Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I don't know how many times we see premature threads about players or teams that end up looking foolish.....I am amazed at how history repeats itself over and over again.

Reactions: HabsQC

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He hasn’t looked great but it’s way too early to make claimed like this.

Got to see how the next couple seasons play out

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
I guarantee its Cooley and then Nemec. I dont think he'll be a bust by any means, but no way he goes first after what Cooley and Nemec have done in their D+1 and shown in their little NHL experience.

What has Cooley shown exactly? 7 5v5 points and 40% corsi. I think Slaf’s last 10 games is the best any of those 3 prospects has shown in the NHL and puts him ahead. For now.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
Well, if you're going to call me boy tell me your age.

Habs draft (draught) is weak, just like their beer.

Simple as that. Not even meant to be rude just telling it like it is.
Nah, you tried to be funny and failed.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
What has Cooley shown exactly? 7 5v5 points and 40% corsi. I think Slaf’s last 10 games is the best any of those 3 prospects has shown in the NHL and puts him ahead. For now.
I haven't watched Cooley so I can't speak on his behalf but right now I pick Nemec over Slaf 10 times out of 10. Nemec is going to be a surefire #1 dman & has played remarkable. This kid is more poised than veterans. Even if Slaf hits a ceiling of being a power forward who puts up points, a true #1 RD is one of the rarest things to acquire in the league. They never get traded. You only get them by drafting one or overpaying drastically in FA & even that never happens. Nemec will do it all from PP, to PK and everything in-between. The fact he's averaging over 20 min per game in his rookie season & is excelling is actually insane.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
I haven't watched Cooley so I can't speak on his behalf but right now I pick Nemec over Slaf 10 times out of 10. Nemec is going to be a surefire #1 dman & has played remarkable. This kid is more poised than veterans. Even if Slaf hits a ceiling of being a power forward who puts up points, a true #1 RD is one of the rarest things to acquire in the league. They never get traded. You only get them by drafting one or overpaying drastically in FA & even that never happens. Nemec will do it all from PP, to PK and everything in-between. The fact he's averaging over 20 min per game in his rookie season & is excelling is actually insane.
I said on the day of the draft that I would have taken any of the other top five players over Slafkovksy, and I maintain that position, suspecting that I will continue to do so until they have all retired.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Which is a team still young but on the rise while having one of the top prospect pools in the NHL? That doesn't include 2 young top 6 forwards that are out long term (Dach / Newhook). Marty St-Louis is working wonders and our management seems competent for once.

I don't see an issue with the state of the organization. The seats are full , the team had a few bad years and while they were never a powerhouse , now there are many young players doing well in the NHL and outside (WJC / Junior / AHL).

I do agree Habs don't have McDavid / Kucherov type star in their ranks but they have quite a few that are potentially a tier below and we have examples of NHL teams winning the cup withour superstars.

Should be a fun end of decade :).
What in the world?

The only interesting prospects are Hutson, Reinbacher and Roy. And only Hutson has game breaking abilities.

Other teams have Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Mitchkov in their prospect pool.

Our prospect pool is definitely not top 10 in the league. In fact, it's closer to bottom 10.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I said on the day of the draft that I would have taken any of the other top five players over Slafkovksy, and I maintain that position, suspecting that I will continue to do so until they have all retired.
There is something off about Slafkovsky’s game and, being brutally honest, I don't feel like that feelings has gone away yet. Him playing with more impetus and presence is a welcome change but that something is still off.

Obviously as Habs fans we’re rooting for him but I simply feel like he made such a bad impression, and there are such relevant prior disappointments with the Habs rushing top drafted forwards and mismanaging "projects", that it’ll take a lot to change my feelings toward his potential and upside... He's doing better but 12pts in 33gp (on pace for 29 point season) is not something you want to see from a top drafted forward in his sophomore season. Whatever his path and wherever he ends up -- he is not taking the typical route.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
LOL, please stop, you're making this worse.
Someone points out the Canadiens are doing OK (not great) despite missing two forwards (Dach and Newhook) who were expected to be in the Habs top-six and they are making things worse? Interesting take on your part!

Reactions: viceroy

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He hasn’t looked great but it’s way too early to make claimed like this.

Got to see how the next couple seasons play out
people just want to be the "first" to proclaim something so if they are right they can pound their chests and say that they knew it all along.

On the other hand, when they're wrong its crickets. Go back and look at some MacKinnon threads from circa 2017 and see how many people said his ceiling was 60 pts. Some of the same posters are still on these boards making outlandish know-it-all claims about players under 22. Go look at Byfield threads from last year, same thing. Couturier had no offensive talent and would top out at 40 pts, etc etc.

People love to be loud about what they predicted but are often silent when they were wrong, its an epidemic around here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Which is a team still young but on the rise while having one of the top prospect pools in the NHL? That doesn't include 2 young top 6 forwards that are out long term (Dach / Newhook). Marty St-Louis is working wonders and our management seems competent for once.

I don't see an issue with the state of the organization. The seats are full , the team had a few bad years and while they were never a powerhouse , now there are many young players doing well in the NHL and outside (WJC / Junior / AHL).

I do agree Habs don't have McDavid / Kucherov type star in their ranks but they have quite a few that are potentially a tier below and we have examples of NHL teams winning the cup withour superstars.

Should be a fun end of decade :).

Do they have either a true franchise 1C or s franchise 1D?

Rebuilding without them is pretty terrible, building a low ceiling team

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Do they have either a true franchise 1C or s franchise 1D?

Rebuilding without them is pretty terrible, building a low ceiling team

I would argue that Guhle and Hutson have the potential to be top pairing D on a good playoff team , not ready to call them a franchise 1D as that's a high bar.

St-Louis , VGK both recently won cups with really great players but I would say no franchise 1C/1D by typical standards.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I would argue that Guhle and Hutson have the potential to be top pairing D on a good playoff team , not ready to call them a franchise 1D as that's a high bar.

St-Louis , VGK both recently won cups with really great players but I would say no franchise 1C/1D by typical standards.
Pietrangelo is absolutely a stud #1D lol that’s insane.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Pietrangelo is absolutely a stud #1D lol that’s insane.

Yeah I can see that but I suppose the way you phrased it made it seem a team had to draft and develop that player to win a cup? I thought we were talking about futures here? I can see Guhle getting close to that level of player but that's just my opinion and the opinion of some experts. (Who believe Guhle has stud potential)

Last edited:

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Number 1 D are valuable I agree, but powerforward too. Guys like Landeskog, Jamie Benn never been trade, . Etc.
Even if slakovsky isnt aav Point per game, he brings a lot about physical aspect of the game. Like, recently, Caufield and Suzuki produce at pretty good rate since Slaf in on the line. They have much more space.
I could see Slaf to have a career in terms of production like JVR/Brock Nelson wich is pretty good

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
What in the world?

The only interesting prospects are Hutson, Reinbacher and Roy. And only Hutson has game breaking abilities.

Our prospect pool is definitely not top 10 in the league. In fact, it's closer to bottom 10.

I don't think it's fair to bring up Bedard , it's like bringing up McDavid , what has it done for Edmonton? If you condition a succesful team by having the likes of McDavid/Bedard in their prospect pool than Habs may never be a succesful team based on that standard. (Which imo is not a realistic standard)

Slafkovsky is literally 19 and is turning up the heat and I personally believe in his skillset. While it is true we don't have Bedard and Fantilli , we have seen many teams do well with a very solid group. Suzuki / Caufield / Slafkovsky / Dach / Newhook / Roy / Beck is a very solid group to build around. Habs defensive group has also a tonne of potential with Guhle / Hutson / Reinbacher / Barron / Struble / Harris / Mailloux / Engstrom (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other notables). I would even argue as far as saying Habs top 4 D is nearly set with the quality of prospects in the pool and young D in the league.

I do agree though that the Habs are still at least 1-2 elite pieces away from being a future legit team (not including addressing goaltending) but there are many pieces there and dismissing them just makes the argument feel disingenuous. Especially when the Habs had the most players in the WJC just last year. (Which tends to track with strong prospect pools)

Last edited:

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
What in the world?

To the 2nd point about the prospect pool I disagree Habs defensive prospect list is at least top 3-5 in the league by itself. Especially based on what they're doing in their respective leagues.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Yeah I can see that but I suppose the way you phrased it made it seem a team had to draft and develop that player to win a cup? I thought we were talking about futures here? I can see Guhle getting close to that level of player but that's just my opinion and the opinion of some experts. (Who believe Guhle has stud potential)
St Louis did draft and develop him. Vegas is the exception to the rule that a stud 1D was a free agent.

Get serious here there an extremely low chance Guhle is ever as good as Pietro.

Let’s put the shovel down here.

I would argue Eichel also just makes the cut for a Elite #1 center. Now in the case of St Louis you can probably make the argument they were 4 lines strong but no elite forwards
Well ROR was a ppg player both regular season and playoffs and is well known as an exceptional defensive player in the mold of Bergeron. That’s pretty damn close to an elite 1C. He did with the conn smythe after all

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
St Louis did draft and develop him. Vegas is the exception to the rule that a stud 1D was a free agent.

Get serious here there an extremely low chance Guhle is ever as good as Pietro.

Let’s put the shovel down here.

I think a tier below is not unreasonable they have similar pedigree minus the draft position. Guhle WJC captain , top D for Canada , doing very well at the NHL at 20/21 years of ago. What's so hard about saying Guhle has number 1 D potential on a playoff team? I don't see that as a stretch.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well I was about as bearish on this kid as anyone even up to about a month and a half ago but he's starting to look pretty good. He'll never be an elite 1oa talent but he's looking like he'll be an impact player which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad