Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Why are you hating on Askarov? Your posts come across as if he did you wrong or something.
Easy to do when you have Saros blocking young potential talent. Easy to make Askarov look bad when you’re still set for goaltending for the next 6+ years

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It’s like being broken up with and then bragging to all your friends “she wasn’t even that hot anyways”.
Well, again… to be fair, that girlfriend refused to go on any dates until her demands were met. Can’t blame the ex boyfriend being a bit bitter

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just the talent alone with the lateral movement and reflexes makes Askarov more close to Shesterkin how do you even compare him with Samsonov?.When he gets more experience and not chase the puck to much and stay in the crease the combination with his size and movement will be the success.

Samsonov is more like a movable refrigerator just like Adin Hill who needs a really good defence structure to success.

Samsonov was picked 1st round, Askarov 1st round, Igor 4th round, Ivanov 4th round...

Ivanov is already as good as Askarov being 2 years younger.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Well, again… to be fair, that girlfriend refused to go on any dates until her demands were met. Can’t blame the ex boyfriend being a bit bitter
Can’t blame the girlfriend for exploring other avenues when the boyfriend wasn’t willing to give her a shot either. Boyfriend played hard to get and it backfired

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Really disappointing. I had hopes we could make both work, that cool heads on both sides could see he'd get his shot, there was a path (albeit not an "easy" one), and that him and Saros would push and bring out the best in each other.

Fine with the return and think Trotz probably did better than expected considering the ultimate circumstances at the end. I think the org could have handled this better at many points, but can't blame him for doing what he needed to in securing the immediate tending future, even at the expense of the further reaching long-term.

Hope Yaro makes the best of his shot. Also hope we light his ass up every meeting from now til his retirement.

Oh, and f*** you Dan Milstein.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Really disappointing. I had hopes we could make both work, that cool heads on both sides could see he'd get his shot, there was a path (albeit not an "easy" one), and that him and Saros would push and bring out the best in each other.

Fine with the return and think Trotz probably did better than expected considering the ultimate circumstances at the end. I think the org could have handled this better at many points, but can't blame him for doing what he needed to in securing the immediate tending future, even at the expense of the further reaching long-term.

Hope Yaro makes the best of his shot. Also hope we light his ass up every meeting from now til his retirement.

Oh, and f*** you Dan Milstein.
Love it for Askarov, but it’s hilarious to see GM Grier continually pay above market value for players. The guy is just a terrible GM

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well, again… to be fair, that girlfriend refused to go on any dates until her demands were met. Can’t blame the ex boyfriend being …
Well, girlfriend wanted a commitment. Boy wasn’t ready to leave his other girlfriend.

Love it for Askarov, but it’s hilarious to see GM Grier continually pay above market value for players. The guy is just a terrible GM
Huh?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Care to share a few examples? One could argue the Sharks have the top prospect pool in the league right now and he's been GM 2 years...long way to go still but he's been pretty great given where the team was when he took over.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I like this deal from both sides, but props to Grier for assembling elite talent at all positions in a short period of time.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Care to share a few examples? One could argue the Sharks have the top prospect pool in the league right now and he's been GM 2 years...long way to go still but he's been pretty great given where the team was when he took over.
Ceci, a player on the outs due to cap situation, overpays

Askarov a play refusing the report to the AHL, overpays (shouldn’t have needed the 1st)

Time will tell if his prospect pool pays off or not.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Ceci, a player on the outs due to cap situation, overpays

Askarov a play refusing the report to the AHL, overpays (shouldn’t have needed the 1st)

Time will tell if his prospect pool pays off or not.

So your examples are his two most recent deals?

What do you think would be market price for a goaltending prospect universally regarded as top 3? What comp would you use for that?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If one of the Oilers misses in the shootout against him to lose the game and he doesnt start benching the net, i'm going to be annoyed.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

What do you think would be market price for a goaltending prospect universally regarded as top 3? What comp would you use for that?
He paid the premium top 3 prospect price, they didn’t pay the “goalie is refusing to report” price.

It’s a huge pickup for San Jose but it’s also a huge price given the situation

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Some people dont understand that just because a player refuses to report, that the team they're employed by doesnt have to just give in to cheap offers.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
He paid the premium top 3 prospect price, they didn’t pay the “goalie is refusing to report” price.

It’s a huge pickup for San Jose but it’s also a huge price given the situation
That's fair, but I wouldn't say Grier regularly overpays. Grier turned Meier and an albatross in Karlsson (while only retaining 6M of 46M left) into Musty, Dickinson, Mukh, Zetterlund, and Granlund (maybe will get a 2nd or 3rd at the TDL this year?). Also, while he may have paid a premium for Askarov, he also just turned Hertl's negative value contract into a top-3 goaltening prospect in hockey and potential for a top end starter pending development. Burns was just a cap dump for a couple of 3rd round picks and doing a veteran on a terrible contract a solid.

I don't really put much weight into some overpayments in minor trades (3rd for Kunin, for example) because he also made some great minor trades to balance it out (getting a 2nd to take on Walman, for example). He's doing just fine imo.

Reactions: weastern bias

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
That's fair, but I wouldn't say Grier regularly overpays. Grier turned Meier and an albatross in Karlsson (while only retaining 6M of 46M left) into Musty, Dickinson, Mukh, Zetterlund, and Granlund (maybe will get a 2nd or 3rd at the TDL this year?). Also, while he may have paid a premium for Askarov, he also just turned Hertl's negative value contract into a top-3 goaltening prospect in hockey and potential for a top end starter pending development. Burns was just a cap dump for a couple of 3rd round picks and doing a veteran on a terrible contract a solid.

I don't really put much weight into some overpayments in minor trades (3rd for Kunin, for example) because he also made some great minor trades to balance it out (getting a 2nd to take on Walman, for example). He's doing just fine imo.
Karlsson yes, the Meier trade I remember people being split on if it was good or bad. The narrative could of course swing if these prospects start to hit.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Karlsson yes, the Meier trade I remember people being split on if it was good or bad. The narrative could of course swing if these prospects start to hit.
Yeah, but I'd argue that this is how it always goes. At first the team trading the best asset in the deal gets skewered, but as prospects develop, the trade narrative flips. Zetterlund looking like a solid middle-6 winger who scored 24 goals in his first full season is a great start.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, but I'd argue that this is how it always goes. At first the team trading the best asset in the deal gets skewered, but as prospects develop, the trade narrative flips. Zetterlund looking like a solid middle-6 winger who scored 20+ goals in his first full season is a great start.
I’ll gladly eat some crow if he can pull San Jose out of the rebuild and doesn’t turn it into another Buffalo perpetual retool/rebuild scenario

Reactions: DG93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad