Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I said the only prospects I was willing to give up were 1 of Edstrom or Bystedt since they were our 7th/8th best prospects and no way in hell do we trade our 1st.

Vegas much higher 1st round pick is acceptable. It won't be far off our 2nd lol

To those who said Askarov will command a top 5 pick and blue chip top prospect....LOL

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
How are the Preds getting Vegas pick? I thought Calgary had that from the Noah Hanifin trade.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I said the only prospects I was willing to give up were 1 of Edstrom or Bystedt since they were our 7th/8th best prospects and no way in hell do we trade our 1st.

Vegas much higher 1st round pick is acceptable. It won't be far off our 2nd lol

To those who said Askarov will command a top 5 pick and blue chip top prospect....LOL
There were people who thought he would not even get a first. Swings both ways.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Agreed. Don't count chickens before they hatch. But if I'm a Flames fan trying to figure out if SJS has what it takes to dismantle our group for the years to come...

Nabokov as a mentor alone would be pretty big for Askarov's mental development. Add in someone like Speer whom I believed would have been a good target for the Flames to try and poach... I'd be leaning towards SJS has the edge. Nabokov/Speer/Askarov vs Sigalet/LaBarbera/Wolf... I'd give the edge to SJS in about 2 years.

I'm a little bit a goalie development nerd. Not a true one, but I've been hoping the Flames upgrade their goalie development since like 2015, so I've been reading a bit more than then average person for a while now.
I'm a little surprised Vladar couldn't elevate his game

Evergreen

I don’t know enough about these guys to assess value, but I love that we are seeing so many exciting moves lately.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
San Jose make a great trade. They have great center depth so losing Edstrom is no big deal. I agree that I think Bystedt is the better of he and Edstrom. Losing a 1st and a depth center prospect for a potential franchise goalie is a big win for Grier. If San Jose gets one more good, young dman, they will be a force in a couple of years.
I like Edstrom more, but at that point it's really just personal preference.

Reactions: JBeast and vortexy

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I like the trade for SJ even though they overpaid a bit. It gives them hope and a nice group of young players to grow with the team.

Reactions: McSkittlez

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I'm a little surprised Vladar couldn't elevate his game

Flames haven't developed a goalie since before Nabokov. I have been of this opinion that goalie development is a severe Achilles heel of the Flames since Malarchuk left the Flames. I think I'd be more excited (not by much though) to hear that the Flames poach someone like Ian Clark than hear that the Flames won a draft lottery.

LaBarbera is fine, but I'd want better than fine TBH. To be fair to those guys, LaBarbera and Sigalet aren't bad at identifying things. What I consider both to be woefully bad at, is the mental side of the game. This affects both the rookies and veteran goalies alike.

Askarov walking in Nabokov's shadows and what I've read about Speer in interviews with Wolf and additional materials, I think SJS hands down has the mental side of the goalie development down pat. From a Flames perspective, I can only hope that Wolf does a great job on his own for his mental development. I'm jelly.

Reactions: Bartcal

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
The point I was trying to make is that the Sharks are loaded at F and the Hawks are loaded at D(plus Bedard) and it will be interesting how it plays out for these two teams.
Id say SJS have the better blue chip prospects in Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Dickinson, Askarov

but obviously building around Bedard and Levshunov is pretty damn good.... is Nazar going to be a regular NHLer this season? Hawks seem to have a full roster already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad