Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Like who?

I think as far as young players go Suzuki / Caufield / Dach at 23 / 22 / 22 respectively are great examples of players with potential of 70-80 points depending on team chemistry and staying healthy. The Newhook experiment is still ongoing but that too seemed promising before his injury.

As for pipeline or extremely young , Slafkovsky , Roy and Hutson (he plays like a 4th forward) should help round out the team in terms of offense. As I said I don't think the Habs have the bones of an eventual powerhouse but I don't think it's out of this world to expect players like Suzuki/Caufield/Slafkovsky/Hutson who have all shown game breaking ability in Junior (in the clutchest moments of their respective careers) to grow together into a solid team. I simply see no reason with the current staff and management why this group can't be well surrounded and be succesful.

Goaltending is still very much a question mark , we have a few decent options but nothing earth shattering yet. I'm of the opinion goaltending is one of the easier positions to address and I say that after having watched a superstar goalie play for nearly 15 seasons.

While our offensive pool obviously is missing a bonafide superstar , I would argue not every team gets that privilege and that's not necessarily a requirement to great hockey and success. As for our defensive group , I don't see why Guhle / Hutson / Reinbacher / Barron , can't be a very strong core moving forward. (Not counting Struble / Harris / Xhekaj / Mailloux who are also in the mix for a role).

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You are claiming he is a net negative to his team. That means by definition he is hurting the Hawks, no?
No I'm not. I'm asserting that you don't understand the definition of a word.

You can be the best at everything, but still be a net negative. Am I suggesting that's the case with Bedard? Nope.

There isn't any hidden message here.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Obviously lots of time for slaf

But daigle led his NHL team in pts 2-3 times over his disapointing career

Still very much a bust, especially relative to hype, but if Slaf ended his career now, he'd be much worst

But then again, Hughes would have been a worst bust had he retired at 19 lol

A little early to say
Daigle had an awesome start to his career and then it all went downhill.

Relative to expectations he was a major bust, if he was the 20th pick he would have had a pretty solid career. Most people forget he led the wild in scoring in 04 because he was largely irrelevant to the national media by then.

Then there's the whole "nobody remembers #2" quote which just made him look that much worse because it turned out #2 was one of the best D of their generation.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
No I'm not. I'm asserting that you don't understand the definition of a word.

You can be the best at everything, but still be a net negative. Am I suggesting that's the case with Bedard? Nope.

There isn't any hidden message here.
I’m fully aware of what net negative mean. You jumped in to a response of mine to a poster who was claiming that Bedard was a net negative to his team, which I highly disagree with, as do you apparently. So I’m just a little confused as to what you're trying to say is all

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I’m fully aware of what net negative mean. You jumped in to a response of mine to a poster who was claiming that Bedard was a net negative to his team, which I highly disagree with, as do you apparently. So I’m just a little confused as to what you're trying to say is all
I don't get why you are confused. I've been pretty clear. You asked how a player who leads his team in some categories could be a net negative. I responded with how it's possible. Just the definition itself should make that clear.

Reactions: viceroy

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
How can one lead their team in goals, assists and points and be a net negative to the team? The stupidness is astounding on HfBoards sometimes.
While I don't agree with Bedard fitting that category, lots of examples of team point leaders being net negatives.

Galchenyuk led the Habs in goals in the '15 season, he was absolutely carried by his linemates and was the weak link. He hurt the team both on the ice and in their development.

Domi led the Habs in points a few years later. He was a defensive liability and had to get glued to better talent, he hurt the team in quite a few ways.

The Jets showed that bad locker rooms can mean it's more beneficial to get rid of good players than have toxicity.

Tons of examples

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
While I don't agree with Bedard fitting that category, lots of examples of team point leaders being net negatives.

Galchenyuk led the Habs in goals in the '15 season, he was absolutely carried by his linemates and was the weak link. He hurt the team both on the ice and in their development.

Domi led the Habs in points a few years later. He was a defensive liability and had to get glued to better talent, he hurt the team in quite a few ways.

The Jets showed that bad locker rooms can mean it's more beneficial to get rid of good players than have toxicity.

Tons of examples
I hope the person you quoted doesn't call you stupid. You nailed it.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Buddy you have posted several times without assessing the validity of my point, instead going to personal attacks. Arguing in bad faith is often sign your argument isn't that strong.

The point you're trying to make is honestly pretty atrocious. You could only dream of Slaf having half the talent of Cooley and Fantilli, let alone Bedard (and you'd be in severe denial saying otherwise).

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Buddy you have posted several times without assessing the validity of my point, instead going to personal attacks. Arguing in bad faith is often sign your argument isn't that strong.

You said Bedard was a net negative to Chicago. That'd be like saying Crosby and Ovechkin were net negatives in their rookie seasons because Pittsburgh and Washington finished dead last in their divisions. If you took those players off those teams, they don't get better. Hence, they wouldn't be net negatives.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
You said Bedard was a net negative to Chicago. That'd be like saying Crosby and Ovechkin were net negatives in their rookie seasons because Pittsburgh and Washington finished dead last in their divisions. If you took those players off those teams, they don't get better. Hence, they wouldn't be net negatives.
When you look at Crosby's and Ovy's on ice impacts in their rookie years it is pretty clear that by that point they were in another stratosphere than Bedard is this year. Again, my messages' goal is not to say Bedard won't be a top 3 player in the league in his prime, just that he is clearly not physically ready to run an NHL first line at an acceptable standard in his rookie year, a feat not many players ever accomplished.

Reactions: viceroy

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
The point you're trying to make is honestly pretty atrocious. You could only dream of Slaf having half the talent of Cooley and Fantilli, let alone Bedard (and you'd be in severe denial saying otherwise).
I don't think Cooley deserves to be in the discussion with Fantilli, and neither deserve to be mentioned with Bedard.

I don't know a single habs fan who would argue , Bedard is clearly multiple levels above Slaf or Cooley, and at least 1-2 above Fantilli as well

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
When you look at Crosby's and Ovy's on ice impacts in their rookie years it is pretty clear that by that point they were in another stratosphere than Bedard is this year.
I think it's worth noting that Ovechkin didn't jump straight to the NHL after he was drafted because of the lockout. He was also one of the oldest players in his draft where as Bedard was one of the youngest. So Ovi was nearly 2 years older as a rookie than Bedard is as a rookie.

Crosby and Bedard's point totals up to Christmas in their rookie seasons are very close. By my count Crosby had 34 points in 34 games while Bedard is at 30 points in 33 games. Crosby really started to heat up after Christmas in his rookie season.

Reactions: Bone Density

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It is really easy to see what posters have never watched Slaf play. They aren't even trying to be smart. Just pure troll jobs. Joke of a thread.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I havent seen Slafkovsky lately but Montreal made the same stupid mistake many teams drafting at the top make and rushed him to the NHL. They act like its a bust or disappointment to not have these guys in the NHL on day 1 but really what usually happens is these rough growing pains. Hes got a lot of development in front of him and it would have been better elsewhere. He'll probably figure it out eventually but hes paid the price so far early in his career, I havent heard of him getting steamrolled yet this year so thats a positive to his awareness

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
He's 19. They needed to let him develop outside of the NHL.

Why are you talking as though his career is forever ruined? He's literally in his second season and was on one of the worst teams in the NHL at 18. He's showing great things on the top line so I don't think one can say that he would better served cooking elsewhere just yet... I see the signs of a very strong top6 player when I see him play this year , I can just imagine how good he will be in his early to mid 20s.

Reactions: golgoXIII

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
A leafs one too :laugh::laugh::laugh:
How low are the standards in Montreal that calling a guy who only has 12 points on the year "not good" is considered "troll" :laugh:

Legitimate 4th line production out of a 1st overall pick in his 2nd year but keep coping lol. He may improve, actually I'd bet he improves no way he can get worse, but at this moment he really isn't good and I'm not sure how that's even remotely debatable.

Like for example, on my own team Bertuzzi only has 13 points, that's f***ing awful and he really hasn't been an impact player at all this season. I would not even try and argue against it, lol.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
How low are the standards in Montreal that calling a guy who only has 12 points on the year "not good" is considered "troll" :laugh:

Legitimate 4th line production out of a 1st overall pick in his 2nd year but keep coping lol. He may improve, actually I'd bet he improves no way he can get worse, but at this moment he really isn't good and I'm not sure how that's even remotely debatable.

Like for example, on my own team Bertuzzi only has 13 points, that's f***ing awful and he really hasn't been an impact player at all this season. I would not even try and argue against it, lol.
All you talk about is production, the kid went from being lost on the ice at 18 to being our best forward almost every night in the past 2 weeks.He should be compared to Cooley and Wright. Everybody is talking about disappointing for a first overall pick as if the other guys are out there killing the league lol

Look at you guys , you've had like 4 ppg players on the roster and won one round in like 8 years so even you understand there's more to winning hockey games than point production.

Would we prefer a mcdavid crosby bedard hughes yeah obviously lmao

He's legitimately buzzing out there so yeah people are going to defend him while he is playing great at least until he reverts to his useless 18 year old self which usually isn't how development goes

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Why are you talking as though his career is forever ruined? He's literally in his second season and was on one of the worst teams in the NHL at 18. He's showing great things on the top line so I don't think one can say that he would better served cooking elsewhere just yet... I see the signs of a very strong top6 player when I see him play this year , I can just imagine how good he will be in his early to mid 20s.

I don't believe I'm speaking to that tone at all - you just sound sensitive.

He could have stayed in Finland and developed further. Large guys take way longer to develop. Very few are ready for the NHL at 18, especially ones who weren't even seen as the best prospect in their draft by many. I think he will be a fine NHLer, but there is always the possibility that him just trying to keep his head above water in the NHL stunts his offensive growth.

I'm a Penguins fan - they did that with Staal. Difference is, Staal was an absolute stud defensively right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad