Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I guarantee the Habs would still take 6'3", 230 lbs Juraj Slafkovsky over 5'10", 174 lbs Logan Cooley.
Wasn’t aware that people stopped gaining weight after age 19.

And no, in hindsight, with what Cooley did last year in NCAA he would’ve been a virtual lock for #1. It’s the best junior league on the planet.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good to see him put up a couple of points but that shot rate is way too low to indicate he has turned a corner offensively.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
Stupid topic.

When you have a minimum of hockey culture, you never write that from 2022.

Because you know that there have been No. 1s who did not have a career in the NHL (or briefly), because you know that you have to wait several years in most cases to get an idea of the player ceiling, because you know Slafkovsky did big things to be selected No. 1.

Moreover, to this day, he would still be number 1 in a redraft. Cooley is in trouble with Arizona. He has the points but the game without the puck is very complicated.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Feels awfully similar to the Laf topic, for better or worse. A lot of premature takes and a lot of copium arguing against each other.
It feels similar to a lot of threads where high pick prospects have struggled early on. Some improved a lot like Laf and others didn’t.
But I agree it’s premature.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Has improved since last year.. .next goal puts him at a career high in points, goals, .ppg and assists. Steady improvement.

Not only he improved from last year, but he got better compared to the start of the season or maybe it was Anderson dragging him down, who knows ?

-His head is always up, so he's not getting clipped by the Rossi's of this world.

-He's not losing balance, so he's able to win most of his board battles.

-His stick work and pressure are awesome, he can get takeaways and setup his teammates.

-He's fast and agile and often the first player to get back in the defensive zone, he's not lost anymore.

-His passing is crisp.

-He needs to work on his shot, the release, the shot selection, the aiming and needs to shoot way more, but he's improving in that area.

-I also find that he tend to get rid of the puck too soon.

I was one of his biggest detractor as a Habs fan, but this season, he showed that I was wrong and I'm glad.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Good to see him put up a couple of points but that shot rate is way too low to indicate he has turned a corner offensively.
Lack of confidence in his game. He is slowly playing better as the season continue. He will probably shoot more next season and not try to pass every time.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
This thread is patently absurd. There's no world in which he's the worst ever. He's in the league, there's first overall picks that couldn't even do that much. He's not a great first overall but worst? That's not even debateable

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Andre Veilleux was the #1 overall pick by the Rags in 1965 and never played a professional game.

While there was some good players picked in the drafts pre 1969, 1969 is considered the first "real draft" the nhl had. The 5 before that basically had a collection of players not signed by nhl teams already. I believe 1969 was the first that made all players under 20 forced to enter the draft

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I don't see an issue with the state of the organization. The seats are full , the team had a few bad years and while they were never a powerhouse , now there are many young players doing well in the NHL and outside (WJC / Junior / AHL).

I do agree Habs don't have McDavid / Kucherov type star in their ranks but they have quite a few that are potentially a tier below and we have examples of NHL teams winning the cup withour superstars.

Should be a fun end of the decade :).

Last edited:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Some HF posters are so annoying. Yes they are well informed about prospects, but when you read them it seems they know the future of every prospect before they have played a full season or sometimes even a single game.

People here expect every top 5 pick to make an immediate impact and if they don't they are a bust.

TLDR : Chill and wait a bit. A draft should be judged like 5 years after it happened.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
you'd think after seeing multiple large players take a longer time to hit theirstride the people on the mainboards would give Slafkovsky a longer leash.:dunno:

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad