Is Slafkovsky the worst #1 pick ever ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Yakupov, Stefan, even more Recently Lafreniere. Still super early, he doesn't look like a stud but not a complete bust either.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He reminds me a bit of Anthony Bennett (NBA) in that he was part of what was viewed as a very weak draft year, and he was never really discussed as a Number 1 pick throughout most of the process, but some team just happened to like them. In a way, that made both of them victim to far more unrealistic expectations than if they had just gone like 7th or whatever in a normal year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Two goals against Finland, one each against Sweden and the United States. At 17 against seasoned pros.
For what it's worth, USA brought a college team. Beniers, Knies, Faber, Commesso, Sanderson (unfortunately injured after 1 game), Farrell, Brisson, Helleson were all below the U.S. drinking age.

Finland had a pretty great squad of KHL players though and won Gold.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Seems to have no particular talent, no skill, no speed, big with no big man qualities, doesn’t produce points, his shot is bad, his passing is average… Is he the worst first pick ever ?
He showed how good he can be against Toronto, just frustrating to watch at times. Maybe a season in Laval wouldn't have been a bad thing

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
As a Ducks fan, who's seen a succesful team built around several power forwards in the last 18 years, I just have this to say ...

Juraj Slafkovsky is currently 19 years old.

Corey Perry didn't make his first full NHL season until he was 21.

Ryan Getzlaf didn't make his first full NHL season until he was 21.

Bobby Ryan (drafted 2nd overall behind Crosby) didn't make his full first full NHL season until he was 22.

So yeah, it's not a myth that power forwards take longer to develop, generally speaking.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Yakupov, Stefan, even more Recently Lafreniere. Still super early, he doesn't look like a stud but not a complete bust either.

Laf is at least a 0.5PPG player. Below what you want from a 1OA, but is a legitimate middle-6 player at age 22, so still a 1st round quality player.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This thread = HF Boards in a nutshell
"HF Boards is a nut house." <--- Fixed it for you.

This entire Board is insane and looking to argue about anything. Post the sun will come up, tomorrow, and 10 posters will sarcastically ask, "What are you talking about? Have you even watched the sun come up in the morning?"

Not sure why this place is so toxic - I understand every type of forum is the same.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
He looks awful and doesn't belong in the NHL.

The only entertainment I'm getting from Slaf is reading contrived positive reports about him, game-to-game on the Habs board: "Oh yeah, guys... I had tix tonight and saw him in person and... uh... he was skating in better places and uh... keeping his head up and stuff... yay!"

You'd think you are at one of those school talent shows where you have to endure 8 years old kids butcher their violins or sing like screeching cats, and some of the parents have that weird admirative look and insist that it's all amazing.

Reactions: Goon42 and Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad