Is NHL strictly a men's league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is the NFL only a men’s only league? Men are bigger, stronger, faster. Maybe curling could be mixed?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
At 5'11, 172 lbs, Hilary Knight is bigger and stronger than several NHL players, such as Johnny Gaudreau. There are absolutely women that can physically handle the NHL. They just need to also possess the requisite skill and desire to play in the NHL. One will come along eventually.

Last edited:

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
Just look at the physical advantages men have.

Height. Average height(usa) for men is 5'9. For women it's 5'4.
Speed. The women's world record in the 100m was set in 1988 @10.49, how many men ran at least that time in 2023 alone.
Strength. Olympic weight lifting records @81kg(178lbs) level, snatch + clean and jerk total. Men 378kg(833lb), women 284kg(626lb). Qualifying totals needed in Canada 2024, men @55kg, 203kg, women @87kg+ 207kg

Reactions: Fatass

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I'm too lazy to check but I'm going to guess that it isn't. Specifically needing to disallow female players does not sound like an idea that would have even occurred to the group writing the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
At 5'11, 172 lbs, Hilary Knight is bigger and stronger than several NHL players, such as Johnny Gaudreau. There are absolutely women that can physically handle the NHL. They just need to also possess the requisite skill to force and desire to play in the NHL. One will come along eventually.
Women carry weight differently too. There is also the locker room issue. Which is an issue. Just remember the best women Tennis players can't beat average men.

Reactions: VaporTrail

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
At 5'11, 172 lbs, Hilary Knight is bigger and stronger than several NHL players, such as Johnny Gaudreau. There are absolutely women that can physically handle the NHL. They just need to also possess the requisite skill to force and desire to play in the NHL. One will come along eventually.

Height and weight isn't a 1:1 correlation between men and women (it isn't even between same sex but it's closer at least). Using your example, a woman that's 5'11, 172 lbs is generally not as strong physically as a man that's the same size/weight. You're also taking an example way to the end of an extreme in a player of Johnny Gaudreau's size. The reality is that even if you're a guy of that size, chances are against you in this league. I don't see it personally. I don't think we'll see a woman compete in the NHL but I guess I'll never know considering there's no way it'll happen in my lifetime.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
The answer is simply “no”. Nothing stopping a team from signing and playing a woman.

But the Canadians Olympic Women’s Team use to play against no-name 15 year old boys (and the boy teams would have to play the women's rules reducing hits). And they would usually lose.

While there's been more push to have women's leagues, resulting in higher quality players from when that was the norm, it's still relatively the same.

Remember when Wickenheiser and Phaneuf's 15 year old brother almost fought? lol

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Women carry weight differently too. There is also the locker room issue. Which is an issue. Just remember the best women Tennis players can't beat average men.

A one-on-one sport is virtually impossible for a woman to break into, but there have been plenty of "perimeter" players that have made careers avoiding physicality in the NHL. It's one of the coolest things about hockey actually, that there's different styles of player that can make it.

Reactions: CloudYeller

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
The NHL is very much trying to promote diversity.

If there was a woman good enough to play, she would be doing so.

As posted earlier, it would take an Amazon like woman to be able to do so.

1721133964543.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad