Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I feel like this is a bit of an overpay for Askarov at this point but I understand why the Sharks did it. What a fantastic stockpile of young talent they've built:

Eklund-Granlund-Toffoli
Smith-Celebrini-Zetterlund
Grundstrom-Wennberg-Goodrow
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin
Dellandrea

Ferraro-Rutta
Walman-Ceci
Vlasic-Benning
Thrun

Blackwood
Askarov
Vanacek

That D obviously needs big-time help yet but it's fixable while the rest of the core comes into their own over the next three years.
I really like how Grier's built a balanced team rather than just a bunch of high end skilled youngsters ala hall/eberle/Gagner or the failures in buffalo.

For a rebuild team, they dont have obvious holes in terms of roles, just lack of elite defensive talent. Maybe a vet like Barrie as a PP QB?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Is Nabokov still active in the SJS community? This might be an underrated good landing spot for Askarov's development even if Nabokov isn't even part of the management team for SJS.
He's the director of goaltending while Thomas Speer is the goalie coach. Ryan Miller is also a part o the organization although as a scout.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So is the fallout from this a potential Blackwood or VV trade?

I'd be surprised if they traded either.

Blackwood is most certainly gonna be injured several times this season, but has some upside and will probably be re-signed.

Vanecek flat out sucks at this point, so maybe they waive him if Askarov grabs a spot. Otherwise, I'm sure he'll get plenty of opportunities throughout the season as is.

Reactions: WTFMAN99 and Erep

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I feel like this is a bit of an overpay for Askarov at this point but I understand why the Sharks did it. What a fantastic stockpile of young talent they've built:

Eklund-Granlund-Toffoli
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin
Dellandrea

Ferraro-Rutta
Walman-Ceci
Vlasic-Benning
Thrun

Blackwood
Askarov
Vanacek

That D obviously needs big-time help yet but it's fixable while the rest of the core comes into their own over the next three years.
This doesn't include their top 4 defensive prospects (Mukhmadulin, Dickinson, Thompson and Cagnoni).

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Bystedt wouldve been my preference as well. I wonder if Trotz had a choice there or not. Edström does sound like a Trotz player with a good two way game and some tenacity though
His draft comparable in EP's guide that year was Boone Jenner. So it's fair to say I am very much in favor. :nod:

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
He's the director of goaltending while Thomas Speer is the goalie coach. Ryan Miller is also a part o the organization although as a scout.

Speer is the one that used to be at Everett, right? Wolf's goalie coach?

Harder to ask for a better group to develop Askarov. Damn, SJS might return to their annoyingly good status very, very soon.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Great trade and a perfect fit timeline wise. Next couple years will be about growing pains for the top prospects coming in (Smith, Macklin, Mukh, Dickinson, Musty) and for Warf as a new HC. Askarov coming in in a couple years would be just fine.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017

Eklund-Granlund-Toffoli
Kostin-Sturm-Kunin
Dellandrea

Ferraro-Rutta
Walman-Ceci
Vlasic-Benning
Thrun

Blackwood
Askarov
Vanacek

Will be a team competing for the 1st overall pick again next year.

• Love
Reactions: Shark Finn

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Blackwood and Askarov is probably the most entertaining duo...and they will face a lot of rubber

Must watch for goalie enjoyers

Reactions: Mr Positive

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Speer is the one that used to be at Everett, right? Wolf's goalie coach?

Harder to ask for a better group to develop Askarov. Damn, SJS might return to their annoyingly good status very, very soon.
Yeah that's him.

I would't be jumping the gun just yet. SJ has had a lot of trouble developing goalies at the A level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad