Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, I would. I've been one of his biggest supporters over the years. He just can't seem to ever get his game together. He knows what he's doing wrong, yet he continues to do the same crap game in and game out. He's lazy, soft and has no work ethic. He coasts in for the easy plays, may surprise you every once in awhile with a good play, but gives it right back up five minutes later.

I know he was good in the playoffs last season, but I don't even care anymore. He has trade value, doesn't have a trade or movement clause, so they should try and do something beneficial. Him on this team isn't providing much benefit to anyone, especially not to the second line.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Do it. I'll be the first one to laugh at everyone when you instantly regret it.

Why?

Do you know what we're getting back in return for him?!

I know, I know.... any trade involving any of Nylander/Marner/Matthews we automatically lose because you say so.

Before you start, I've heard the whole story before.

Reactions: bax

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
What happens if the offer is from a playoff team? Their 1st round pick obviously falls in the back half of the draft. There has to be a plan to do something with that cap space concurrently as I'm not crazy about the idea of trading a player of that calibre in exchange for futures that may not pan out. Regardless, a trade of this magnitude really only becomes palatable to me if the team fails to meet a specific expectation (winning a playoff round).

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylanderthal

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
We have a lot of talent coming in on the wing. If we can deal him for a good futures package. I'm talking a 1st+ an A level prospect+ then you look at it. Then use his cap space to fill in holes as we have ELC wingers coming in (Knies, Robertson, Abruzzese, Steeves etc.)

Reactions: geo25

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While every player can be moved for the right price, moving him for futures makes zero sense.

I also don't buy the idea that trading him makes the teams better positioned for the playoffs.

Fun fact over the last three playoffs combined Nylander has as many goals as Matthews. And most points/goals over the last two.

Last edited:

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
POsters always point to the fact that marner and Matthews didn’t score enough in last years playoffs.it wasn’t for lack of trying. Matthews had 38 shots on net and that line didn’t have a 5v5 goal scored on them.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
While every player can be moved for the right place, moving him for futures makes zero sense.

I also don't buy the idea that trading him makes the teams better positioned for the playoffs.

Fun fact over the last three playoffs combined Nylander has as many goals as Matthews. And mosr points/goals over the last two.
Fun fact he is playing against the other teams 3/4 dmen and other teams second line. He isn’t getting the defensive match ups that Matthews gets. With his skill he should be winning that match up.

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
If you can get rid of Tavares, then you keep Nylander. Hwever, I don't think the Tavares contract is moveable even if he waived the NTC, so we'll likely be forced to move Nylander.

I'm sure he'll be a monster for his next team, but you can't have as much tied up in as little as we do and expect to build a balanced team. Value wise, Nylander's contract is better than both Marner's and JT's, but I don't think you can move Marner without regretting it no matter what you get back. If Marner has another disaster playoffs while Nylander is a monster again, maybe that equation changes.

Use the cap space to try and fix the goaltending situation and improve the D, then hope that some of our prospects fill the void on offense.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Fun fact he is playing against the other teams 3/4 dmen and other teams second line. He isn’t getting the defensive match ups that Matthews gets. With his skill he should be winning that match up.

And he's paid 4 million less to do so. Superstars are expected to produce regardless of how tough the opposition is.

This team needs to score MORE goals in the playoffs. Getting rid of one of the few guys who actually does so doesn't seem wise imo.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
While every player can be moved for the right place, moving him for futures makes zero sense.

Fun fact over the last three playoffs combined Nylander has as many goals as Matthews. And mosr points/goals over the last two.
Moving him for futures means we would essentially have 7 million to spend wherever we want (UFA, trade) along with adding significantly to our farm system. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Moving him for futures means we would essentially have 7 million to spend wherever we want (UFA, trade) along with adding significantly to our farm system. Makes a lot of sense to me.

To spend on older UFAs while Subtracting a guy whose been pacing fairly consistently for 70ish points 30ish goals. I'm not sure that ices a better team.

Ultimately this team is in win now mode while Matthews is under contract. A mid to late 1st round pick that won't play as a rookie in the NHL for up 3-4 years isn't going to help that.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Why?

Do you know what we're getting back in return for him?!

I know, I know.... any trade involving any of Nylander/Marner/Matthews we automatically lose because you say so.

Does this seem like a "Trade Nylander if the return is too good to turn down" thread to you? Maybe you should re-read the first post in the thread.

You can make a thread for every player in the league if you want to make up fantasies about the return.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
By the way, this doesn't apply to Matthews or Marner because they are both, without argument, top 5 in their position and almost impossible to replace without another long rebuild.
Explain how you're replacing Nylander within the next 10 years? You will trade him and then one day realize you now need one of him, but you can't get one unless you draft top 5 to top 8, so there is never a Nylander coming for you. You will just have to sit there and envy one on another team.

Good luck with this plan. Guy is 25 years old and still hasn't peaked.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
This guy has to come to work HARD for 20 minutes every few nights. But no. And tonight he admits he's lazy.

He's in his prime. If he hasn't gotten it together by now, it's his m.o. and it's not gonna change. Get this cancerous growth out of here if you want to win anything.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
So your idea to win a cup is subtracting guys you can't get on the market period for players you only need cap space for?

This strategy has ever worked?

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Trade Tavares first - see if he waives NMC - if not, Nylander is the next piece.

I feel like guys like Knies/Robertson would do better on Tavares's wing anyway

We have too many winger prospects that are potentially ready in Knies, Abruzzese, Robertson, and Anderson

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
I don't know how to vote in polls, but I'm a 100% yes. It was very disappointing a last second Nylander trade didn't happen before the deadline. Shocked that Kyle would roll with Willy in what could be his final year as GM if this team fails again.

This team needs a shakeup. It got one with Keefe, yet, they haven't won a series with him. Perhaps, it's the personnel? I loved the old hockey coach, Herb Brooks. He wasn't looking for the best players. He was looking for the right players. We don't have the right players, collectively. Kyle for everything he is, he hasn't been about the intangibles.

As a fan, I'll take a team with less talent that goes hard for 60 and is mentally tough. Prefer a team I feel as a fan I can trust no matter what to lay it all on the line all the time. Addition by subtraction is a real concept and one I think the Leafs should explore by trading one of their most talented players for a right one. Ironically, sometimes I think Willy is a right one because when the pressure is really on, I don't think it affects him. He's aloof and goes to the beat of his own drum but his drummer ain't got sticks a lot of the time.

For me, I've been an advocate for reducing our cap by dangling Nylander for a promising young player on an ELC. I wanted him dealt for a guy like Necas, or Robert Thomas, a few years ago. Just someone in that mold who has talent but is huge cap savings. I wanted the talent replaced. Now, I just want a guy who is sold out to win who has a portion of Willy's talent.

As for JT, I hope we could get him to waive, and then retain to get him moved if need be. What's the buyout look like on a contract like his?

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Ya, kinda fed up with him tbh. He doesn't try hard enough and to me that is the ultimate sin. His salary would be better reallocated to a lesser winger and then goaltending and defense.

Reactions: riffle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad