Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
People talking **** on Slafkovsky and acting like Bedard, Fantilli and Cooley haven't been net negatives to their teams is seriously amazing.

jaguar-fan.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
-15 (or an equally terrible 44.90% GF or 43.88% XGF at 5v5) all the while having by far the highest OZone starts percentage on his own team. Stop glazing and tell me exactly why do you think I am wrong? Because he scored a Michigan yesterday? Get a grip buddy.

Hes -15 on the 2nd worst team in the league... shocker!

Hes nearly PPG as an 18 year old rookie. He is the furthest thing from a net negative.

I think you're wrong because as a Hawks fan I've seen most of his games and he has been as advertised. I certainly wouldn't call him A net negative at all. Hes done great given how awful the team around him is.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Hes -15 on the 2nd worst team in the league... shocker!

Hes nearly PPG as an 18 year old rookie. He is the furthest thing from a net negative.

I think you're wrong because as a Hawks fan I've seen most of his games and he has been as advertised. I certainly wouldn't call him A net negative at all. Hes done great given how awful the team around him is.
A truly great player wouldn't use a bad team as an excuse to perform to acceptable standards. Crosby was -2 in his rookie year playing with garbage finished players and career AHLers. And the GF% part is a fact. When he is on the ice, he gets outscored by the opposition. Therefore being a net negative at the usage he is getting by the Blackhawks.

Reactions: viceroy

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Difference is other players have shown flashes of brilliance. This guys highlight moments are retrieving loose pucks.

On top of that, he wasn't even the consensus #1 pick, unlike other top prospects who drafted at the appropriate position. Ask Habs fans if they'd rather have Slaf or one of Nemec/Cooley. Dude only has 12 points and pacing for 29 over a full season, that's straight up atrocious for a #1 pick, especially in this crazy high scoring era. It would be like pacing for 15-20 points in the Yakupov era.
Cooley has 1 less goals and only 5 more points than Slaf right now but somehow he’s a star and we’re supposed to want him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A truly great player wouldn't use a bad team as an excuse to perform to acceptable standards. Crosby was -2 in his rookie year playing with garbage finished players and career AHLers. And the GF% part is a fact. When he is on the ice, he gets outscored by the opposition. Therefore being a net negative at the usage he is getting by the Blackhawks.

Lemieux was -33 in his rookie year. Guess he wasn't a truly great player eh?

Also who's to say Bedard's +/- won't go down by the time the season finishes... there's still another 49 games to play..

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Cooley has 1 less goals and only 5 more points than Slaf right now but somehow he’s a star and we’re supposed to want him.
I pick the powerforward over the tiny Cooley. We already have the kind of Cooley in Suzuki/Caufield. Players like Slaf are way more tough to get

Reactions: salwan

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Slafkovsky had 10pts in 39gp, on pace for the worst top drafted forward scoring pace in the past 23+ years with 21 pts, and was -13 in his rookie season.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Bedard is a -5 at 5on5.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Anyone whose watched him this season consistently, not just game her or there has seen a dramatic upward trend over the last two or three months. The stat watchers all think we’re talking a hot streak we’re actually talking about a 10-15 game sample where he’s played as one of our best forwards. It’s the play style that’s changed, not the points,he’s more assertive in his body. Last year he was getting run over by perfetti, and was knocking over Larkin without actually trying too. T during this stretch he’s been an bsolute bull as a forechecker pulling a 2nd defender in and freeing caufield and Suzuki. He’s never going to be bedard but I can definitely see him having a Rick Nash like career

Reactions: salwan and CauZuki

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal

But i guess a pro like yourself knows more then these guys.
Ah the good old rankings... always good for a good laugh. Those guys are not experts. At least not more than our scouts.

From 2012. How accurate did the ranking turned out?
9. Montreal Canadiens – An Excellent 2012 Draft Class propels the Habs into the Top Ten. Alex Galchenyuk is the stud centre that every team covets. Michael Bournival, Brady Vail, and Louis Leblanc create depth at the position, though Leblanc may ultimately switch to RW full time. Sebastian Collberg was the steal of the 2012 Draft as we had him rated much higher than where he was picked. Brendan Gallagher, Danny Kristo, Tim Bozon, Charles Hudon and Patrick Holland create skill and depth on the wings. Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi, Morgan Ellis and Dalton Thrower are all potential top 4 Defencemen, while Darren Dietz, Josiah Didier, Mac Bennett, Greg Pateryn, and Brendan Nash create depth in a defence group that rivals any in the league except maybe the Penguins. The lack of a quality goaltending prospect is the only thing that keeps this group in the second tier and away from the NHL elites

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Ah the good old rankings... always good for a good laugh. Those guys are not experts. At least not more than our scouts.

From 2012. How accurate did the ranking turned out?

I would argue we were especially bad a development , especially players that played in any non-standard way. Our drafting also was suspect but I think it falls more on development based on what we've seen. I am of the opinion we've already turned the page from those days. As our youngsters are actually doing well in the AHL / Junior / Europe.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Your expert Pronman also had the Dallas Stars as 27th in the league for young core with Heiskanen, Robertson and Hintze in the pipeline back in 2018 while MTL was 17th with guys like Suzuki and Kotkaniemi but nothing else.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
17 points in 33 while playing impressive winning hockey > 12 points in 33 while being completely irrelevant. Well not completely, he wins a board battle every game !

Reactions: Voight

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
17 points in 33 while playing impressive winning hockey > 12 points in 33 while being completely irrelevant. Well not completely, he wins a board battle every game !
Since early November, Cooley has 9 pts in 23 games, Slafkovsky has 11 pts in 23 games. Your interpretation of 'winning hockey' is... to be charitable... meaningless.

You're counting total points and calculating 'pace' for 19 year olds, completely unaware of progress and how quickly pace keeps changing those numbers. It's a very poor way to evaluate such raw players.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Since early November, Cooley has 9 pts in 23 games, Slafkovsky has 11 pts in 23 games. Your interpretation of 'winning hockey' is... to be charitable... meaningless.

You're counting total points and calculating 'pace' for 19 year olds, completely unaware of progress and how quickly pace keeps changing those numbers. It's a very poor way to evaluate such raw players.
Comparing a rookie with a sophomore is, itself, a bit pathetic. Rookies are distinguished from veterans for a reason.

Anyway the whole debate is about what they'll provide not what they're providing now. Slafkovsky's impact, if it goes well, is definitely more unique than Cooley but who knows what'll happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad