Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Id say SJS have the better blue chip prospects in Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Dickinson, Askarov

but obviously building around Bedard and Levshunov is pretty damn good.... is Nazar going to be a regular NHLer this season? Hawks seem to have a full roster already
Unknown on Nazar. I'd think he's going to have to have a really terrible camp to not make the team. Hawks filled all roster holes except 2C so it would be surprising if he didn't make it.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Do the Sharks have a really good goalie coach and goalie development system in place?
It's being rebuilt. We have a well-regarded coach and Ryan Miller on staff. Nabokov (Nabby) formerly was the coach but he's kind of around for development but not directly involved as much, I don't think.

I wouldn't say it's a sure thing that we are a great environment to develop Askarov.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Warren Strelow was a fantastic goalie coach. Sometimes a change of scenery is needed to wake complacent prospects regardless of coaching. Getting traded is like being fired or demoted. Some people say "woe is me" and some people go "oh yeah???? Im going to make you regret this" and work harder.
Yeah, i mentioned above I think he's the second best goalie coach ever behind Allaire. In terms of the mindset? That's as plausible a theory as any.

Reactions: 67 others and Fig

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I still think Askarov might do a year with the Barracuda but both Blackwood and Vanecek are UFAs at the end of the season and aren't the most durable of goalies recently so the pathway to the NHL is very clear.
He needs to be playing every day, not sitting on the bench as a back up. He has some things he really needs to work on from the fundamentals side yet, so having him just sitting there isn't going to do him much good.

Keep in mind he got pulled in the playoffs the last 2 seasons in Milwaukee because he wasn't playing that well. That alone gives you a pretty good indication that against decent competition he still needs some work.

He's a fun player to watch, but without rounding off those rough edges first he could end up being a guy that is jut frustrating to watch night in and night out.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
It's being rebuilt. We have a well-regarded coach and Ryan Miller on staff. Nabokov (Nabby) formerly was the coach but he's kind of around for development but not directly involved as much, I don't think.

I wouldn't say it's a sure thing that we are a great environment to develop Askarov.
Askarov struggles with the mental side of the game. He has all the skills and size to be a phenomenal NHL goalie. If a game starts going bad though he falls apart pretty quick and struggles to recover for that game and the next even. Hopefully they can get his noodle up to match his physical abilities.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
He needs to be playing every day, not sitting on the bench as a back up. He has some things he really needs to work on from the fundamentals side yet, so having him just sitting there isn't going to do him much good.

Keep in mind he got pulled in the playoffs the last 2 seasons in Milwaukee because he wasn't playing that well. That alone gives you a pretty good indication that against decent competition he still needs some work.

He's a fun player to watch, but without rounding off those rough edges first he could end up being a guy that is jut frustrating to watch night in and night out.

I'm aware of all that. I've been a fan of his for awhile.

I was saying that I think he was going to be the Barracuda starter and get a start here and there with the Sharks because those two have been injury prone.

He's still a work in progress but has been cooking perfectly to fit the Sharks projected timeline to be competitive again.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
But but but! We were told he wasn’t blocked from the NHL in Nashville!!!!
He wasn't, he just needed to beat out Wedgewood, and if he couldn't do that then he wasn't nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Truth is Nashville brought in Mitch Korn to work with him this season in Milwaukee to smooth out some of the issues he has. While Wedgewood had a 2 year deal it wouldn't have shocked me at all that the plan was to have Askarov in Milwaukee this season with Wedgewood as a backup, and the following season those two would flop.

The funny thing is, he will probably end up in the exact same position 2 -3 years from now, the only difference is he won't need to beat out Saros to get a starting job.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Who cares about Blackwood and frickin Vanacek.

Just give Askarov NHL experience and dump one of the other in the AHK. Nobody will claim them anyways.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Who cares about Blackwood and frickin Vanacek.

Just give Askarov NHL experience and dump one of the others.
From a development standpoint I think that wouldn't be the best of ideas. He's got some skill and talent to work from, but even in the AHL playoffs he was getting lit up. I think the NHL has just slightly better players than that.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Fired up! That's a lot to give up. I figured BPA available with San Jose's top 5 pick (Hagens, Martone, or Schaefer please), long-term RHD solution with Vegas' pick. Hopefully with some deadline moves we can recoup that pick. Edstrom seemed like a long-term middle six center to play behind/fill in for Celebrini/Smith, but that is a luxury. A starting goalie is not. There's risk. Askarov has some warts. He may bust, but aside from Swayman (25), Oettinger (25), and maybe Wallstedt, I don't think there is a goalie who better fits San Jose's timeline.

The reward is worth it though. Aside from a #1 D this is as good an option to solves SJ's second biggest need, a game-stealing starting goaltender. I hope we take one of the many excellent goalies available next year, but at 22, Askarov's probably still two years from being SJ's starter. At 17 year old drafted 10 months from now, would be what 7-8 years away, if they get it right.

Hopefully his season looks something like this:
AHL: 27 starts, 18 Backups
NHL: 15 starts, 20 Backups

Gets him paid closer to $500k in San Jose, this year. Signs a multi-year deal that pays mill $1.8-$3.5M per year for 2-4 years after, where he platoons with Blackwood or someone else, than gets his 6-8 year deal after that. Perfectly aligns with our young core.

Reactions: vortexy

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
He wasn't, he just needed to beat out Wedgewood, and if he couldn't do that then he wasn't nearly as good as he thinks he is.

Truth is Nashville brought in Mitch Korn to work with him this season in Milwaukee to smooth out some of the issues he has. While Wedgewood had a 2 year deal it wouldn't have shocked me at all that the plan was to have Askarov in Milwaukee this season with Wedgewood as a backup, and the following season those two would flop.

The funny thing is, he will probably end up in the exact same position 2 -3 years from now, the only difference is he won't need to beat out Saros to get a starting job.
By all reports he was essentially blocked in Nashville. He spent want to report to the AHL for Nashville but he’s fine with it for San Jose, why is that? Because he sees a bath to a starting position in San Jose without roadblocks.

Either Grier is really good talker or Trotz told him he wasn’t getting a chance at the NHL this season

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad