HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'm sorry but no player will let 2-3m on the table for 5-6 year contract (15m on the table). He's becoming UFA at 29, that players best opportunity to cash out, they will do it. And it's not like if we where a team like Dallas (real contender).
If you’re in your happy spot, will $78M vs $72M in your bank account make that big a difference to you or your family?

I know millions more or less seem like a huge deal to 99% of people, but once you get to a certain point of wealth, it really doesn’t matter to most multi millionaire as much as they’re happiness. All that to say that if Laine finds a home in Montreal, he’ll be in a situation he won’t likely be able to find anywhere else in the league. God like praise, winning team, personal success and a home. Hard to put a dollar amount on that and risking it all for an uncertain situation in the back half of your career when the first half was so rocky.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Right catching goalies are weird. Askarov won't be that good.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

What I've also been saying for a while.

Even if people just stat watch, Dobes gave up about .5 goals more per game, but the save percentage is much closer.

Dobes' numbers would have been better if he and the whole Rocket team didn't get off to such a terrible start defensively..

Dobes, imo was easily the most improved player for Laval from the first month to the last.

Lastly, full right goalies I'd never sign, trade for, or draft them, but that's me and my odd dislike for full right goalies.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I'm sorry but no player will let 2-3m on the table for 5-6 year contract (15m on the table). He's becoming UFA at 29, that players best opportunity to cash out, they will do it. And it's not like if we where a team like Dallas (real contender).
Laine will be UFA at the age of 28.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If Laine plays well, why trade him? Assuming that “well” means a return to 40g form

Those players are hard to find and he is 26 years old
Nah, he will earn a big contract and who doesn't say his internal demons don't manifest themselves again. The Habs gave up a depth D to acquire him, says lots. Hopefully, he tears it up again in the league and quality assets are coming back. You have to constantly replenish your prospect pool.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Well , Askarov is about to find out what playing in the NHL is like , good luck kid , you're gonna need it
I believe I read a tweet that stated that SJ talked to Askarov and his agent before the extension that they plan on him playing with their AHL team "barracuda" for this year.

Seems like Askarov really didn't see a path forward for him with the Preds. San Jose however has Vanecek and Blackwood as goalies and both are UFA next season.

man.. the Devils are great at trading goalies that are good for tanking.:D

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If you’re in your happy spot, will $78M vs $72M in your bank account make that big a difference to you or your family?

I know millions more or less seem like a huge deal to 99% of people, but once you get to a certain point of wealth, it really doesn’t matter to most multi millionaire as much as they’re happiness. All that to say that if Laine finds a home in Montreal, he’ll be in a situation he won’t likely be able to find anywhere else in the league. God like praise, winning team, personal success and a home. Hard to put a dollar amount on that and risking it all for an uncertain situation in the back half of your career when the first half was so rocky.
For 2-3m on a total contract I would agree

But for a difference of 5-6 years 35m-42m (7m AAV) or 5-6yrs 45m-54m (9m AAV) it’s a huge difference

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

Agree to disagree (won’t name Bergeron etc). We have to be real contenders tough, not pretenders and there’s no guarantee we’ll be there in 2 years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
For 2-3m on a total contract I would agree

But for a difference of 5-6 years 35m-42m (7m AAV) or 5-6yrs 45m-54m (9m AAV) it’s a huge difference
Depends on the player and the situation. Think Crosby couldn’t have asked for $10+ when he signed his $8.7M contract? McDavid turned down Wdmontons initial offer because it was too high and he wanted to lower his cap so the team could be competitive. Same for MacKinnon, Bergeron, Marchand etc. Not every player goes to the wall for top dollar, especially when they’re in the right situation.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Agree to disagree (won’t name Bergeron etc). We have to be real contenders tough, not pretenders and there’s no guarantee we’ll be there in 2 years.
Depends on the player and the situation. Think Crosby couldn’t have asked for $10+ when he signed his $8.7M contract? McDavid turned down Wdmontons initial offer because it was too high and he wanted to lower his cap so the team could be competitive. Same for MacKinnon, Bergeron, Marchand etc. Not every player goes to the wall for top dollar, especially when they’re in the right situation.

Sure but Crosby and Bergeron are the ultimate team players/leaders, they are the exceptions not the normality. I wouldn’t put Laine in that category of person.

McDavid/Mackinnon are still the 2 highest paid players in the league

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sure but Crosby and Bergeron are the ultimate team players/leaders, they are the exceptions not the normality. I wouldn’t put Laine in that category of person.

McDavid/Mackinnon are still the 2 highest paid players in the league
They were team players because they wanted to win and they were in a great situation. Cup contenders and wanted to win, not mercenaries. McDavid and MacKinnon could’ve asked for more and would have received it but took less knowing the team needed to keep some money to add more depth to continue to be contenders. Same applies for all of them and other players. They left multi millions in the table to take a team friendly deal.

If Laine does well and gets back to his early day form, I don’t imagine he’ll pull a Mathews, Marner etc. and demand top dollar. If he does, move him. But I don’t think money is the sole motivator for a guy like Laine. Rather, I imagine him being the best player on a cup contender for the rest of his career where he can be a difference maker and a legend all at once. Glory is a hell of a motivator and makes leaving money on the table a lot more bearable. It’s managements job to get the team to that point.

Reactions: bsl

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
A player under 26 yrs that have already ask for 2 traded is what though ?

I expect the opposite personally, he’s in the mole then both of those guys
I highly doubt that. If HuGo thought he would milk the team for everything he can get they wouldn't have traded for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad