Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
They were fully aware of how bonkers Kraken is and tried to tone it down.

I’d rather see an angry octopus holding a hockey stick, blasting orange and turquoise.

Yea just give me a menacing Kraken, it would sell like pancakes. I would be the first in line(with a mask) to buy one.

I feel like a team like the Predators understood that: simplicity work. The face of a sabretooth tiger, That's it, that's all you need. That's what Seatle should have done, just put a Kraken in there.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I like these logos better, but the colour scheme looks great on the actual ones.

EL-nm7aU0AAUIPh.jpg

nhl-seattle-kraken-13.png

The second one is fantastic. Very interesting. It's almost mixing a Kraken and a spear.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Agreed, would be perfect. And kudos for the reference to that insane fever dream of a movie.

Would love parts of Dafoe's speech here to be the opener to their intro song ("HAARRKKK"):

Haha I'd love that, I'm sure everyone would appreciate the nod to the black and white 4:3 movie.

Reactions: Morrison

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
I can agree that Pelicans is bad, but the NBA is full of crappy names. The Jazz may have made sense in New Orleans, but in UTAH of all places? The same with the Minnesota/LA Lakers and the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies. Washington Wizards is awful. Thunder is lame. Nets is one of the blandest names in pro sports.
How is Pelicans a bad name? One of the few hyper carnivors, a real animal, and actually pretty f***ing big and terrifying. Also its the State Bird, which would easily kick most birds asses.
Seriously theres an NHL team called the Ducks. The annoying little shits in a park you feed bread too. And named after a Disney movie.....

Its hilarious seeing the amount of hate on the Kraken name in a league with such revered names as "Flyers" "Ducks" and the infamous "Red wings".

Reactions: hirawl

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I would have preferred Finnish Iku-Turso, but they went with Norwegian one. Doesn´t really matter at the end...

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yeah the overused Space Needle cliche logo definitely would have been much less criticized by the negative nellies. What's so special about any of those?
Nothing is special. As a brand new franchise setting logo concept, they are all better. A simplistic S is lowest brow offering of any self respecting designer.

The logo is representative of a Brand, a company. Its important.

Every tourist that goes to Seattle goes to the space needle, its a classic symbol of Seattle that as an inclusion into your Seattle based brands logo, only serves to reinforce the city and draw people in.

They chose one of if the worst name, and then also didn't even include it in either primary or secondary logos?!?

As much as the cartoony kraken concepts are not great, atleast they are what the name of the team is and would sell huge merchandise. Now they just have an S. With a red dot and a vague tentacle. Brilliant.

Im not saying those logos are great, im saying they are better, atleast as starting points.
The Second one in particular has alot going for it design wise.

Reactions: aufheben

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
How is Pelicans a bad name? One of the few hyper carnivors, a real animal, and actually pretty f***ing big and terrifying. Also its the State Bird, which would easily kick most birds asses.
Seriously theres an NHL team called the Ducks. The annoying little shits in a park you feed bread too. And named after a Disney movie.....

Its hilarious seeing the amount of hate on the Kraken name in a league with such revered names as "Flyers" "Ducks" and the infamous "Red wings".
I think it's because it sounds lame. Not a lot of people know much about pelicans and just associate them with any other type of bird.

To me the lamest names in professional North American sports are:

Vegas Golden Knights (I just have no idea how they arrived at this)
Anaheim Ducks (at least Mighty Ducks was unique, when they removed that it was just bizarre)
Toronto Raptors (this one is just absurd, making a name out of a movie from a couple years before)
Brooklyn Nets (could not get more bland than this)
Utah Jazz (I kind of like Jazz as a name, but not in Utah)
Washington Wizards (it sounds generic but also doesn't make sense to the place in any way)

And then a bunch of them just sound too generic:

Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Atlanta Falcons
Philadelphia Eagles
Atlanta Hawks
Golden State Warriors
Florida Panthers
Arizona Coyotes
Detroit Tigers

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Ugh. Should have been Totems or Breakers or anything else.

And what's with the primary S logo? It looks like the head of a Cylon Centurion.

Maybe the team should have been called the Seattle Cylons or Centurions.

Reactions: HisIceness

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah no. You are reaching. I get the maritime part and rough waters and all that so you can tie it together with some advanced creativity, but really come on. It doesn't make much sense, it's just what they decided because it's cool and it has a lot of marketing/merch potential. Which is fine, although I have to say it does feel and sound weird and just kinda wrong to me.

I like the logos though, very sharp. Simple yet brilliant. Colors and the overall jersey design are very nice too.

How will they pronounce it though? Are they going with the bastardized 'cracken' or the proper way?

Everything I said in that post is a fact.

Picklepete

Jun 5, 2002
Tampa
Visit site
People are being ridiculous, just want to hate cause its the new team

Everyone disliked the ducks when they came out, but now look at us the best team name/Mascot in the NHL.

I really like Kraken or Sockeyes.... I also thought Emeralds would have been pretty good too.

Still hate the Ducks name... stupid then & stupid now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad