Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
It's kind of odd to choose the name of an outlandish sea creature and then have only the letter "S" (with some very vague hints of the creature incorporated into it) and an anchor as your marks. The marketing director seemed to say that there were more "looks" coming in future. But those of us who had never heard of a "kraken" before this naming process are still in the dark about one of these things looks like (at least from the team's perspective). Nevertheless, the name is a good choice for social media and intellectual property protection reasons, which I expect played a large role in the choice.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's kind of odd to choose the name of an outlandish sea creature and then have only the letter "S" (with some very vague hints of the creature incorporated into it) and an anchor as your marks. The marketing director seemed to say that there were more "looks" coming in future. But those of us who had never heard of a "kraken" before this naming process are still in the dark about one of these things looks like (at least from the team's perspective). Nevertheless, the name is a good choice for social media and intellectual property protection reasons, which I expect played a large role in the choice.
Before pop culture it was basically a huge squid or octopus from what I've seen. I've learned today it was actually referenced in Moby Dick. It'll definitely be interesting to see what angle they take towards creating the beast, or if they will just use the movie footage already made.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I respect that they went to left field for the name. Let's not forget, the kraken is a powerful, horrifying creature beyond all measure. A hockey team can only hope to achieve that ideal.

Reactions: Morrison

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Seattle-Metropolitans-Authentic-Hockey-Sweater_1024x1024.jpg

I love this jersey despite it looking like a pajamas from The Seventh Seal.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Beautiful! Excited for another Pacific Northwest team. Hopefully, this is the start of a great rivalry with the Canucks.

Not surprised at the bitching and moaning about the name/jersey. It doesn't seem like you can please anyone these days...

Last edited:

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Logo looks like something that should be on an MLB hat, but I like it regardless. I think they did a good job overall with the name and logo.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
What should we call it? The Can-Krak Cup?
Ha ha. I hated the Canucks because I got into seriously following hockey right around the time the Canucks had that great run to the SC finals and had thrashed my current team (Sharks). I am on the fence switching to the Kraken but since Kesler and Burrows are no longer part of the Canucks, I actually like their young core. Now I can support 3 teams to win the cup in different orders .. :D

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Name is good, colors are unique, but that logo is AHL level. Should’ve gone with a flat design or something more timeless/classic

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Ha ha. I hated the Canucks because I got into seriously following hockey right around the time the Canucks had that great run to the SC finals and had thrashed my current team (Sharks). I am on the fence switching to the Kraken but since Kesler and Burrows are no longer part of the Canucks, I actually like their young core. Now I can support 3 teams to win the cup in different orders .. :D
I'm sorry, the official hockey fan code prevents cheering for 3 different teams, especially in the same division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad