Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Yak put up some points in his first few years before completely cratering.

Yep, Yak brought us joy and strung our hope along for a while. He's kinda the king of busts with some great soundbites and moments. I was at the game where he slid. Such a fun game overall, just yelling and freaking out with the rollercoaster (pure Oilers). My brother still wears a Yak jersey to games for fun & trolling.

as to the OP, patience Mon frère. Lots of time for Slaf to slaf.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think a tier below is not unreasonable they have similar pedigree minus the draft position. Guhle WJC captain , top D for Canada , doing very well at the NHL at 20/21 years of ago. What's so hard about saying Guhle has number 1 D potential on a playoff team? I don't see that as a stretch.
This is you being ‘objective and unbiased again’ lol

Reactions: EquivalentStay

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
Pretty good indicator right here that people on hfboards don't watch games... My fellow Habs fans need to chill though. Cooley and Nemec are good...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Slafkovsky is literally 19 and is turning up the heat and I personally believe in his skillset. While it is true we don't have Bedard and Fantilli , we have seen many teams do well with a very solid group. Suzuki / Caufield / Slafkovsky / Dach / Newhook / Roy / Beck is a very solid group to build around. Habs defensive group has also a tonne of potential with Guhle / Hutson / Reinbacher / Barron / Struble / Harris / Mailloux / Engstrom (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other notables). I would even argue as far as saying Habs top 4 D is nearly set with the quality of prospects in the pool and young D in the league.
The player you mentioned are kind of players that literally every team has in their prospect pool.

The fact you include Owen Beck, Jayden Stuble or Jordan Harris is telling. They wouldn't be NHLers on a good team.

I agree with you that the D are set and the quality and depth is better. However what makes our prospect pool so crappy are the forwards.
If Hughes has a major transaction in mind, to boost the forward group, my opinion might change but right now, I am not optimistic. I'd rather be in the other 31 teams shoes than ours.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I don't see an issue with the state of the organization. The seats are full , the team had a few bad years and while they were never a powerhouse , now there are many young players doing well in the NHL and outside (WJC / Junior / AHL).

I do agree Habs don't have McDavid / Kucherov type star in their ranks but they have quite a few that are potentially a tier below and we have examples of NHL teams winning the cup withour superstars.

Should be a fun end of the decade :).
Like who?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I don't know how many times we see premature threads about players or teams that end up looking foolish.....I am amazed at how history repeats itself over and over again.
Difference is other players have shown flashes of brilliance. This guys highlight moments are retrieving loose pucks.

On top of that, he wasn't even the consensus #1 pick, unlike other top prospects who drafted at the appropriate position. Ask Habs fans if they'd rather have Slaf or one of Nemec/Cooley. Dude only has 12 points and pacing for 29 over a full season, that's straight up atrocious for a #1 pick, especially in this crazy high scoring era. It would be like pacing for 15-20 points in the Yakupov era.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
What in the world?

The only interesting prospects are Hutson, Reinbacher and Roy. And only Hutson has game breaking abilities.

Other teams have Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Mitchkov in their prospect pool.

Our prospect pool is definitely not top 10 in the league. In fact, it's closer to bottom 10.

But i guess a pro like yourself knows more then these guys.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The player you mentioned are kind of players that literally every team has in their prospect pool.

The fact you include Owen Beck, Jayden Stuble or Jordan Harris is telling. They wouldn't be NHLers on a good team.

I agree with you that the D are set and the quality and depth is better. However what makes our prospect pool so crappy are the forwards.
If Hughes has a major transaction in mind, to boost the forward group, my opinion might change but right now, I am not optimistic. I'd rather be in the other 31 teams shoes than ours.

Caufield, Suzuki, Slav and Dach are solid players and every team would like to have them.

Slave was touted as a Jagr type player who needed a few years to grow into himself, and that's coming to fruition - don't flake on him yet.

I don't watch Habs games, so I can't talk about their blue line or prospects.

The team isn't quite as far away as the standings show.

If Mtl was in the Pacific, or the West in general, they would be comfortably in a playoff picture.

• Haha
Reactions: Galactico

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Caufield, Suzuki, Slav and Dach are solid players and every team would like to have them.

Slave was touted as a Jagr type player who needed a few years to grow into himself, and that's coming to fruition - don't flake on him yet.

I don't watch Habs games, so I can't talk about their blue line or prospects.

The team isn't quite as far away as the standings show.

If Mtl was in the Pacific, or the West in general, they would be comfortably in a playoff picture.
I've watched Slaf and Jagr enough to say thats just a poor comparison. Play nothing alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad