Is NHL strictly a men's league?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudYeller

Jul 8, 2024
Just look at the physical advantages men have.

Height. Average height(usa) for men is 5'9. For women it's 5'4.
Speed. The women's world record in the 100m was set in 1988 @10.49, how many men ran at least that time in 2023 alone.
Strength. Olympic weight lifting records @81kg(178lbs) level, snatch + clean and jerk total. Men 378kg(833lb), women 284kg(626lb). Qualifying totals needed in Canada 2024, men @55kg, 203kg, women @87kg+ 207kg
The f*** do averages have to do with anything, and why the hell are you quoting stats from other sports where there's exactly ONE thing that people do?

We're talking about a league where Alex DeBrincat plays. He isn't even average height for a man, and he's a couple of inches shorter than Taylor Heise. Wanna talk Theo Fleury('s stats, not the stupid shit he says)?

The real reason you don't see women competing at this level is clearly demonstrated in this thread. A bunch of pisspants man-children would absolutely wet the floor if it was ever shown that any woman was better than them at anything, ever. "DEI hire!" they squeal as their not-Phil-Kessel ass shoves another hot dog down their throat.

It will be a long time before we see women in the NHL on a regular basis, but it will happen as these ass-backwards numbuts die out and are replaced by people that understand how team sports actually work.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
The NHL is very much trying to promote diversity.

If there was a woman good enough to play, she would be doing so.

As posted earlier, it would take an Amazon like woman to be able to do so.

View attachment 895206
Even then I still wonder.

Serena Williams is a beast, and I mean that in a good way. She doesn't even play a contact sport, and even she acknowledges she's nowhere near the level of the men's players despite being an absolute unit in comparison, physically.

We saw the same thing with Rhonda Rousey. There was a point where everyone was saying she could destroy some of the men who were the same size or smaller. But that got walked back as quickly as it arrived when it became apparent than any of the men who actually knew how to fight, even despite the size difference, would have seriously hurt her.

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
If it was truly an equality thing, there'd be men in the women's league, and lets remember the NHL is the National Hockey League, not the professional Men's league, but women's hockey is specifically named the Professional Women's league and for good reason. If a man even tried to join that league all hell would break loose. There's nothing wrong with the NHL as it is, and nothing wrong with the women's league as it is. Some people try too hard to create problems where none exist

Reactions: Suntouchable13

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
If it was truly an equality thing, there'd be men in the women's league, and lets remember the NHL is the National Hockey League, not the professional Men's league, but women's hockey is specifically named the Professional Women's league and for good reason. If a man even tried to join that league all hell would break loose. There's nothing wrong with the NHL as it is, and nothing wrong with the women's league as it is. Some people try too hard to create problems where none exist
Do you think men aren't equal to women until they are allowed to play in women's sports leagues?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Hmm I always wondered that. Obviously only biological men can play at this level , in all sports, but I wonder if the actual bylaws explicitly state men only

Out of the 4 major sports, I am guessing the NHL would be the least likely to have a female player, thinking the NFL could have a female kicker/punter.
Kickers / punters sometimes end up talking a nasty whallop during returns, as rare as that is. I suppose they can run off the field as soon as the kick is made lol

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I heard there was a hockey-playing chimpanzee that was making a name for himself in the minor leagues, but he retired early to move to some nature reserve before he could go pro.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
The f*** do averages have to do with anything, and why the hell are you quoting stats from other sports where there's exactly ONE thing that people do?

We're talking about a league where Alex DeBrincat plays. He isn't even average height for a man, and he's a couple of inches shorter than Taylor Heise. Wanna talk Theo Fleury('s stats, not the stupid shit he says)?

The real reason you don't see women competing at this level is clearly demonstrated in this thread. A bunch of pisspants man-children would absolutely wet the floor if it was ever shown that any woman was better than them at anything, ever. "DEI hire!" they squeal as their not-Phil-Kessel ass shoves another hot dog down their throat.

It will be a long time before we see women in the NHL on a regular basis, but it will happen as these ass-backwards numbuts die out and are replaced by people that understand how team sports actually work.
Did you join specifically to post this?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
At 5'11, 172 lbs, Hilary Knight is bigger and stronger than several NHL players, such as Johnny Gaudreau. There are absolutely women that can physically handle the NHL. They just need to also possess the requisite skill to force and desire to play in the NHL. One will come along eventually.
You must be joking me 🤣 bigger maybe but stronger she is not. I could easily put a bigger girl in coma with one hit. Seriously men have different genetics, tgey have testosterone and higher pain threshold, bigger bones and bigger upper body muscles. Cant say a woman is stronger just because they are taller or heavier lol

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
Do you think men aren't equal to women until they are allowed to play in women's sports leagues?
Is that what you took from my post? FWIW, I don't think women and men are equal all except in the philosophical sense. We should strive to treat each other with respect, but outside intelligence which is hit and miss on both sides, there's not much else there. It isn't equality that'll save our species, it's our differences.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Is that what you took from my post? FWIW, I don't think women and men are equal all except in the philosophical sense. We should strive to treat each other with respect, but outside intelligence which is hit and miss on both sides, there's not much else there. It isn't equality that'll save our species, it's our differences.
It was just a yes or no question jeez

What’s your opinion?
Sorry but I'm not a manly man

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Imagine Ryan Reaves Dropping the gloves with Amanda Kessel ?

Not intended in poor taste, but it made me think of vintage South Park….

Attachments

• 1721141154990.png
    1721141154990.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 1

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
It’s as close to impossible as anything will ever be. Maybe a crazy good female goalie could do it but that still takes a lot of physical athleticism.

People here should really investigate the quality of women’s hockey compared to men. It’s readily available information considering they have played against each other. Best female hockey player in the world wouldn’t crack an ECHL team

Bond

May 10, 2012
It’s as close to impossible as anything will ever be. Maybe a crazy good female goalie could do it but that still takes a lot of physical athleticism.

People here should really investigate the quality of women’s hockey compared to men. It’s readily available information considering they have played against each other. Best female hockey player in the world wouldn’t crack an ECHL team
I feel like a 6’4 woman could be an NHL goalie if they went through the same training a man did. They are just even rarer than tall men

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Talk about a bad take. And this isn't misogyny talking. I'm securing enough in myself to say that I've met a bunch of women who are better at my job than I am, and I'm really damn good at my job. I also know there are also women who could absolutely kick my ass. But I'm not a professional athelete.

The NHL isn't just about height/weight. Like Drake mentioned earlier - women have never played with bodychecking. IMO, it's essentially an entirely different game. You can make a case for goaltending, until you look at what it takes to be make the NHL. You'd have to be top 64 on the planet, and with the combination requirement of size, athleticism, and skating since you're a little kid, that is a huge stretch. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's HIGHLY improbable IMO.

What is different about men/women in hockey vs other sports? If anything, IMO the divide is even larger because of the more physical nature of the game compared to basketball or soccer.

IMO - there are some amazing female hockey players. Appreciate what they can do without applying your agenda to the discussion.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Serena Williams is the best women’s tennis player ever and she got waffle stomped by some no-name men’s player.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The Kraken hired a woman coach and there are several women in management positions. While I have zero doubts about her competency, you'd be naive to think this won't change the way a player will act or behave in the locker room. I know they are professionals but some players might not be as open to it as people think. Personally I think it's a mistake hire and that comes from someone who is married and has a daughter and loves women. This isn't an office; this isn't a normal workplace - this is a lockeroom where dongs are hanging around and guys are talking about women in a different manner at times. I'm sure someone will happily white knight me with a vat of knowledge of my ignorance ass but my opinion isn't going to change on it.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I feel like a 6’4 woman could be an NHL goalie if they went through the same training a man did. They are just even rarer than tall men
I would agree - if the woman had been playing goal and training since they were a little kid.

Couple of things I'd say:
1) This isn't about physical makeup. If you look at goalies today - what age did they start playing goal and developing their craft. This isn't like other sports where a gifted athelete can play at the highest level just based on physical gifts.
2) Take into account how hard on your body playing modern goalie is. Anyone notice how many goalies get hurt and they play fewer games than any other time in history? I'm not a doctor, but was told that women are more prone in basketball to knee issues because of the biological differences. That would be an issue IMO.
3) To be more than a diversity hire, the women would have to be the top 64 goalies on the planet. We're not talking about being a marginal punter on a progressive college football team.

Reactions: WhataKnight

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On

Is that what you took from my post?

If the fastest woman ever is slower than a plethora of men, do you think suddenly one can put on a pair skates and skate on par with men? No!

If in strength competitions, women have MUCH lower entry requirements, do you think once they put on hockey equipment, that strength disparity dissipates?

Lower muscle mass(with equivalent training), lower bone density, men's muscles also have a higher fast twitch:low twitch muscle fiber ratio. The fastest, strongest woman's hockey player will still be slower and weaker than the weakest NHLer(likely AHLer as well). This has nothing to do with not wanting women in hockey, it's biology and science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad