Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Its well known trotz was heavily influencing decisions in the last months of poile’s tenure.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Trotz negotiating that deal. He probably had input on the decision to let Jrannot go (ie, I am sure Poile made sure Trotz was ok trading Jeannot) but Poile made that deal.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Trotz negotiating that deal. He probably had input on the decision to let Jrannot go (ie, I am sure Poile made sure Trotz was ok trading Jeannot) but Poile made that deal.
And you know this for sure how…

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Have they announced this? His entire threat to go to the KHL was that he wouldn’t report to the AHL??

My guess is he will as well. It makes sense anyway. I’d also guess his threat was just to get him into a situation where he’d have a better opportunity sooner. Like I said though, they better be careful. Not only is he a wild card with his attitude, we’ve seen too many young goalies get ruined by letting them play in the league prior to being ready.
Grier said he wouldn’t have an issue starting the AHL. The issue was obviously the Saros contract which conceivably shut him out as starter for the next 8 years. The AHL non-reporting wasn’t about him not wanting to play in the AHL, it was about him wanting a trade out of an organization whose vision of his future didn’t align with his own.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Damn that's a pretty good return for Nashville. Burke and Chrona seem like mostly nothing pieces, so it's basically Edstrom and a 1st for Askarov and a 3rd.

Good deal for both sides, the Sharks gave up assets they could afford to give up and the Predators got good value for a guy who wanted out.
Fat finger mistake.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
And you know this for sure how…
If I'm having to pick between 1) the active GM worked a deal with the blessing of the incoming GM, or 2) the incoming GM actually did the deal before he was acting as GM, and neither is known "for sure," the former is much more plausible than the latter. You don't know for sure Trotz worked the deal just because it was "well-known" that he was playing an active role in decision-making. Hell, scouts play an active role in decision-making, too, but the GM still takes the blame or gets the credit.

Reactions: Viqsi

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not really. He played a few years behind Dunham under Mitch Korn and Barry Trotz before he was ready to be what he became.
Maybe they gave him the space he needed to succeed, but I don't buy anyone in Nashville teaching Vokoun his style.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
No, this is not the same as Hertl for Askarov straight up. It's Hertl + retaining for Askarov.

Teams typically don't spend very high draft capital on goalies. Serious question, had Askarov been in this 2024 draft, where would you have him drafted at? The $8.325M the Sharks retained on Hertl is estimated to be valued as 23OA pick by PuckPedia and should not be overlooked. So the Sharks essentially spent 32OA pick, 23OA pick, and roughly 20OA pick. How high would those late three 1st rounders garner if combined to trade up? Top 3? (That's the value I got from draft pick value calculator, 3OA)

Would you pick Askarov 3OA in the draft if he's in the draft given his current talent/growth?

Does it sound like an overpayment once it's laid out like that?

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
What's up with Panthers fans ripping on Grier lately:huh:

When he was hired the Sharks were probably the worst looking organization in the league...now they have the best prospect pool and a ton of cap space. He can do whatever he wants.
He's had a tough situation he entered he's navigating it well since he joined in 2022

I am hoping he has a long leash to show the fruition of his labor on the team.

This isn't a 3 or 4 year plan. This is a 6 year let's see where we are at in 2028

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
No, this is not the same as Hertl for Askarov straight up. It's Hertl + retaining for Askarov.

Teams typically don't spend very high draft capital on goalies. Serious question, had Askarov been in this 2024 draft, where would you have him drafted at? The $8.325M the Sharks retained on Hertl is estimated to be valued as 23OA pick by PuckPedia and should not be overlooked. So the Sharks essentially spent 32OA pick, 23OA pick, and roughly 20OA pick. How high would those late three 1st rounders garner if combined to trade up? Top 3? (That's the value I got from draft pick value calculator, 3OA)

Would you pick Askarov 3OA in the draft if he's in the draft given his current talent/growth?

You are double counting the retention. That is how they got the 2 picks in the first place.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

There is literally no real-world scenario in which any NHL team gives up a #3 overall for three picks in the 20s. None. Literally no picks that high have ever been knowingly traded ("knowingly" == "it was known to be top-3 at the time of the trade") in a decade or more - possibly in the entire cap era, altho I'd have to double-check that.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
You are double counting the retention. That is how they got the 2 picks in the first place.

No, I was careful on that front because it's easy to get confused and overlooked. The Sharks still have the retention on the book so they still take that hit. Think of it like the Sharks spent $8.3M cash, they're still down on $8.3M cash. Now if Nashville somehow give the Sharks $8.3M cash or essentially eats that retention, then it would be Hertl for Askarov straight up.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There is literally no real-world scenario in which any NHL team gives up a #3 overall for three picks in the 20s. None. Literally no picks that high have ever been knowingly traded ("knowingly" == "it was known to be top-3 at the time of the trade") in a decade or more - possibly in the entire cap era, altho I'd have to double-check that.
The chart says so though... :eyeroll:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
No, I was careful on that front because it's easy to get confused and overlooked. The Sharks still have the retention on the book so they still take that hit. Think of it like the Sharks spent $8.3M cash, they're still down on $8.3M cash. Now if Nashville somehow give the Sharks $8.3M cash or essentially eats that retention, then it would be Hertl for Askarov straight up.
You absolutely double counted the retention

The chart says so though... :eyeroll:
These charts work really well in the NFL where teams are drafting 22 year olds

In the NHL they're basically wishcasting

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

The Sharks retained on Hertl so that they could get the return they did in the trade. Hertl at an AAV over 8 mil to age 36 was not going to return a recent late 1st pick and future 1st. The value of the retention is not additive, it was the Sharks converting cap space and a retention slot into a better return.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
The Sharks retained on Hertl so that they could get the return they did in the trade. Hertl at an AAV over 8 mil to age 36 was not going to return a recent late 1st pick and future 1st. The value of the retention is not additive, it was the Sharks converting cap space and a retention slot into a better return.

After giving further thoughts, I incorrectly thinking it's Askarov for essentially 3 1st's. But I correctly pointed out it's essentially Hertl + retention (or 23OA) for Askarov.

A 32OA + roughly 20OA would equate to something like 8-10OA pick. Had Askarov been in this last draft, would you have picked Askarov with your 8-10th overall pick? I'm genuinely curious.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
After giving further thoughts, I incorrectly thinking it's Askarov for essentially 3 1st's. But I correctly pointed out it's essentially Hertl + retention (or 23OA) for Askarov.

A 32OA + roughly 20OA would equate to something like 8-10OA pick. Had Askarov been in this last draft, would you have picked Askarov with your 8-10th overall pick? I'm genuinely curious.
I think a lot of Sharks fans are perfectly content trading a retained Hertl for Askarov. Hertl wanted out to compete and we're still years away and he had a full NMC at the time of the deal. Getting someone like Askarov out of a contract like that is more than anyone would honestly expect to get. However, if you're going to ask the redraft question of Askarov, you ought to do the same for Edstrom because it's far from a guarantee that he'd go at 32 in this past draft. I could have seen New Jersey take Askarov at 10 if he was in this draft with the same pre-draft pedigree that he had going into his.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
I think a lot of Sharks fans are perfectly content trading a retained Hertl for Askarov. Hertl wanted out to compete and we're still years away and he had a full NMC at the time of the deal. Getting someone like Askarov out of a contract like that is more than anyone would honestly expect to get. However, if you're going to ask the redraft question of Askarov, you ought to do the same for Edstrom because it's far from a guarantee that he'd go at 32 in this past draft. I could have seen New Jersey take Askarov at 10 if he was in this draft with the same pre-draft pedigree that he had going into his.

This is what I was looking for. If a team would be picking Askarov with the 10th overall pick, then I'm happy for the Sharks for being able to obtain him for roughly equivalent of a 10th overall pick, because they haven't had a great goalie since Nabby and they have had so many failure in getting one.

I'm perfectly contented that Hertl was traded. I was rooting for it. Getting any value for Hertl is the only way to go. I'm just trying to gauge this trade because spending a lot of capital for goalies is difficult to assess because most teams don't.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Shark Fans:

Any chance that "Big Time" can turn into a NHL backup or is he just AHL fodder (which we need anyways)?
I don't think he's just AHL fodder but it's hard to say if he's an NHL backup. I feel like a lot of goalies around can be a solid enough backup on the right team but you're not missing much if you never give him that opportunity either.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A 32OA + roughly 20OA would equate to something like 8-10OA pick.
Highly dependent on the draft and in most cases extremely unlikely. Folks really underestimate the prices GMs demand for lottery picks, especially if they're not getting one back.

For the record, in his own draft year Askarov was drafted 11th overall.

Reactions: dmcccdmn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad