Is NHL strictly a men's league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I don't think we'll ever see a female NHLer. The typical physiological differences between men and women generally put (most) men at an unfair advantage over (most) women in sports where size, strength, and speed are important. Over time, however, I think that we'll start seeing more women in NHL coaching and management, especially if professional women's hockey is developed further.

CogNoman

Mar 15, 2011
Montreal, now.
I think this was the NHL rulebook for the 2023-24 season: https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2023-24/2023-24Rulebook.pdf

I tried searching for the terms "woman/women" and "female", but I didn't get any results. So I don't think people's genders are even mentioned in the rulebook.

So I don't think there are any official restrictions on women. (I suspect that's the case with probably every major team sport in the Western world too.)

Reactions: 1989

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Noora Räty, who at least used to be one of the best female goalies in the world, played some games in Mestis (2nd highest tier of men's hockey in Finland). I think she had 8 games total with .894% which I guess is OK but not great. Then she moved to 3rd highest level league (which frankly is not that high, it's where being "pro" means you make a living wage pretty much and I'm pretty sure many players still have a day job) hovering around .900%

I think goalie is the position where I could see it maybe happen some day - not very likely, but if the playerbase grows big enough, maybe one day a female goalie phenom emerges.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
No, I don't think there are any rules preventing women from playing. Many cultural impediments exist, but those are all unwritten.

There are certainly women who have the requisite physical frame and build to take a shot at the NHL, but what is lacking are developmental systems welcoming to women that also teach bodychecking. The current professional hockey development structures do not seek to prepare the pool of potential candidates to dole out or absorb checking. That's the largest impediment at present to realistic pathways to the NHL for women. The rules in men's and women's hockey are fundamentally different with respect to physical contact. Women's hockey is not seeking to prepare women to break into the men's game the way that the men's pro minors overtly do seek to prepare players for the NHL (through synchronized rules).

You'd have to imagine that the kind of roadmap it would take would involve isolated cases of women who grow up playing with men in a rural context, who play in a bodychecking environment where it's simply all anyone knows. So they would learn checking from a relatively young age and be unfazed by it. Not impossible, but much less likely.

Of course, women specializing in goaltending represents an area where all this doesn't apply. It would seem to be the more likely pathway. Yet the NHL's embrace of very tall goaltenders over smaller but nimbler athletic goalies has made that route less realistic over the last 15-20 years than it was in the 1990s.

Nothing in the rules prevents it, however. Take a look at Olympic teams this summer. There are women athletes with the necessary physical builds.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If it's going to happen in the near future, it seems most likely to be a goalie. There definitely are athletes who have the size + athleticism - look at the WNBA. If you ask me whether I think an athlete on the level of A'ja Wilson or Nneka Ogwumike could make a pretty good attempt at it, I'd say they could. (Tell me a person with Wilson's footwork couldn't skate, lol). But the pathway to being a professional athlete in some other sport seems a heck of a lot more clear, and hockey is a really inaccessible sport. And if there were more professional basketball level athletes involved in hockey, it would be even more difficult.

I've seen some basketball athletes (especially on the girls side) doing lacrosse instead of track in the spring completely change the game as middies. And I've a few who would good enough to play with the boys as midfielders. But it's way way easier to teach an athletic kid to pick up ground balls, cradle, catch, and pass in a few weeks than it is to get them on skates, and it costs nothing. And those girls already know how to box out, lol. Girls basketball can be really physical.

Idgaf about gender roles or cultural crap. Just talking about athletes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1989 and Viqsi

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Oh it should be worth pointing out that while Noora Räty was one of the best in the world in her position, she still had trouble making ends meet as a pro, so it's not level playing field compared to men. A male goalie of her talent would've been a full time pro already as a teenager, making it way easier for them to reach their full potential.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
No. Check out that woman goalie.

Bingo. Manon Rheaume. Link

She played in 2 preseason games for Tampa Bay, and was in net during the 2022 NHL all star breakaway challenge. She also played games in the IHL, which is a men's league that counts as a "professional" league.

She was totally legit, and more than just a PR gimmick. She won IIHF Women's gold in '92 and '94 and Olympic Silver in '98.

I realise her preseason games are not the same as a regular season stat line. But it shows that it's possible for the goaltending position.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Who would be the closest female right now to play even in the ECHL?

Are there any in the lower Euro Men leagues?

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If it's going to happen in the near future, it seems most likely to be a goalie. There definitely are athletes who have the size + athleticism - look at the WNBA. If you ask me whether I think an athlete on the level of A'ja Wilson or Nneka Ogwumike could make a pretty good attempt at it, I'd say they could. (Tell me a person with Wilson's footwork couldn't skate, lol). But the pathway to being a professional athlete in some other sport seems a heck of a lot more clear, and hockey is a really inaccessible sport. And if there were more professional basketball level athletes involved in hockey, it would be even more difficult.

I've seen some basketball athletes (especially on the girls side) doing lacrosse instead of track in the spring completely change the game as middies. And I've a few who would good enough to play with the boys as midfielders. But it's way way easier to teach an athletic kid to pick up ground balls, cradle, catch, and pass in a few weeks than it is to get them on skates, and it costs nothing. And those girls already know how to box out, lol. Girls basketball can be really physical.

Idgaf about gender roles or cultural crap. Just talking about athletes.
A'ja Wilson is only 195 lbs, though. Even Jonquel Jones, who is 6'6" and has a frame like Lemieux is only listed at 215.

There are women who are tall and wide enough to be in the NHL but women have a lot less relative muscle mass. They would have to be like 6'10" to have NHL strength.

And don't get me wrong, everyone in the WNBA could 1) bench press me and 2) beat most men at hockey, but NHL athletes aren't mediocre men on the internet.

Reactions: Voight

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
At 5'11, 172 lbs, Hilary Knight is bigger and stronger than several NHL players, such as Johnny Gaudreau. There are absolutely women that can physically handle the NHL. They just need to also possess the requisite skill to force and desire to play in the NHL. One will come along eventually.
This guy, a simp and a gentleman scholar who is blissfully unaware of biological (anatomical, hormonal) differences between men and women. Compare her results in a hockey skills competition, track and field, or gym, and she will lose against most if not every single one of high school level male athletes. Who cares how tall or heavy she is? That says nothing about her fat percentage or muscle mass or fast-twitch muscle fibers.

As to your ridiculous statement: One will come eventually because of hilarious DEI initiatives around NA. She will dress and play fourth line minutes for a game or two. After that the novelty will wear off and ticket sales are no longer affected by the elephant in the room.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd rather think this is a very current day and age summer thread, as opposed to a classic, which might be more along the lines of, "Would Pirates or Ninjas ice a better hockey team?"

I long for the halcyon days of Pirates versus Ninjas.

Ninjas would win all the time, come on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad