Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] G Yaroslav Askarov signs extension with San Jose (2 years, $2M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Saros is still like a top-5 goalie in the NHL, and he's that right now when Nashville is clearly trying to make a push.

That's like saying "haha you are a loser for choosing Barkov now instead of Bedard"

That's not even in the same stratosphere, lmao. A goalie on a mediocre roster does nothing (saw it first hand with Schneider/NJ) and Preds get better value for a sign and traded Saros than they got Askarov after he asked out, but sure.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm glad everyone's tune is turning on him. Once he did well in the Meier trade (everyone who thinks they know the sport obviously thought the Devils dog walked that trade but they really didn't), I knew he was gonna do well for you guys.
I've been high on his moves ever since the Meier trade, he liquidated one of the worst roster situations I've ever seen and turned it into an elite prospect pool

All we're missing is a blue chip D prospect, but other than that we have a strong core of youth at every position, now it's time to start the hard part, but the Sharks were in such a bad position that even the easy part was hard

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That's not even in the same stratosphere, lmao. A goalie on a mediocre roster does nothing (saw it first hand with Schneider/NJ) and Preds get better value for a sign and traded Saros than they got Askarov after he asked out, but sure.
Do they, after you saw what Ullmark (the reigning Vezina winner) and Markström trades cost teams this summer?

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Lol, no he's not:laugh:

Had a below average regular season and was the worst goalie in a playoff series that included Casey DeSmith and Arthur Silovs. He's already on the down swing

Do they, after you saw what Ullmark (the reigning Vezina winner) and Markström trades cost teams this summer?

Swayman was Boston's starter first off and what are you talking about the Markstrom deal? The Flames did fine in that trade. A signed Saros could've gotten them Necas from Carolina or someone even better

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I've been high on his moves ever since the Meier trade, he liquidated one of the worst roster situations I've ever seen and turned it into an elite prospect pool

All we're missing is a blue chip D prospect, but other than that we have a strong core of youth at every position, now it's time to start the hard part, but the Sharks were in such a bad position that even the easy part was hard

Very Devils-ish esque rebuild from you guys, glad we have some sort of stake in your future success. Always had a soft spot for SJ lol

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm glad everyone's tune is turning on him. Once he did well in the Meier trade (everyone who thinks they know the sport obviously thought the Devils dog walked that trade but they really didn't), I knew he was gonna do well for you guys.
Grier is certainly not perfect, but I really feel like people are misunderstanding his path. The roster he inherited was both terrible and loaded with virtually unmovable contracts. He had one half-way decent prospect in his entire system (Eklund). He had to and still has to take some short-term L's (like Burns, Ceci) for long-term gain (clearing cap, having veteran leaders). He's established himself as a player's GM in that he moved Burns, Karlsson, and Hertl when they wanted to be moved even though he didn't have to. It's fair to say that if we hadn't gotten lucky and landed Celebrini the franchise would look worse, but the amount of talent and cap flexibility Grier has achieved in two years is mind-bending. People saying the Sharks will be bad next year as a gotcha is just funny, because we're supposed to be. We still need one more top pick before climbing out of the basement.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Had a below average regular season and was the worst goalie in a playoff series that included Casey DeSmith and Arthur Silovs. He's already on the down swing

Swayman was Boston's starter first off and what are you talking about the Markstrom deal? The Flames did fine in that trade. A signed Saros could've gotten them Necas from Carolina or someone even better

How does Necas move the needle for Nashville more than Saros?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Grier is certainly not perfect, but I really feel like people are misunderstanding his path. The roster he inherited was both terrible and loaded with virtually unmovable contracts. He had one half-way decent prospect in his entire system (Eklund). He had to and still has to take some short-term L's (like Burns, Ceci) for long-term gain (clearing cap, having veteran leaders). He's established himself as a player's GM in that he moved Burns, Karlsson, and Hertl when they wanted to be moved even though he didn't have to. It's fair to say that if we hadn't gotten lucky and landed Celebrini the franchise would look worse, but the amount of talent and cap flexibility Grier has achieved in two years is mind-bending. People saying the Sharks will be bad next year as a gotcha is just funny, because we're supposed to be. We still need one more top pick before climbing out of the basement.
The Sharks are moving in a good direction. I just feel like some other GM could've done a better job extracting value out of Hertl and EK65, and winning the lottery is luck more than anything else. I do like this trade for them.

Askarov steps in and they get a 60-65 point young forward with wing/center flexibility? Lmao what?
Can we stop for a moment, and come to the realization that Askarov is anything but a sure thing at this point? He is the goalie prospect with the most potential, but he has 3 NHL games under his belt. A team in the position that Nashville is in, can't take that chance. Saros is a top-5ish NHL goalie as it stands.

You are acting like Askarov is winning the Vezina next season with the Sharks.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Can we stop for a moment, and come to the realization that Askarov is anything but a sure thing at this point? He is the goalie prospect with the most potential, but he has 3 NHL games under his belt. A team in the position that Nashville is in, can't take that chance. Saros is a top-5ish NHL goalie as it stands.

Yeah because Saros is the difference between them beating the Stars/Avs round 1 which who will be their opponent if they get top 3 in the Central over the course of that contract. That team couldn't score enough of Arthur Silovs to win a playoff series but yeah they'll goaltend their way through the West is surely gonna do wonders for Nashville. This was the same shit on the Saros extension thread and people saying that Nashville needed to re-sign Saros as a bridge to Askarov lmao

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
he Sharks are moving in a good direction. I just feel like some other GM could've done a better job extracting value out of Hertl and EK65, and winning the lottery is luck more than anything else. I do like this trade for them.
Both are injury prone guys on huge contracts in their thirties with full control of where they would go. ALL of these are straight facts everyone seems to be neglecting.

Askarov is as much a sure thing to be an NHL star as any other goalie not in the NHL. There is no other goalie outside of the NHL that has a greater chance to be a star. Doesn't mean he'll become one, just means the expectations are greater for him than anyone else save maybe Wallstedt.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah because Saros is the difference between them beating the Stars/Avs round 1 which who will be their opponent if they get top 3 in the Central over the course of that contract. That team couldn't score enough of Arthur Silovs to win a playoff series but yeah they'll goaltend their way through the West is surely gonna do wonders for Nashville. This was the same shit on the Saros extension thread and people saying that Nashville needed to re-sign Saros as a bridge to Askarov lmao
Which is why we brought in Stamkos and Marchessaiult for our second line.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I mean Nashville did beef up their offence, didn't they?

I'm not here to discuss what their roster construction or their odds at being cup contenders is. What I'm saying is that they think they are one, you can see that from their moves this summer.

I just find it hilarious, that you are writing of a top-4 goalie in the last 5 seasons after one bad year (when we have constant proof that even elite goalies have the odd bad year and bounce back), while expecting that this goalie prospect, as great as he is, should be able to step in right away and tend their way to the Cup. If you think that, good for you. An NHL GM can't make that bet, that would be asinine.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean Nashville did beef up their offence, didn't they?

I'm not here to discuss what their roster construction or their odds at being cup contenders is. What I'm saying is that they think they are one, you can see that from their moves this summer.

I just find it hilarious, that you are writing of a top-4 goalie in the last 5 seasons after one bad year (when we have constant proof that even elite goalies have the odd bad year and bounce back), while expecting that this goalie prospect, as great as he is, should be able to step in right away and tend their way to the Cup. If you think that, good for you. An NHL GM can't make that bet, that would be asinine.

And if that was the case, why not trade Saros to a legit contender who'll value him more and probably give you elite pieces while you reconstruct your roster into a better Cup contender? And what are we doing here? Every move is aimed towards building a Cup winner, you're not just building for a team to make the playoffs, lmao. Nashville would get smoked by every elite/good team in the West in a playoff series currently constructed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad