Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Seems to have no particular talent, no skill, no speed, big with no big man qualities, doesn’t produce points, his shot is bad, his passing is average… Is he the worst first pick ever ?
Perhaps, and quite likely the other couple of top picks would also have been the worst #1 ever.

So is your point to crap on Slafkovsky or to note the thin quality of the 2022 class, which mostly lost 1 year of development?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ha, ha.

Shane Wright has a chance to make Montreal regret their decision. Let's hope he does.

It’s still way early but it’s not looking too good. I was torn between Wright and Cooley 1st overall. Wright hasn’t done anything spectacular. Cooley looks legit.

He wasn’t in conversation for 1st overall but I loved and still love Cutter Gauthier. Think Philly got a good one.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The first 5 threads lol
So much negativity

1698125137727.png

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I haven’t seen him play too much, just a few games last year. He clearly has talent and physical tools, but his vision is simply atrocious. He was caught with his head down far too many times last year. He puts himself in dangerous positions and is going to shorten his career if he can’t pick his head up. Aside from the health impact or his poor vision, he also doesn’t see his teammates or the amount of pressure he is facing. So much of hockey is having your eyes to the right place and counting jerseys to find the open man, so I think he will be limited until he fixes that.

zar

Bleed Blue
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again… not all draft years are the same and not all #1OA picks are equal, hence the reason I disagree with limiting any team with how many lottery picks they can get/win.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
So, we have a 19-year-old prospect that has achieved more than about any other player at his age and who is already the heaviest forward in the league, and need to discuss whether he's the worst pick ever because he "only" has 11 points in 44 NHL games as a teenager? Hyperbole much...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No he’s not. But in a couple years he certainly might be. I’m getting Doug Wickenheiser vibes from Slafkoski.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I would certainly say he isn’t living up to 1st overall expectations but I would more certainly say it isn’t fair to call a player a bust who is 19 years old. Give him at least 2-3 more seasons and then we can assess him better

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i mean it was considered a weak draft at the time, and Slaf and Wright look like nothing special, but they can both end up being good, especially a big huge specimen like Slaf, they take longer to deverlop than a smaller, speedy guy like Cooley for example who seem to have better luck making an instant impact in the modern NHL.

Reactions: loadie

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Seems to have no particular talent, no skill, no speed, big with no big man qualities, doesn’t produce points, his shot is bad, his passing is average… Is he the worst first pick ever ?

Plus, he has acne, he always spills his food, always cuts in line ahead of vet teammates, demands first class accommodations and treatment, always sings bad in the shower, just kicks his flip flops where-ever, wears his jersey inside out just to piss off the brass... what a nightmare human being this is, forget hockey!

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I think picking him was not only the worst draft pick in the history of sports but one of the worst decisions mankind ever made.

War
Pollution
Slafkovsky

Don't pretend like Slafkovsky isn't to blame for war and pollution. Homer!

in 3-4 years Slafkovsky is gooing to be a very dominant winger. But he's 19, can't even drink beer in the US (for some reason).

The first 5 threads lol
So much negativity

View attachment 756827

Welcome to the internegativenet

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The fact that this question is being asked when there are multiple 1st overall picks who never even played a single NHL game is laughable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The fact that this question is being asked when there are multiple 1st overall picks who never even played a single NHL game is laughable.

Eh, that was because the best junior players were already signed before the draft in those years. It’s so incomparable you really can’t call them first overall picks.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Doubt he's worse than Stefan and Daigle among others, but I did feel like he was a bad pick at the time. People saw him dominate weaker competition before the draft and assumed he would always be that dominant. If not for his heroic performance at the Olympics and WC then he likely would have been picked lower. I think Kaako was drafted too high for similar reasons.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Doubt he's worse than Stefan and Daigle among others, but I did feel like he was a bad pick at the time. People saw him dominate weaker competition before the draft and assumed he would always be that dominant. If not for his heroic performance at the Olympics and WC then he likely would have been picked lower. I think Kaako was drafted too high for similar reasons.
Kakko was amongst the best players in the Liiga in his draft year, then followed that up by being amongst the best players for his team at the WC, Slafkovsky barely made the Liiga and was rather underwhelming there.

Their pedigree pre-draft isn’t anyway comparable.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He scored 10 points in his draft year,

Draft year league performance is not the be-all, end-all but 10 points is ridiculously low. A massive red flag that was avoided by the geniuses running the Habs.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
(mod)
Kakko was amongst the best players in the Liiga in his draft year, then followed that up by being amongst the best players for his team at the WC, Slafkovsky barely made the Liiga and was rather underwhelming there.

Their pedigree pre-draft isn’t anyway comparable.
And it didn't change anything and he is still a bust. Leave Pedigree to a dogs dude, Slaf is 1000 times better btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad