Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
This is such a typical 10 games into the season thread. He's been bad in his own end this year. Worse than last year. But 10 games is hardly enough to say whether the Hughes we saw last year or the one were seeing the first 10 games of this season is the real Hughes

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
he's certainly overrated on these forums at times, but he's one of the better up-and-coming young defenseman in the league.

i still think of him as a slightly better ghostisbehere. he's not really in the makar or heiskanen tier from my angle. his offense might be top notch, but his defensive skills are average to subpar.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He’s tied with two players who have multiple games in hand on him, and 9th among defensemen who have played multiple games this season in P/G.
I mean, if you are only in the top-10 in defensive scoring, doing so at 21 years old is pretty damn impressive.

It is certainly possible he falls off outside of the top-10, but I am not sure you can expect more from a defenseman at that age.

Reactions: Dominance

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Sophomore struggles in first few weeks of season with no camp and having to go from Chris Tanev to Tyler Myers as a defensive dumpster, I mean partner. Time to make a thread.

Funny to see all the people with axes to grind come out of the woodwork.

Just like Pettersson, he's slumping and still putting up points while looking significantly worse than last year. I'm not worried at all about what he's going to be and most of the claims in this thread about what he is moving forward are laughable.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
This thread is complete BS coordinated to dump on Hughes.

The truth his is advanced stats were incredible last season, and he is one of the best offensive producers for a defenceman. He's entering top 10 all time records in points for defenceman in their first 100 games. He's only in his sophomore season and is positioned to get better.
Advanced stats you said? It's pretty atrocious this season as well.

EtMIxWvVgAAqnQU

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Still very young with tons of potential. I wouldn't worry much yet but yeah he hasn't been too impressive so far this year.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I was grilled on my take for the past 2 seasons now but Hughes is never going to be a 2-way star. His offensive game is elite, especially playing on a team that has plenty of offensive weapons, his numbers should always be good. Defensively, however, he's terrible. You gotta take the good with the bad. He's still an elite defenseman and I'm sure every team in the league would happily take him and stick him with their best 2 way/ best defensive defenseman. Unfortunately for the Nucks, they let go of Tanev. I know he was getting old and probably not as effective defensively as he was before but this year, the Canucks defense has had more holes than a well-aged slice of swiss cheese.

Reactions: Makar27

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
lol this thread
He's literally being gameplanned around.
You don't get gameplanned around if you suck.
Is Pettersson being game planned around too? Is that why he sucks too now? Is the entire Vancouver roster being game planned around?
You realize Vancouver is probably 3-9 or 4-8 right now if they didn't get to play Ottawa 3 times right?

Last edited:

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I was grilled on my take for the past 2 seasons now but Hughes is never going to be a 2-way star. His offensive game is elite, especially playing on a team that has plenty of offensive weapons, his numbers should always be good. Defensively, however, he's terrible. You gotta take the good with the bad. He's still an elite defenseman and I'm sure every team in the league would happily take him and stick him with their best 2 way/ best defensive defenseman. Unfortunately for the Nucks, they let go of Tanev. I know he was getting old and probably not as effective defensively as he was before but this year, the Canucks defense has had more holes than a well-aged slice of swiss cheese.
Defensively he is absolutely one of the worst dmen in the entire league in his own zone without the puck. Way too weak to win puck battles or any board battles. Criminally out of position often and often caught standing still and head on a swivel not knowing what to do.

With the puck on his stick he is very good and obviously is one of the best generating offensive chances. That being said he is high risk as well which results in lots of dangerous turnovers. The plus minus stat does in fact have meaning. Take away the powerplay and he is a minus player and yes a lot of it is his fault. Without the powerplay this means when he is on the ice the other team scores more goals. Hughes lovers can ignore these facts all they want, but until he can make some huge strides in his defensive game, Hughes is actually a liability when on the ice even strength. Lucky for him he almost always plays with the top offensive players at forward.

He also seems like a selfish player looking for points. He has a below average shot at best and he has more shots on goal than any other player on the team except Boeser?? He should not be shooting that much. Especially on the powerplay. Petey, Brock and Bo should be taking almost all of the shots.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Is Pettersson being game planned around too? Is that why he sucks too now? Is the entire Vancouver roster being game planned around?
You realize Vancouver is probably 3-9 or 4-8 right now if they didn't get to play Ottawa 3 times right?

I mean, sure the top offensive players for Vancouver are being "game planned." That's what happens in pro sports.....That's why depth is so important....Vancouver has a terrible bottom six and an even worse blue line. A guy like Hughes who has some limitations to his game will struggle under sustained pressure. There's very little he can do to alleviate that on his own. You can attempt to force him to be more conservative but that won't help him or the team. He needs a reliable defensive partner that can cover for him a bit and even serve as a body guard of sorts. Saying all of this doesn't take away that he's a very good offensive catalyst. He can legit drive offense from his position.

Reactions: Dominance

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Overrated on HF because this board is so very quick to crown the young players after 1-2 seasons as best in the league while ignoring older vets who still put up good numbers.

Overrated in actual hockey? Heck no, every treat would want Hughes on their defense.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

Seriously. Reading the game day threads foe the league when vancouver is playing and all you see is how good boeser is, how good motte is, how good Hughes is, how good petterson is, how good hoglander is, how good horvat is, etc and then you watch the team get smoked.

Reactions: Frobbo

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What makes mores sense:
- Two star players are absolute garbage at the same time for no reason
- Two star players are being gameplanned around
lol

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I think the act of comparing Hughes and Makar is overrated and overdone. I'm just happy to have this guy on my team.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
What makes mores sense:
- Two star players are absolute garbage at the same time for no reason
- Two star players are being gameplanned around
lol
Maybe they're just not that good if they can be game planned around? Do you think teams game plan around McDavid and Draisaitl?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
lol this thread
He's literally being gameplanned around.
You don't get gameplanned around if you suck.

Not that simple.

It's your usage and ice time that determines how much you are part of the game plan.

Of course, there's some correlation between ice time and the quality of the player, but it's not always that obvious. Tyler Myers is also a huge part of the game plan of anyone facing the Canucks this year because he plays a lot despite having the skills of a palm tree.

Quinn Hughes plays a lot because he is awesome offensively, but he is extremely vulnerable defensively and has the physicality of Gary Bettman. It's a fact. All those minutes he plays offer juicy opportunities to exploit his weaknesses, just like they offer extra offensive opportunities for the Canucks.

So yeah, he doesn't suck. But he needs work. If he was more complete, though, teams would have to fish for weaknesses elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad