Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Every single player you have named has had a more successful career than Slafkovsky. Every single one. Like, what are you even trying to prove here?

Try again.

Lmfao! Career? So by your logic, bedard was at once the worst 1st overall pick, because, based on points, there was a time when he had the least amount of points among all 1st overalls. Now I know you are trolling. Go back to stat watching and leave the hockey discussion to people who know what they are talking about

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and OKR

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Lmfao! Career? So by your logic, bedard was at once the worst 1st overall pick, because, based on points, there was a time when he had the least amount of points among all 1st overalls. Now I know you are trolling. Go back to stat watching and leave the hockey discussion to people who know what they are talking about

Dude, are you okay?

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Good grief, it's not too early to tell. There's a very small pool of potentially worse picks than Slafkovsky.

If you don't think any of them are clearly worse than Slaf at this point then that's a clear admission on your part that everyone you've been railing against in this thread is right and you are wrong.
Only if you are 5 years old. Slaf is already doing better than Yakupov, Wickenheiser, Daigle did in their entire careers.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You must be a very simple person to assume that all first overalls follow a predetermined development curve based on their first 72 games.
Again, you are making wildly incorrect assumptions about what I think or assume.

The fact is that Slafkovsky is trending to be one the worst 1OA picks in a couple of decades. It's up to JS to change that trajectory. The good news he's young enough to do that, but it's not a certainty that he will.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Nope. All three of them had better numbers than Slafkovsky did at the same number of games. But kudos to you for pointing out that Slaf might well be the worst 1OA in over 40 years.
But, Joe Thornton did not. So....your logic dictates that Slaf is a better first overall pick than Joe Thornton, but worse than Wickenheiser, Yak, and Daigle. f***ing neato

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
But, Joe Thornton did not. So....your logic dictates that Slaf is a better first overall pick than Joe Thornton, but worse than Wickenheiser, Yak, and Daigle. f***ing neato
Seriously, are you okay?

There's no rational reason for you to make the comments you are making.

Reactions: TS Quint

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Seriously, are you okay?

There's no rational reason for you to make the comments you are making.
I'm going to make a statement. Much like the OP, I'll leave it to you to prove me wrong. Based on all of your arguments so far. Here it goes.

Slaf is a better first overall pick than Joe Thornton. Prove me wrong.

Do you see the idiocy in that statement? Because if you do, you will find the idiocy in your comments.

• Wow
Reactions: Devonator

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I'm going to make a statement. Much like the OP, I'll leave it to you to prove me wrong. Based on all of your arguments so far. Here it goes.

Slaf is a better first overall pick than Joe Thornton. Prove me wrong.

Do you see the idiocy in that statement? Because if you do, you will find the idiocy in your comments.
The post I was responding to mentioned Yakupov, Wickenheiser, and Daigle, all of whom had better starts to their careers than Slafkovsky. So I addressed that.

I honestly don't know what point you think you are making by introducing Thornton into the discussion.

I genuinely don't get this rabid fixation you have with defending Slafkovsky against any and all objective depictions of his performance. It's been disappointing so far. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge this simple fact?

Reactions: TimeZone

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The post I was responding to mentioned Yakupov, Wickenheiser, and Daigle, all of whom had better starts to their careers than Slafkovsky. So I addressed that.

I honestly don't know what point you think you are making by introducing Thornton into the discussion.

I genuinely don't get this rabid fixation you have with defending Slafkovsky against any and all objective depictions of his performance. It's been disappointing so far. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge this simple fact?
You stated, Slaf is a worse first overall pick than Wickenheiser, Yak and Daigle because at this point in their careers they had more points. It doesnt matter to you, that they flamed out. Slaf is still a worse 1st overall pick because, you know...points to this point in their career.

You have also, previously stated that points are essentially the only measurable that matters when analyzing performance, and it is what you have hinged your so called "objective depiction" of Slafs performance on.

I have repeatedly said there is more to assessing a player than points. I provided a breakdown of his overall play, while you hammer the "points" point over and over again. You have provided no insight to Slafs performance in other areas of the game.

I also said, players develop at different paces, but you ignored that and tripled down on the points argument. It's all you have to argue.

So again, based on your arguments here...and your logic, it is safe to assume that Slaf is a better 1st overall pick than Jumbo.

Do you not see the stupidity around arguing the strength of your opinion on "points to this point in their career".

It is incomplete, it is ignorant, and it is unintelligent. Either that accurately describes you, or you are doing a wonderful job of trolling me.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
You stated, Slaf is a worse first overall pick than Wickenheiser, Yak and Daigle because at this point in their careers they had more points. It doesnt matter to you, that they flamed out. Slaf is still a worse 1st overall pick because, you know...points to this point in their career.

You have also, previously stated that points are essentially the only measurable that matters when analyzing performance, and it is what you have hinged your so called "objective depiction" of Slafs performance on.

I have repeatedly said there is more to assessing a player than points. I provided a breakdown of his overall play, while you hammer the "points" point over and over again. You have provided no insight to Slafs performance in other areas of the game.

I also said, players develop at different paces, but you ignored that and tripled down on the points argument. It's all you have to argue.

So again, based on your arguments here...and your logic, it is safe to assume that Slaf is a better 1st overall pick than Jumbo.

Do you not see the stupidity around arguing the strength of your opinion on "points to this point in their career".

It is incomplete, it is ignorant, and it is unintelligent. Either that accurately describes you, or you are doing a wonderful job of trolling me.
Sigh. So much wrong I'm honestly not sure where to begin.

I didn't say Slaf was a worse overall pick than Wickenheiser, Yak, or Daigle. I simply pointed out that all 3 of them had better starts to their careers than Slafkovsky. Therefore, it's not a slam dunk that they were worse picks than Slafkovsky. It's foolish to argue otherwise.

But on that note, points production absolutely does matter when a team drafts a winger with the first overall pick. I honestly can't fathom why you're arguing this. Your beloved Thornton is regarded as one of the all time greats precisely because he put up a boatload of points over the course of his career.

It boggles my mind you keep glossing over this point.

Slafkovsky has to produce points to justify his 1OA status.

This should not be a complicated or contentious issue.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Sigh. So much wrong I'm honestly not sure where to begin.

I didn't say Slaf was a worse overall pick than Wickenheiser, Yak, or Daigle. I simply pointed out that all 3 of them had better starts to their careers than Slafkovsky. Therefore, it's not a slam dunk that they were worse picks than Slafkovsky. It's foolish to argue otherwise.

But on that note, points production absolutely does matter when a team drafts a winger with the first overall pick. I honestly can't fathom why you're arguing this. Your beloved Thornton is regarded as one of the all time greats precisely because he put up a boatload of points over the course of his career.

It boggles my mind you keep glossing over this point.

Slafkovsky has to produce points to justify his 1OA status.

This should not be a complicated or contentious issue.
My whole point over this entire sage, is that it is too early to declare him the worst 1st overall pick.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
But until his offensive production improves significantly, he will remain in the conversation for worst 1OA pick in recent history.

Be honest, which 1OA in the past 20 drafts would you argue is clearly worse than Slafkovsky?
A lot of them. If you're talking about skill, not necessarily, but overall package definitely not. There's quite a few busts out there, meanwhile Slafkovsky is already showing improvement and has the attributes needed to keep improving.

I'm not a Habs fan but as an outside observer, why does there seem to be so much panic as to Slaf being a bust? The kid's only 19.

I don't watch every shift of his that's why I ask.
There isn't. It's just controversy from other fans who aren't watching him and just stat watching.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Some of y'all reaaaaally despise Slafkovsky lmao
It's a habs thing. You win 24 cups and everyone is going to hate you, it doesn't matter if you go 30 years without a cup that hatred lasts forever. Combine that with a big market, a different language (I personally know many Canadians who refuse to acknowledge French as a national language) etc and you get this type of thing.

Us habs fans are happy with how he is progressing, and only time will tell. It's been 73 games , if people want to write the book before the first chapter is even finished, let them. It'll only make them look dumber down the road

Souker

Feb 10, 2020
This thread lmao
I don’t know which side is worse:
a. The premature trigger pullers calling a big framed 19 year old that hasn’t had a full season yet potentially the worst 1 OVA pick ever
Or
b. some Habs fans reading to much into Slaf’s “flashes”. Every high potential players (including busts) have had “flashes”.

Truth is, we don’t know what we have yet.
The is no point in this debate like there is no point in debating whether we will have dry or wet 2025 summer. Let’s wait and see. Let’s not make irrational conclusions based on recent weather.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
A lot of them. If you're talking about skill, not necessarily, but overall package definitely not. There's quite a few busts out there, meanwhile Slafkovsky is already showing improvement and has the attributes needed to keep improving.

Name them.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
another knees up play by slafkovsky for a beautiful set up on the suzuki goal tonight, thread is a joke at this point

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad