Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
For the large prospects, they are typically going from being the biggest/strongest kid in their junior league to being a teenager playing against grown men, and the difference in physical strength is pretty significant. What worked against the kids in junior for the big guys isn't necessarily going to work against even the smaller NHLers, because there's just not enough power behind it until they are generally in their early 20s.

Because of this, I'm not sure how playing in European leagues against lesser competition would really benefit him that much beyond just allowing him to physically mature outside of the NHL spotlight.
He already was playing in a professional league his pre-draft year, so I'm not sure what your point is.

And no, it was not working there, either. His draft year in Liiga was weak by any standard.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He was #2, but due to unfortunate injuries and ailments, Nolan Patrick gave his team even less than Slaf.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not chirping just stating facts, his point totals are horrendous by any standard. Considering he was a first overall pick, they look even worse and his team is still in the basement, now in year 2. Try sticking to the subject, if you want to talk about the Leafs playoffs feel free to bump any of the 1000 threads already made on it.
Haters gonna hate.................check the standings............habs are not in the basement. FACT.
Even with a horrible team, we all know he won in the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. FACT.

I realize you don't watch the games, just spew the stats, but you should watch hockey man.
When the draft took place, it was said, as a FACT that the #1 that year was taken as a project.
The draft did not have a Crosby, Mackinnon type of player.

Now if you watched the games you would see the difference just in the last 10 games. Slafkosky will be a good player.....

You don't watch the habs, and I don't watch the leafs.............the difference is you troll and I don't bother with your team....until it matters, and we both know what happens when it matters, your regular season warriors melt. Horrendous....

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
Habs fans coping hard in this thread. The fact of the matter is that Slafkovsky has 12 points in 33 games (or 22 pts in 72 games).

That is just brutal for a 1st overall pick.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Habs fans coping hard in this thread. The fact of the matter is that Slafkovsky has 12 points in 33 games (or 22 pts in 72 games).

From total bust at 18 to actually being excited about the kid being one of our best forwards yeah sue us for being excited that the kid is finally showing why he was picked first overall shame on us.

I just want the same energy for Cooley and Wright when they don't become 100 point players worthy of first overall , since those are the expectations set for Slaf

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
If you want to find the fans that claimed Jack Hughes was already a bust after his first 20+ games in the NHL as an 18 YO, this thread is ‘can’t miss’ reading.

LOL, he’s not looking like a star player after 1 and 1/2 seasons in the NHL and he’s already 19 years old!

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
If you want to find the fans that claimed Jack Hughes was already a bust after his first 20+ games in the NHL as an 18 YO, this thread is ‘can’t miss’ reading.

LOL, he’s not looking like a star player after 1 and 1/2 seasons in the NHL and he’s already 19 years old!
Jack Hughes came into the league as an extremely small player whose body wasn't NHL ready. Even when he was drafted it was always said it would take him a few years. Now saying that when you watched Hughes in his rookie year he displayed a lot of elite skills that most players don't possess. Slaf doesn't have that.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He already was playing in a professional league his pre-draft year, so I'm not sure what your point is.

And no, it was not working there, either. His draft year in Liiga was weak by any standard.

My point is that he needs to physically mature to be able to compete against men on a semi-level playing field. The fact that he struggled against men in his draft year, and continued to struggle in his rookie season, seems to support my claim pretty well.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Jack Hughes came into the league as an extremely small player whose body wasn't NHL ready. Even when he was drafted it was always said it would take him a few years. Now saying that when you watched Hughes in his rookie year he displayed a lot of elite skills that most players don't possess. Slaf doesn't have that.
Okay. I get it. The big guy was supposed to be better, faster.

Got it.

Do Byfield now.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Okay. I get it. The big guy was supposed to be better, faster.

Got it.

Do Byfield now.
I'm not saying Slaf is going to a bust nor be a bad player. What I do hate is people comparing these type of players to Hughes. It has less to do with size etc & more about elite skill. Players like Slaf, Lafreniere don't have any game breaking abilities. Slaf will be good but when it's all said & done there's going to be quite a few players better than him from his own draft year. I just don't understand why GMs draft players at 1OA with no elite qualities. Will these players be good? Yeah but at 1OA you don't want good. You want elite.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

Joe Thornton had 7 points in his first season (55 games) Lecavalier had 28 points in 82 games. Is Slaf going to be in the same league as either? Absolutely not. But it’s also not reasonable to write someone off after parts of two seasons

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
So many people who have not watched him play are commenting and it's so obvious who.

I think it also just breaks some hearts that he's proving you can develop as a teenager in the NHL.

Who could have predicted this?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Luckily for Montreal, careers dont tend to be over at age 19!

Though Slafkovsky seems to be making quite a bit more than all of us at 19, huh? Lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The 2022 draft class since November 4:
Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 9.45.05 AM.png

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
How exactly is that a benefit over playing in the NHL against men?

Are the leagues similar in competition? A big, young player like him could benefit from playing in a Euro pro league, where they are probably in the upper echelon of player, but they can fine tune things they need to work on versus coming to the NHL against the best competition in the world, on a smaller rink, in a role he has probably never played in his entire career, while simultaneously trying to get better on a mediocre team. Yeah, no difference at all.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Are the leagues similar in competition? A big, young player like him could benefit from playing in a Euro pro league, where they are probably in the upper echelon of player, but they can fine tune things they need to work on versus coming to the NHL against the best competition in the world, on a smaller rink, in a role he has probably never played in his entire career, while simultaneously trying to get better on a mediocre team. Yeah, no difference at all.

But how does playing a less physical brand of hockey in Europe on a larger ice surface against lesser competition help him physically mature faster so he isn't being outmuscled in the NHL?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Hahah. Real true sane things would be saying slaf is brutal and prob a 3rd liner at best. 12 points in 33 games absolutely lighting it up in his second season. What a joke

He's like 11 in his last 23

Not World beating material here, but not bad either for a 19 years old from a bad drafting class

Do you know what is a joke tho?
OP with his crazy take about how this is the worst 1OA ever, in a World where Patrick Stefan and Nail Yakupov exist and also you, if you agree with that take

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
But how does playing a less physical brand of hockey in Europe on a larger ice surface against lesser competition help him physically mature faster so he isn't being outmuscled in the NHL?

Never said anything about him being outmuscled or needing to grow physically in anything I posted. He's good in that department. He could have developed more offensively overseas and then came over to the NHL when he was not seeing any more growth. He could have very easily went back to to Liiga and developed further. It was low risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad