Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
That's fair, but I wouldn't say Grier regularly overpays.

Is it though?

We know there was a market for him and Trotz didn't have to trade him right now. How often do talented young goaltenders become available?

The price Grier paid was one I easily accepted. The only way I see it becoming an overpay is if that Vegas 1st becomes a top 10 pick but at that point it's hindsight. Right now you have to value it as a late 1st.

Reactions: DG93

Grinner

May 31, 2022
SJ still needs defense and wingers. They’ll still be in the tank for 2-3 more years getting those.
Yes a top line RW and RD is still a need.

Ceci, a player on the outs due to cap situation, overpays

Askarov a play refusing the report to the AHL, overpays (shouldn’t have needed the 1st)

Time will tell if his prospect pool pays off or not.
That's true of any prospect pool

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Well, girlfriend wanted a commitment. Boy wasn’t ready to leave his other girlfriend.

Huh?
Boyfriend wanted to take it slow, especially after girlfriend …. Uhhhh…regressed all season an got benched in the playoffs (I got nothing) … but girlfriend wanted to get married too quick. In the meantime boyfriend wanted to marry someone else.

Sparkleton

Nov 9, 2021
Is it though?

We know there was a market for him and Trotz didn't have to trade him right now. How often do talented young goaltenders become available?

The price Grier paid was one I easily accepted. The only way I see it becoming an overpay is if that Vegas 1st becomes a top 10 pick but at that point it's hindsight. Right now you have to value it as a late 1st.

So many people have this hilarious fake business fantasy where a player asset is distressed and they can swoop in and get that still great player for peanuts when time and time again it is shown the value is slightly devalued at most.

Rutger literally just got traded for Yaeger and while I value Rutger slightly higher it wasn’t a huge steal after months of bad headlines when Rutger could literally not sign in 2 seasons and the Jets would get nothing. It was fair.

Askarov was 11th overall and just got a 32nd and the Vegas pick (18-24ish?). Nothing crazy going on here.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Damn that's a pretty good return for Nashville. Burke and Chrona seem like mostly nothing pieces, so it's basically Edstrom and a 1st for Askarov and a 3rd.

Good deal for both sides, the Sharks gave up assets they could afford to give up and the Predators got good value for a guy who wanted out.
Don't underestimate what our goalie factory coaches can make out of a 6'6" Scandinavian goalie.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Is it though?

It's late August. How many teams are in a position to trade for a entry level contract goalie who doesn't want to play in the AHL? SJ, with 2 UFA goalies at the end of this year, already signed him, with 3 NHL games, to guaranteed millions. How many teams were in that same position? Considering what Nashville got, was there a huge market?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It's late August. How many teams are in a position to trade for a entry level contract goalie who doesn't want to play in the AHL? SJ, with 2 UFA goalies at the end of this year, already signed him, with 3 NHL games, to guaranteed millions. How many teams were in that same position? Considering what Nashville got, was there a huge market?

New Jersey, Montreal, and Chicago were mentioned as being in the market. That's enough to drive the price.

Also, Grier pointed out that Askarov is fine with starting in the AHL this season. Of course, the path is also very clear for him as you pointed out.

So again, what reason did Trotz have to rush this and what grounds did teams have to low-ball him?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Tremendous work from sharks. A team on the rise and sometimes goalies just need space and time to shine. I think askarov will do very well and will grow with SJ. Please trade vanecek for something useful.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
They didn’t get paid to take Ceci, they still had to give up a decent defensive prospect for him
Ty Emberson needs to play 50 NHL games next season to remain a restricted free agent and avoid classifying as a Group 6 UFA

He has played 30 career NHL games because he couldn't stay healthy enough to play more last year

He looked admirable playing a small sample of games on one of the worst teams of all time last year, but it's pretty likely he would have been a UFA at season's end and walked for nothing, he was a warm body in the Ceci trade and was used as a contract slot to add a 3rd round pick to take on Ceci's cap hit, we didn't really pay value because that value was going to be lost for nothing

Reactions: Patty Ice

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
FWIW I don't think he's being traded for the NHL roster immediately. I think he'll start in the AHL but there will be injuries and he'll get more than 5 starts, maybe 10. We had a bunch of our AHL prospects starting games last season with Blackwood and Kahkonen out as much as we did. It's "character building" but at least our D is slightly better than last year and our forward corps is MUCH deeper and more responsible.

But the path to being the starter is very clear. One year up-and-down (but the commute is across the hallway), one year of backup or platoon, and if he's doing well, he's the starter on an ascending team in 2026.
Have they announced this? His entire threat to go to the KHL was that he wouldn’t report to the AHL??

My guess is he will as well. It makes sense anyway. I’d also guess his threat was just to get him into a situation where he’d have a better opportunity sooner. Like I said though, they better be careful. Not only is he a wild card with his attitude, we’ve seen too many young goalies get ruined by letting them play in the league prior to being ready.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Have they announced this? His entire threat to go to the KHL was that he wouldn’t report to the AHL??

My guess is he will as well. It makes sense anyway. I’d also guess his threat was just to get him into a situation where he’d have a better opportunity sooner. Like I said though, they better be careful. Not only is he a wild card with his attitude, we’ve seen too many young goalies get ruined by letting them play in the league prior to being ready.

I think it was the Saros contract more than anything.

aircobra

May 4, 2013

I think it had more to do with him wanting to be a #1 starter and he wasn't going to get that opportunity in Nashville because of Saros. I believe after the trade it was reported that he was fine going to the AHL to start the season. His path to being what he wants isn't blocked with the Sharks. I seriously doubt they traded for him just to rush him into the NHL, especially on a rebuilding team.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I think it had more to do with him wanting to be a #1 starter and he wasn't going to get that opportunity in Nashville because of Saros. I believe after the trade it was reported that he was fine going to the AHL to start the season. His path to being what he wants isn't blocked with the Sharks. I seriously doubt they traded for him just to rush him into the NHL, especially on a rebuilding team.
He could have just started in the AHL in Milwaukee and waited for the trade Trotz had already told him they were going to make instead of turning it into a quasi-spectacle like he did 🤷

Reactions: darth5

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
New Jersey, Montreal, and Chicago were mentioned as being in the market. That's enough to drive the price.

Also, Grier pointed out that Askarov is fine with starting in the AHL this season. Of course, the path is also very clear for him as you pointed out.

So again, what reason did Trotz have to rush this and what grounds did teams have to low-ball him?
SJ farm team in the same city as the NHL team. Vs with Nash and Milwaukee.

Other teams were in on Askarov. So, that ensured a good enough return for Nash.

Unfortunately, whenever the GM that drafts a goalie high leaves (before 4 years, which is about the earliest time for the goalie to make the NHL), plans can and do change over time.

In recent drats, Tallon drafted Knight and he is long gone. Poile drafted Askarov and he's since stepped down. Yzerman/Guerin still around after taking Cossa/Wallstedt.

Reactions: Patty Ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad