Is Quinn Hughes overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This thread is complete BS coordinated to dump on Hughes.

The truth his is advanced stats were incredible last season, and he is one of the best offensive producers for a defenceman. He's entering top 10 all time records in points for defenceman in their first 100 games. He's only in his sophomore season and is positioned to get better.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes and no

It depends on what you are rating him on

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's a good ofd. He's struggling a bit this year which is normal for sophomore, combine that with no Tanev, new crap goalie, etc.

He'll be aright you gotta be patient. Don't give up on a talent like that. He'll make you pay.

It's not even about that. Hughes depends on team structure to be successful. He'll touch a few things up as time goes by but this is who he is.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not even about that. Hughes depends in team structure to be successful. He'll touch a few things up as time goes by but this is who he is.
Offensively dynamic. Defence is a work in progress. That's where he is behind a guy like Heiskenen. Of the top young Dmen under 23, Chabot, Provorov, Werenski, Makar, Heiksenen, Dahlin, he's probably the one who needs to improve his defence the most. Also the smallest of the group, so he has to depend on positioning and stick work vs strength.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Every Van-MTL games they kept saying how good he was while showing clips of him getting blown by or falling down. :DD

Montreal certainly has his number. -8 against Montreal and +2 against everybody else. Habs fans must really think he's garbage. I swear he's not as bad as he plays against Montreal.

Reactions: bh53

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I think he's -8 against Montréal..

Here are the leaders

• Cale Makar 11
  • Jeff Petry 11
  • John Carlson 11
  • Quinn Hughes 11
Petry is yet to play Ottawa :sarcasm:

Petrys career is pretty interesting, its always funny when guys are put into a box when their game is being analyzed. He just gets better year over year.

As for Hughes, I couldn't help but think about how he would look next to Petry or Weber while I was watching last night's drumming of the Canucks.

Reactions: HabsDood

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yes and no
It depends on what you are rating him on
Nucks lost a good goalie and a pretty good Dman. Hughes is looking worse this season because he lost a lot of what made him focus on his game last year.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Depends on how you rate him. If you think he's a top 5 or top 10 offensive defensemen in the league? He's not overrated.

If you think he's a top 5, or even top 10 defensemen in the league? Then yeah, he's hella overrated.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's overrated in the same way a ton of young players are. He'll probably be pretty great, but there will be growing pains.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Easier to teach defence than offence. He’s gotten much better at calculating when to pinch, doesn’t gamble as often as he did when he broke into the league, has trouble defending big fast players when they’re driving to the net, has excellent stick work and awareness. Needs a steady partner who understands his strengths/weaknesses.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This is the reason why most people were trying to tell Canuck fans that Heiskanen and Makar >> Hughes but they legit had a hissy fit in trying to convince us Hughes was the best of the 3. I think a year later we can now tell Heiskanen is the best of the bunch and Makar is 2nd. Hughes and Dahlin both need to make big improvements to catch those 2 atm. The difference is, Dahlin is 6'3 200lbs.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
What needs to be said has been said... he's a top notch offensive defenceman but struggles in his own end. He's 21 and his defence will improve but his size will limit him somewhat. Mete has been in the league a couple years more and still struggles against bigger forwards along the boards.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
This is the reason why most people were trying to tell Canuck fans that Heiskanen and Makar >> Hughes but they legit had a hissy fit in trying to convince us Hughes was the best of the 3. I think a year later we can now tell Heiskanen is the best of the bunch and Makar is 2nd. Hughes and Dahlin both need to make big improvements to catch those 2 atm. The difference is, Dahlin is 6'3 200lbs.

Hughes has excellent stick work and in a couple more years I think we will be watching a defender as competent as Duncan Keith.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Yes he is, just like every other productive young defenseman ever.

However, being overrated and being bad are not the same thing, which is a distinction that this board tends to miss often.

Not really. I don't think Heiskanen is overrated at all. He is really good at offense and defense.

But you are right being overrated and bad are not the same thing. Q. Hughes is really good at offense and needs to work on his defensive game. But there isn't a team in the NHL who wouldn't make an offer if he was available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad