Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
He’d still go first in a redraft. Advanced stats wise his line with Suzuki and Caufield has been amongst the best at 5v5. Which really fits the eye test. He’s a beast at creating turnover in the ozone. Suzuki and caufield were doing “one-and-done” offense, now with Slaf they have a cycle game, game changer for them.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He’d still go first in a redraft. Advanced stats wise his line with Suzuki and Caufield has been amongst the best at 5v5. Which really fits the eye test. He’s a beast at creating turnover in the ozone. Suzuki and caufield were doing “one-and-done” offense, now with Slaf they have a cycle game, game changer for them.
I guarantee its Cooley and then Nemec. I dont think he'll be a bust by any means, but no way he goes first after what Cooley and Nemec have done in their D+1 and shown in their little NHL experience.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I guarantee its Cooley and then Nemec. I dont think he'll be a bust by any means, but no way he goes first after what Cooley and Nemec have done in their D+1 and shown in their little NHL experience.

Sadly, I agree. There's still plenty of time for that to change in the coming years but as of right now, Cooley and Nemec are first and second without the slightest hesitation.

That all being said, it's a tad ridiculous some are writing off a 19 year old kid because he hasn't become a superstar yet. Look no further than Lafreniere who pretty much everyone wrote off as a bust until this season. Slaf will likely never become the "sexy" #1 we're used to seeing but he could still become an impact player in a few years.

This thread is about two years early. If he's still barely hitting 30 points at 21 after four seasons, then it's far more fair to give him the "bust" label.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
They had a 2/3 chance it wouldn't be a great pick. Wright hasn't been amazing either and really the 3 options were wright/slaf/cooley

I don't think anyone was thinking nemec at 1 at the draft.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Sadly, I agree. There's still plenty of time for that to change in the coming years but as of right now, Cooley and Nemec are first and second without the slightest hesitation.
Jiricek/Nemec 2 and 3 actually. Id even go as far to say Mintyukov and Gauthier follow.

But yes, just like what we're seeing with 6'5 220 lbs Quinton Byfield... Slaf could breakout out in a few years and be a top foward forward in the game at his peak. Being heavy at age 19 isnt easy.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
They had a 2/3 chance it wouldn't be a great pick. Wright hasn't been amazing either and really the 3 options were wright/slaf/cooley

I don't think anyone was thinking nemec at 1 at the draft.
for all of the Cooley hype he hasn't been playing that well either.

He started well - 8 pts in 10gp but he has 9 pts in 22 games since, he also has only 7 ESP this season vs 10 for Slaf.

At this point, Cooley probably goes #1 in a redraft but it wouldn't be a slam dunk. Its so early and it could change fast and even flip flop or both could be passed by someone like Mintyukov.

I think cooley will always put up more pts but Slaf brings a lot more to the game than pure offensive skill. Not a direct comparison, but most people would probably take Nichushkin over a guy like Johnny Gaudreau despite the large difference in offensive production. I know cooley is a C and slightly bigger but that's the vibe I get from him. Again, they are teenagers so we have a long ways to go.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
for all of the Cooley hype he hasn't been playing that well either.

He started well - 8 pts in 10gp but he has 9 pts in 22 games since, he also has only 7 ESP this season vs 10 for Slaf.

At this point, Cooley probably goes #1 in a redraft but it wouldn't be a slam dunk. Its so early and it could change fast and even flip flop or both could be passed by someone like Mintyukov.

I think cooley will always put up more pts but Slaf brings a lot more to the game than pure offensive skill. Not a direct comparison, but most people would probably take Nichushkin over a guy like Johnny Gaudreau despite the large difference in offensive production. I know cooley is a C and slightly bigger but that's the vibe I get from him. Again, they are teenagers so we have a long ways to go.
Why would Cooley go No 1 in a redraft?

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
He plays really good right now, he seemed to have understand to keep his head up and uses his body to create separation which allow him more time to make a play, he his no longer lost on the ice and he starts to rack up points. He will never be worth a first overall but I think he will be a really good complement on the top 6, probably has a ceiling of 60 pts but with big physical presence in front of the net

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Cooley has been garbage in the NHL and Nemec hasn't really shown much of anything either (Which is expected for a 19 y.o defenseman)?

Reactions: viceroy

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Cooley has been garbage in the NHL and Nemec hasn't really shown much of anything either (Which is expected for a 19 y.o defenseman)?
Cooley is also on a garbage team which never helps, but hes been better than many (non-generational) rookies who start their career on bad teams. The fact that he dominated NCAA shows a lot of promise, as its the best junior league in the world.

Reactions: Voight

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Cooley is also on a garbage team which never helps, but hes been better than many (non-generational) rookies who start their career on bad teams. The fact that he dominated NCAA shows a lot of promise. Its the best junior league in the world.
He has the worst +/- on his team and his defensive metrics are awful. His 5v5 production is also lackluster. I think he is going to be an elite offensive player in his prime once he gains a bit of strength but he is not a NHL player this year.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
He has the worst +/- on his team and his defensive metrics are awful. His 5v5 production is also lackluster. I think he is going to be an elite offensive player in his prime once he gains a bit of strength but he is not a NHL player this year.
I mean Keller is a -10 too.... whatever the case, most NHL rookies have holes in their defensive games. Adapting that side of the game can take a few years.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Has improved since last year.. .next goal puts him at a career high in points, goals, .ppg and assists. Steady improvement.

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
I guarantee the Habs would still take 6'3", 230 lbs Juraj Slafkovsky over 5'10", 174 lbs Logan Cooley.

Slafkovsky makes one decent tape-to-tape pass and Habs fans are like "this guy is revving up."
If you think all he has done is make "one decent tape-to-tape pass", you clearly have not been watching Slaf play. He has been much better this season, particularly in the past few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad