 72 games, they are praising how good he looked in the last 15-20 games.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Big winger who needs to utilize his size better. Could stand a couple of years to grow into his frame. Will not be the centerpiece of a top line when fully developed.

Pretty sure that was the book on him in his draft year. This isn't a video game kids.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I'm not saying Slaf is going to a bust nor be a bad player. What I do hate is people comparing these type of players to Hughes. It has less to do with size etc & more about elite skill. Players like Slaf, Lafreniere don't have any game breaking abilities. Slaf will be good but when it's all said & done there's going to be quite a few players better than him from his own draft year. I just don't understand why GMs draft players at 1OA with no elite qualities. Will these players be good? Yeah but at 1OA you don't want good. You want elite.

Slaf's pure talent might not be elite, but having that talent and tools while being so huge is an elite quality. There aren't a ton of hockey players that are that big and have that kind of talent.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
-15 (or an equally terrible 44.90% GF or 43.88% XGF at 5v5) all the while having by far the highest OZone starts percentage on his own team. Stop glazing and tell me exactly why do you think I am wrong? Because he scored a Michigan yesterday? Get a grip buddy.

If you think Bedard is a net negative for the Hawks, you're the one who need to get a grip buddy.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Joe Thornton first 72 career games - 12 pts
Vincent Lecavalier first 72 games - 24 pts
Nail Yakupov fist 72 game - 40 pts

food for thought. Its not how you start....

I get what you're trying to say, but Nail Yakupov is widely regarded as the worst #1OA pick in recent memory.

What makes you think JS is more like Thornton/Lecavalier than Yakupov? After all, Yakupov and Slafkovsky are both wingers, not centres.

Keep in mind, 31 of Yakupov's 40 points came in his first 48 games. Which means he only had 9 in his next 24 games.

*Edit: Bottom line is that Slafkovsky has an uphill battle just to prove he isn't the worst #1OA pick in the past couple of decades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lahey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I get what you're trying to say, but Nail Yakupov is widely regarded as the worst #1OA pick in recent memory.

What makes you think JS is more like Thornton/Lecavalier than Yakupov? After all, Yakupov and Slafkovsky are both wingers, not centres.

Keep in mind, 31 of Yakupov's 40 points came in his first 48 games. Which means he only had 9 in his next 24 games.

*Edit: Bottom line is that Slafkovsky has an uphill battle just to prove he isn't the worst #1OA pick in the past couple of decades.
It should be painfully obvious it's more important to develop strong than to start strong. Nobody cares that Yakupov had a great start, just like nobody cares that so many star players had terrible starts.

Slafkovsky had a bad start. His first 50 games were very weak and some people believed they had his career figured out based on his PPG. Those posts have started to smell bad and will only get worse. Since early November, Slafkovsky's been out-producing and out-playing everyone else in his draft year. It's called development, which is exactly what you hope for when you draft a kid. How far he develops is impossible to predict. However, what's easy to predict is the people proclaiming him to be "The worst #1OA pick" will be hoping their posts aren't bumped in a couple of years.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Bottom line.....how many times *truthfully* have you watched Slafkovsky play a full game?

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
I didn't call him short , I said he is not tall and lanky like Kotkaniemi who wasn't filled out. He is tall and mostly filled out which is very impressive for his age.
This is the only time I read that he is described as being lanky.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Habs fans coping hard in this thread. The fact of the matter is that Slafkovsky has 12 points in 33 games (or 22 pts in 72 games).

That is just brutal for a 1st overall pick.
So does that guarantee that he will not do any better in the next 72 games? Are you saying at 19 that he has maxed out?

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020

Curious here for him to be removed from the title as the worst 1stov pick.What kind of production ( points) does he have to produce over the remainder of the season?

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
We don’t know what he’ll become. What we know is that he sucks now and is on pace for 29 points in his 2nd NHL season after a 10 points season in his rookie year (on pace for 20 pts).
He doesn't suck now. I know you feel the need to double down on your hot take, but he's been playing on the 1st line for the last 10 games or so and has taken a bigger step in his development. He's 19.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If your definition of good is 12 points in 33 games, that’s your thing.
5 points in his last 5 games as he finally plays meaningful minutes with better forwards.
His C went down in the 2nd game of the year. Newhook is done. Habs were already very thin at forward.
He has two more points in 6 less games vs last year.
he will still be 19 when his 2nd season is done.
context matters

Reactions: viceroy

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Good god this thread is cringe

5 stages.

1. Denial - We aren't taking Slaf 1st OA it isn't happening
2. Anger - Why tf did we take this guy 1st OA *insert gif of woman*
3. Bargaining (we are here) - He looks ok the past few games, maybe he can be an NHLer at least
4. Depression - Why didn't we take the #1 center our rebuild be in a way better spot right now
5. Acceptance - Welp, he's a bust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad