Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
LOVE the name. I actually think this is one of the best team names in the NHL - really cool! I don't understand the hate - but it's not for everyone I guess. There is also great marketing potential IMO with this name. The logo was a little underwhelming at first I think because I really liked one of the mock ones from a while ago, but I think it's fine. Jerseys look good.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I was comparing to the remake in 2010. I agree that you can't compare across eras.
Yeah I corrected my post, my bad.

Doesn't matter, its my funny lesson in humility and generation gaps for the day.It's the same creature obviously and it doesnt matter where you remember it from. It's amazing to me to that there are some that don't get the reference at all, it's been around for so long in either case.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
they even got the body of water all wrong...the kraken myth is indigenous to the waters of Scandinavia and the North Atlantic....last time I checked, the waters around Seattle are called the Pacific ocean

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
what an embarrassingly bad name....maybe the worst team name in all of sports

Minor League Baseball has a bunch of doozies.

Lehigh Valley IronPigs, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders - First off, those are two words. Capitalizing a letter midway through your name is stupid. Also, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is unpronouncable and dumb.

Wichita Wind Surge - that's not even a cool weather phenomenon.

Binghamton Rumble Ponies, Hartford Yard Goats

Rocket City Trash Pandas - Oh come on.

Akron RubberDucks - Two words again, plus embarrassment.

Northwest Arkansas Naturals - "Northwest Arkansas?"

Inland Empire 66ers...

I give up on the two words names, there are so many...

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
If we're honest, a lot of teams have bad names. Even if we ignore normal easy targets like Ducks and Golden Knights. Taking bias, familiarity and nostalgia out of the picture, there's Senators (politicians), Islanders (cause they play on an island), Capitals (cause they play in the capital), Canadiens (just announcing the nationality of the team), Canucks (Montreal Naming Logic 2: Electric Boogaloo), Maple Leafs (we get it, you're from Canada) etc. Most of these names are grandfathered in and therefore people don't think they're strange, but imagine if a team was called "the Bald Eagles" or "Sequioas". And even my team has a pretty dumb name if I'm being objective (they're the Stars cause they are all "stars"... Right? Get it? ... ).

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Do people in this American city know anything about Hockey? Or is it the same case as certain places in the US where you watch a game in an arena and people are confused about delayed offsides...let alone understanding the nuances lol.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Do people in this American city know anything about Hockey? Or is it the same case as certain places in the US where you watch a game in an arena and people are confused about delayed offsides...let alone understanding the nuances lol.
There are some arenas where fans get so confused about what they're watching, they call the police after physical play.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
they even got the body of water all wrong...the kraken myth is indigenous to the waters of Scandinavia and the North Atlantic....last time I checked, the waters around Seattle are called the Pacific ocean
Ohhhh come on. Seattle is a city by the sea, and it's a sea monster. I dont remember the context for the Pirate's movie but I think the connection to historical accuracy with the Kraken was broken long ago.

Reactions: Devonator

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

There are two historically very well supported major junior teams in the Seattle metro area, with a checkered past of assorted minor league teams. There are certainly people who can't tell the difference between a puck and a door knob, but there are those kinds of people in every market, even Canadien ones.

Seattle is a huge metro area with a lot of money, proven capability of supporting hockey, room to grow, the ability to add millions of eyes on TVs, butts in seats, and feet in skates that weren't there before, a massively wealthy and equally dedicated ownership group, and will soon have a world-class arena. The Kraken will be fine. They won't be an instant success like Vegas was and is, but they are the ideal addition to get the NHL to 32 teams.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I didn't even know what the hell a kraken was before one of the previous Seattle threads. Definitely the strangest name of all 32 teams to me at least.

How is it even prounced? Like the same way you'd prounce crankin'?

Reactions: Morrison

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

Attachments

• 8762904B-873C-4B0F-BE42-17AF695EEDA1.png
    8762904B-873C-4B0F-BE42-17AF695EEDA1.png
    452.4 KB · Views: 6

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I like this significantly more in name/logo/jersey than the Thrashers, Predators, Wild, Blue Jackets and Golden Knights. I’m a Columbus fan. We were fighting on abbreviations, mascot, and the neon green for at least 6 years.

I love the light blue and salmon, pretty unique. There were comments that it was going to turn out like the Miami Dolphins but I think they created something really unique.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Man I love the team name and colors/jerseys. My new second favorite team in the West. I think they'll be a huge hit in the Seattle area.

Reactions: Morrison
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad