Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What is Matthews going to do, follow to the team who trades for Marner? Ridiculous, the NHL isn’t the NBA (thank god).

Let me suggest a better motivation than having Marner on your team. Winning a Stanley cup.

The NHL should be more like the NBA and NFL. It baffles me why NHL fans are so pro owner. No other major sport is like that. NHL players are grossly underpaid, them making more will only increase our interest. Player movement should be encouraged and a Luxury tax shOuld be encouraged so that teams can really get players to stay or draw them to move.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
You’re the fool though because Tavares does have options. He has an NMC and he’ll tell management “no”. Also having an NMC they can’t waive him.
If he knew mgmt & the fans didn't want him he'd agree to a move 100%. No one wants to be booed in their own Bldg...esp an undeserving captain.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner isn’t getting all the blame, you don’t need to come to his defense. He’s a world class hockey player, he’s fantastic.

But he’s immature. And that is a problem the entire team has. How do I qualify that? Watch him, listen to him talk. Watch him cry in the penalty box.

How many over the glass penalties has Marner had in the playoffs? From the articles last year I think I remember it being 5 or 6? Immature.

Go watch all of his post game press conferences after the team didn’t show up for game 7 (pick a year, any year, then watch them all, every loss). “We didn’t come ready to play” “nothing I need to do differently” “look in the mirror”, etc

Being upset at a situation does not make you immature. If anything it makes you the immature person to believe that showing emotion (which is a basic human function) is a sign of immaturity.

It’s the only thing people can reference in terms of Marner being immature. Crying doesn’t make you immature. It was an emotional moment for him, everyone reacts differently to different situations. Jack Campbell cries every f***ing day and he cried like a baby at the press conference and no one calls him immature. It’s another stupid narrative to try and make Marner look bad, it has no merit.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The NHL should be more like the NBA and NFL. It baffles me why NHL fans are so pro owner. No other major sport is like that. NHL players are grossly underpaid, them making more will only increase our interest. Player movement should be encouraged and a Luxury tax shOuld be encouraged so that teams can really get players to stay or draw them to move.

I’m not talking about salary, I could care less about that. I’m talking about players building their own super teams.

It’s gross, not fun. Matthews couldn’t do what Lebron does and just pick who he plays with and that’s a good thing.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Moving Marner gives AM zero motivation to stay in this town.

?

Leafs can pay him more than anyone, could go down as the greatest Leaf ever, more attention and spotlight here than anywhere else for a guy that seems to enjoy that, organization has shown an ability to put a consistently good team around him and provide him playoff opportunities.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If he knew mgmt & the fans didn't want him he'd agree to a move 100%. No one wants to be booed in their own Bldg...esp an undeserving captain.

Maybe but What players would want to be apart of an organization that intentionally caused turmoil just to move a bad contract out. I’m sorry that is horrible management, you might get your wish of getting rid of Tavares but you’d 100% soil things in the locker room too

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
While every player can be moved for the right price, moving him for futures makes zero sense.

I also don't buy the idea that trading him makes the teams better positioned for the playoffs.

Fun fact over the last three playoffs combined Nylander has as many goals as Matthews. And most points/goals over the last two.

I don't particularly care about playoff production for this team. The sample sizes are so small that one series could massively shift everything.

I also don't think the team has the luxury of keeping everything intact and just going along. All of the big three will want raises at the end of their current contracts and decisions need to be made before trade protections kick in.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
So we lose in round #1 and we keep 16,34,88 and 91, pick up a few spare parts at the junkyard and take another run ?? At some point the brain trust has to admit, this core cannot get it done without better support.
Sure, I said in another post here, if we get turfed things change.

Reactions: ToneDog

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe but What players would want to be apart of an organization that intentionally caused turmoil just to move a bad contract out. I’m sorry that is horrible management, you might get your wish of getting rid of Tavares but you’d 100% soil things in the locker room too
Teams get away with a lot of nonsense. Look at how Buffalo treated Eichel. I don't see a lot of ill effects from that.

Look at way Chicago treated one of it's players. Vegas etc etc.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
LOL and again he’d say no. Tavares won’t give a shit, at the end of the day his contract is too big. You can’t bury it and he’s not bad enough to demote him & oh yeah, if you do that to Tavares you think the rest of the boys on the team are gonna stand for that shit? They are a brotherhood. Marner and Matthews would be thinking if they are willing to do that to Tavares they’d be willing to do that to us. Kiss them good bye in UFA. Every decision you make as management has a consequence. I’m sorry but you need to accept it, Tavares is here to stay. Once his deal is up he’ll sign for a million or less each year and I’m okay with that.
guys get demoted/traded/waived what have you all the time , the players know this is a results oriented business so none of them would bat an eye if they got Johnny to waive and moved him

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I'd argue the NFL is more pro owner, but your points still stand.

Reactions: francis246

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The playoff result will determine whether we’re keeping Marner or not. Nylander will be a domino effect from that decision.

I’m in no hurry to trade Nylander. He’s not doing well right now, but he’s on far more often than he’s off. Great player on a good contract, having a rough patch right now. We only need to trade him if we’re full on retooling, and I don’t think he’s the problem.

I don't think we move off Marner. The Matthews-Marner-Bunting line is too valuable in the regular season and if the Leafs are underperforming now it's because their ROI on the second line with the Medium 2 isn't what it should be.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'll wait until I see playoff performances to accurately answer that question. Willy was quite arguably our best player last post-season. I think we need to separate him and JT for a while. It's just gone so stale.

Reactions: geo25

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If the Leafs win a couple of playoff rounds and Nylander finds a two way game, he remains part of the future.

If not, he is a member of another teams future, (along with other players).

I was one of the few who wanted him traded for a top defenseman when he held out. There was immense pressure on the Leafs to sign him. He is talented, but only shows flashes of understanding what it takes to win, especially away from the puck.

Let's not give others a pass either, not one player on this roster has won a playoff round as a Maple Leaf.

Reactions: geo25

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I would've traded him at this past deadline tbh. Yes, Tavares is the obvious guy you want to move but what does he net you? It won't be pure cap space that's for sure.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Depends on the playoffs obviously. So No. Lets see how they do. If I had a gun to my head? No. However, right now Mikheyev is looking really good. He doesn't have the skill of Nylander but his fearless driving to the net is making me a fan. If it came down to signing Mikheyev for a discount of Nylanders cost and getting some top draft picks for Nylander I might consider it if we don't go deep into the playoffs. Nylander was one of our best players last year. You have to wait to see how the playoffs go.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
guys get demoted/traded/waived what have you all the time , the players know this is a results oriented business so none of them would bat an eye if they got Johnny to waive and moved him

You’re wrong, the way you handle those situations absolutely matters. It’s why you see so many players have openly thanked Kyle Dubas for the way he’s handled their trade requests or the team moving on from them.

At the end of the day how organizations treat their players makes a difference in whether players want to be there.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Teams get away with a lot of nonsense. Look at how Buffalo treated Eichel. I don't see a lot of ill effects from that.

Look at way Chicago treated one of it's players. Vegas etc etc.

That’s different the player wanted out. Tavares wants to stay

Reactions: Buds17

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You’re wrong, the way you handle those situations absolutely matters. It’s why you see so many players have openly thanked Kyle Dubas for the way he’s handled their trade requests or the team moving on from them.

At the end of the day how organizations treat their players makes a difference in whether players want to be there.
if we traded JT for a pick there'd be a lineup of players who'd gladly sign here

JT means nothing to the Leaf organization , it;s not like we're trying to dump Sid out of Pittsburgh /

also players have competed for spots since they were little kids , they fully understand it's a results oriented business and none of them will give a damn if Capt Mumbles gets traded , they will be pissed however if Mitch gets moved because Dubie is too gutless to get JT to waive

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Being upset at a situation does not make you immature. If anything it makes you the immature person to believe that showing emotion (which is a basic human function) is a sign of immaturity.

It’s the only thing people can reference in terms of Marner being immature. Crying doesn’t make you immature. It was an emotional moment for him, everyone reacts differently to different situations. Jack Campbell cries every f***ing day and he cried like a baby at the press conference and no one calls him immature. It’s another stupid narrative to try and make Marner look bad, it has no merit.
I agree that crying doesn't mean you're immature. I had this argument years ago when Kobe was crying after losing in the finals, doesn't reflect badly on him at all, if anything it shows how much he cares. Thing is though, crying when the game is over is one thing, crying when the game is very much not over is another. Marner crying in the box maybe isn't a sign of immaturity but I think it's fair to say that it is a sign of weakness.

Anyhow, that's all in the past. People change, players evolve and I've been as hard on Marner as anyone but the past is the past, Marner has been playing exceptionally well lately and has a different look to him. I'm giving him a clean slate when the playoffs start and if that were to happen again, maybe he'll cry again or maybe he'll stay focused and get ready to play his heart out when he's out of the box again. Eyes full of tears or eyes blazing like a panther, we'll see.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Nylander isn't the problem for his C.H.%, as it matches his production, its having 3 X $11 mil players on the same team.

One of the $11 mil players should be dealt (Tavares with NMC as captain is difficult) or Marner.
Has a team ever won a Stanley cup with one 11 million dollar player ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad