Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hughes' next contract will likely be slightly under Makar's. How much are we talking? $7+ million for Hughes? Is he worth that much right now?

keep in mind, there is also a 3 year flat cap which also brings down the value of all players for the next 3 seasons. We will have to hope, that Makar out scores him Significantly in order for Hughes to have a lower contract. If they finish within 5 points of each other regardless of Hughes Plus minus his agency will push for him to have a similar contract. He's currently our points leader right now at 14 in 13, but we'll have to see by the end of the season. I don't expect him to keep this pace up though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
keep in mind, there is also a 3 year flat cap which also brings down the value of all players for the next 3 seasons. We will have to hope, that Makar out scores him Significantly in order for Hughes to have a lower contract. If they finish within 5 points of each other regardless of Hughes Plus minus his agency will push for him to have a similar contract. He's currently our points leader right now at 14 in 13, but we'll have to see by the end of the season. I don't expect him to keep this pace up though.
I don't see Hughes or Makar taking less money because of a lower or flat cap. That's not how this works. If anything their contracts might be back loaded. You don't get to say Hughes is one of the best defensemen in the league and then not want to pay him. He's going to get more than Chabot. The question is how much more.

EBrew

Jan 20, 2021
Fro what I’ve seen he’s overrated by some segments of the Canucks fan base but it’s only a few. I think he’s rated about right by most people: highly.

he’s excellent but not incredible. So far.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I think people are putting way too much stock into his defensive play to start this season. The whole team has basically been a mess in their own end and Hughes was much much better in that regard last season (based on both the eye test and advanced stats), and I’m sure he’ll return to that form

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Pfft. Young defensemen nowadays all try and be Karlsson with the offense. Learn to play defense, damn it. lol

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There are two teams in the division who can play defence: Habs and Flames. The other 5 team have "tire fire" defences. Canucks and Oilers have firepower but are glass cannons.
Strange how the Leafs have lower shots against than both and lower goals against than the Habs. How do you explain this contradiction to your theory?

In regards to the OP: Hard to say he is overrated unless you take the most enthusiastic fans seriously.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
He's 21 and a productive NHL defenseman at that age. He'll be fine. The defensive side of the game can be coached. You can't teach the raw offensive talent this kid has and trying to coach it out of him (ala Maurice on Laine in WPG) would be a mistake.
As of writing this he has 14 points, is a minus 7 with 8 even strength points. That means he has been on the ice for 15 goals against in 13 games, but he has also been on the ice for 14 goals for including power play production. For a 21 year old defenseman to be a net minus one in 13 games played is pretty good in this league. Add to that his 22+ minutes per game and that net minus one looks pretty damn good. This kid isn't being overrated. His ceiling is crazy. If he learns the defensive side his ceiling could be somewhere in the realm of Niedermeyer. If he doesn't he still could have a ceiling in the vicinity of Housley.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
His defense got overrated last year. There were many pushing the two-way stud narrative, and I don’t think that’s who he is. Offense is definitely legit though.

Reactions: Dominance

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Your assesment is as bad as Hughes's xGA60. (Which is far apart from Mete's).
In terms of not being able to break the cycle deep in their zone, they are very similar. xGA60 is not only impacted by the individual player, having a good group of forwards and a good goalie helps a lot.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
In terms of not being able to break the cycle deep in their zone, they are very similar. xGA60 is not only impacted by the individual player, having a good group of forwards and a good goalie helps a lot.

Mete is much better at breaking the cycle. Also, I think you haven't looked at Hughes's linemates.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
From what I saw of him in this recent mini series against the Habs, Hughes is a potent offensive driver but a liability defensively. We took him to the cleaners every night.

He's got plenty of time to improve for sure, but he isn't a #1D currently by any stretch. Unless he is and the Habs are an irresistible force after all, but we're not :)

Last edited:

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
He’s really bad at the defensive part of being a defenseman. Should probably get less ice time given his already ugly dash 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad