Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
He's not overrated, unless you don't rate a 21yo #1dman with elite offensive skills from the backend. Look at comparables for his offensive productivity as a rookie. Highest scoring rookie D seasons ever - NHL Records.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Petrys career is pretty interesting, its always funny when guys are put into a box when their game is being analyzed. He just gets better year over year.

As for Hughes, I couldn't help but think about how he would look next to Petry or Weber while I was watching last night's drumming of the Canucks.
He's +10 in 9 games, 4 goals 7 assists, plays anytime you need him, your nose is right, pretty satisfied with him and a great vet with that, just re-signed to a home discount contract.

Reactions: thefutures

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Proper title should be "Quinn Hughes, sophomore defenseman struggles".

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I mean, right here is your answer to the OP’s question.

You disagree that's fine.

Between Makar, Hughes, Dahlin and Heiskanen I think we have one of the best generations of defenseman about to dominate for years.

I don't really care if you think thats over-rating - It's funner to watch and enjoy these players instead of discuss who's over-rated blah blah.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
This is the reason why most people were trying to tell Canuck fans that Heiskanen and Makar >> Hughes but they legit had a hissy fit in trying to convince us Hughes was the best of the 3. I think a year later we can now tell Heiskanen is the best of the bunch and Makar is 2nd. Hughes and Dahlin both need to make big improvements to catch those 2 atm. The difference is, Dahlin is 6'3 200lbs.
Well I mean, people were making that judgment when he was having a phenomenal postseason, as relative to now, where the Canucks are playing very poorly

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not a great defender by any means, but very talented in terms of a forward moving Dman.
This guy'll get the Karlsson treatment throughout his career. 70 point seasons overshadowed by the fact he's not an above-average defender; and EK got okay at that later on but could never shake the stigma.

Same thing will happen with Hughes. Yeah, you don't want him on the ice in a 6 on 4 situation protecting a lead; but if you're down a goal or need a game winner, he'll be out there. Nothing wrong with that, guys who generally can be depended on for both... end up being elite stars like Hedman.

Reactions: Eegs

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think it's safe to say no he's not as he's above the level of a Justin Schultz or Shayne Gostisbehere and deserves to be in the group of the best young dmen in the game right now, though size and defensive play may hold him back from cracking the top of the list. And I wouldn't call it 'overrated' simply because a teams homer thinks he's better than his competition on other teams when he's probably not.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Very good defenseman, yes. Overrated by some, yes.
He's a fantastic defenseman with the puck on his stick, but he can's break the cycle if his life depended on it.
Defensively he looks a lot like Mete...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He's really good, tho I wish nucks fans would stop poking us every chance they get about picking zadina.

They finally got one over, so they have to make someone remember!
Just remind them of how great they'd look with Matthew Tkachuk and Nik Ehlers on the roster.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He's one of the best players in the league in my opinion, one of the top-five defenseman in the league too.
So you think he's ahead of those guys :
- Hedman
- Carlson
- Josi
- Jones
- Pietrangelo
- Makar
- Heiskanen
- Klingberg
- Hamilton
- Weber

Are we talking about fantasy ranking?
Overall as a defenseman, he's not there yet. He has trouble playing against heavier player in his own zone.
Very good player, but right now is more of a purely ofd.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I dunno. I hate the Canucks but I think that Hughes is sick. IMO we are heading into an era with one of the strongest crops of dmen

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Overrated? Only when he's being argued as better than Makar. He's still a stud. His defensive game will clean up.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Depends on how one is rating him I guess. If you're counting him among the best offensive dmen in the league as a 2nd year player you're doing it right. If you're expecting him to be a #1 dman that eats minutes and dominates every zone you're doing it wrong.

He is missing Tanev, who along with Hanifin still hasn't allowed an even strength goal this year. Myers just isn't good, Edler is old, and Benn & Hamonic are replacement level. I think hoping for a Kris Letang level #1 in a year or two should be realistic for QH.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He's a fantastic offensive defenseman. I wish hockey fandom in general would stop praising every 20-23 year old dman that puts up big numbers as Norris-caliber guys every 5 years. Due Doughty never deserved his Norris despite being fantastic. Karlsson was never elite or above-average defensively. Mike Green was a 4th forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad