Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

Craigo85

Apr 24, 2018
At times I feel like trading JT for a 7th round pick would be worth it for the cap space. Willy I'm on board with seeing how the playoffs go too, but yeah I'd be open to trading him if it goes as bad as I fear it will this year....hope I'm eating crow though.

Willy strikes.me as someone who will do well elsewhere too, and his contract isn't bad. Would need to be a decent return.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The level of arrogance to not care but show up and embarass the sweater. Nylander is a joke. I find it very hard to believe he is one of the boys in that locker room, he does not do his job. I bet Nylander is shopping online for sunglasses, in between periods

• Haha
Reactions: riffle

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
if he has another outstanding playoffs, I say goodbye to Marner, choice becomes infinitely easier if Marner shits the bed again

Listen, Marner is an insane talent, no doubt he is more talented than Nylander. Without him I could easily see the argument that we don’t make the playoffs.

However, what’s the point in helping you make the playoffs if the guy doesn’t show up for game 1. would actually rather test my luck with shipping marner out for a few pieces to try and remodel the team and make the playoffs without him

On the other hand, if nylander shits the bed in the playoffs, it has to be goodbye. He can’t be kept if he has a disappointing run

Either way, if anyone of the big 4 get traded I think dubas should be fired 3 months beforehand. It shows direct failure on his part to build a team capable of winning. He shouldn’t be allowed to pull the trigger on this trade as this undermines and destroys exactly what he tried to build

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
You do everything in your power to move Tavares first
Unfortunately, HE’s the one with all the power. I love the guy, but unless he scores the Cup winning goal in OT, he’s just not going to be able to live up to that contract.

horner

May 22, 2007
I voted to trade Nylander in the poll, because one of the big 4 has to go. I'd prefer it to be Tavares but it ain't logically possible for Dubas to do it. We would need a new GM that's a great big meany!

If we lay an egg in the playoffs again , the heat may be to much for Taveras .
He may just want to be traded .
I always thought his contract was a bad deal for us.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It's very strange that Willy is a team worst -13. Something happened to him in the last 2-3 months.
is it strange our Capt is a -9

this isn't for the quoted poster

fans wanting to dump on Willie is one thing but the coach doing it while not a word about Johnny is pathetic .

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
The level of arrogance to not care but show up and embarass the sweater. Nylander is a joke. I find it very hard to believe he is one of the boys in that locker room, he does not do his job. I bet Nylander is shopping online for sunglasses, in between periods
I admit, I LOLed.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Not judging Nylander til the playoffs

His shot is elite.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No way you trade Nylander. Although he deserves criticism, he’s shown brilliance that you can’t replace. I also don’t believe you get as much for him in return as some think here, the name is a complicated metric around the league.

Hes getting some points, some absolve him simply on this score. I’m looking at his game, his stop and starts, lacks overall intensity and his motor is misfiring. Chalk it up to a slump, perhaps confirmation he will always be a moody player, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a rare asset. We will all forget his recent play if he returns to previous form and history suggests he will.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I would move Tavares first if at all possible and Move Nylander to C, barring that then yes trade Nylander, Anaheim looks like a suitor why not Comtois Lundestrom and a first

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think if you’re moving someone, it has to be Marner.

Which sucks because Marner is fantastic

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
You’re the fool though because Tavares does have options. He has an NMC and he’ll tell management “no”. Also having an NMC they can’t waive him.
Then you make him uncomfortable. You tell him he's not wanted. The crest is more important than Tavares. You can't build a team around 3 x 11 million players. Tavares has to go. If he's a Leafs fan, he'll understand. Simple.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Then you make him uncomfortable. You tell him he's not wanted. The crest is more important than Tavares. You can't build a team around 3 x 11 million players. Tavares has to go. If he's a Leafs fan, he'll understand. Simple.
The only way that even becomes a possibility is if the entire front office is sent packing. We’re stuck with JT for a myriad of reasons as presently constituted.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

LOL and again he’d say no. Tavares won’t give a shit, at the end of the day his contract is too big. You can’t bury it and he’s not bad enough to demote him & oh yeah, if you do that to Tavares you think the rest of the boys on the team are gonna stand for that shit? They are a brotherhood. Marner and Matthews would be thinking if they are willing to do that to Tavares they’d be willing to do that to us. Kiss them good bye in UFA. Every decision you make as management has a consequence. I’m sorry but you need to accept it, Tavares is here to stay. Once his deal is up he’ll sign for a million or less each year and I’m okay with that.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

I mean, Matthews? No, Tavares? He has a NMC so it’s really his choice if he moves. Nylander? Okay, sure. His cap is much less and he won’t get as good of a return though.

Marner? You could go out and probably get a world class player or a really serviceable player and great futures plus a large cap relief.

The return on Marner is better, the cap outlook looks a lot better and you haven’t been able to count on him in the playoffs.

I guess there is another option, really shake things up and look to move both Marner and Nylander?

I’m not looking at this as a player has to go because they suck, a player has to go because the makeup of the team has to change. In my opinion, Marner does that in a much better way than Nylander, but maybe both would be best.

Think of the possibilities moving Marner could open up. He’s in his prime, can be a top 5 player, you wouldn’t need to retain like you would with Tavares or any older player.

Ya Marner is the one who needs to be moved unfortunately.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If we lay an egg in the playoffs again , the heat may be to much for Taveras .
He may just want to be traded .
I always thought his contract was a bad deal for us.
He's in Toronto and started his family here. He's not going anywhere

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I mean, Matthews? No, Tavares? He has a NMC so it’s really his choice if he moves. Nylander? Okay, sure. His cap is much less and he won’t get as good of a return though.

Marner? You could go out and probably get a world class player or a really serviceable player and great futures plus a large cap relief.

The return on Marner is better, the cap outlook looks a lot better and you haven’t been able to count on him in the playoffs.

I guess there is another option, really shake things up and look to move both Marner and Nylander?

I’m not looking at this as a player has to go because they suck, a player has to go because the makeup of the team has to change. In my opinion, Marner does that in a much better way than Nylander, but maybe both would be best.

Think of the possibilities moving Marner could open up. He’s in his prime, can be a top 5 player, you wouldn’t need to retain like you would with Tavares or any older player.

Ya Marner is the one who needs to be moved unfortunately.
This conversation is predicated on another bad playoff exit, so if that’s the case then all options are on the table, no question. I just find it a warped argument right now when you could legitimately argue he’s never been worth more crap wise than this very moment, it doesn’t acknowledge his unparalleled value. As we sit here today the thought of moving a Marner is crazy, he’s literally the core of this team, in all situations. If we lose first round, then it’s a different convo…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad