Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I cannot believe theres so many people that like this joke name, let alone the logo.
It's juvenile and as basic as can be, with no relation to the city or region.

Atleast Anaheim had an iconic movie to blame, and still had the sense to change it.

Seattle decides to start the franchise as a joke.

So it's basically "waaah why didn't they like my name?"

Whole lot of buzzwords you're using that don't carry actual meaning here. Joke how? Juvenile how? Using relationship to the city as an arbitrary top priority when it clearly isn't among NHL teams, and pretending it isn't there when it clearly is to a degree.

Posts whining like this have been common since this name was first suggested, but they haven't been supported in two years now.

Reactions: JBeast

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I cannot believe theres so many people that like this joke name, let alone the logo.
It's juvenile and as basic as can be, with no relation to the city or region.

Atleast Anaheim had an iconic movie to blame, and still had the sense to change it.

Seattle decides to start the franchise as a joke.

An iconic movie? The team was literally created at the same time as the movie. And the Mighty Ducks was f***ing anything but iconic in 1992. It was a kids movie and not a particularly great one. That was Disney blowing a couple dozen million in a huge marketing campaign that involved a professional hockey team, a cartoon, and a hokey child's movie.

Juvenile brings in kid viewers. Kid viewers bring in adult viewers. And basic? Basic would have been Seattle Metropolitans.

Seattle Totems sounds like an AHL or WHL team. Seattle Sockeye kinda sounds like a horse's name at the Kentucky Derby.

Reactions: Eisen

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I don't like the name - to me it sounds kind of corny and childish.

But at least it's something. My favourite team has a nickname which doesn't really mean anything. Seriously, has anyone ever heard the term Oiler used in any other context but sports?

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Atleast Anaheim had an actual movie to blame for their name. Seattle does not.

Kraken is a dumb ass name. Which is why its been a joke for years and now a meme.

There was better options.

Id love to hear, in any detail, why Kraken is a good choice. For a brand new team in 2020, in Seattle.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
For those who wanna know why Kraken is a fitting name, here's why.

1. Seattle is a maritime city, so obviously a sea creature would make a fitting mascot.
2. Kraken is a mythical creature in Scandinavian folklore. The state of Washington has the 2nd biggest population of Scandinavian Americans of any other state.
Yeah no. You are reaching. I get the maritime part and rough waters and all that so you can tie it together with some advanced creativity, but really come on. It doesn't make much sense, it's just what they decided because it's cool and it has a lot of marketing/merch potential. Which is fine, although I have to say it does feel and sound weird and just kinda wrong to me.

I like the logos though, very sharp. Simple yet brilliant. Colors and the overall jersey design are very nice too.

How will they pronounce it though? Are they going with the bastardized 'cracken' or the proper way?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I don't like the name - to me it sounds kind of corny and childish.

But at least it's something. My favourite team has a nickname which doesn't really mean anything. Seriously, has anyone ever heard the term Oiler used in any other context but sports?

Really dude? Edmonton or Houston, the teams who have worn the Oiler name (or the Oil Kings in juniors) are directly related to the oil industry which is huge in Alberta and Texas. Like, you want a team that doesn't mean anything? Cincinnati Reds. Because they wore red stockings (They used to be the Cincinnati Red Legs) Or the New York Rangers which has NEGATIVE anything to do with anything New York.

Hell, the Detroit Red Wings are literally just named after a minor league hockey team that was owned/played on by the owner (Winged Wheelers) and the fact that they picked Red as one of the teams colors.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Atleast Anaheim had an actual movie to blame for their name. Seattle does not.

Kraken is a dumb ass name. Which is why its been a joke for years and now a meme.

There was better options.

Id love to hear, in any detail, why Kraken is a good choice. For a brand new team in 2020, in Seattle.
The Kraken doesnt have a movie? That's the only way I would know what a Kraken is. I know it's not in the title, but still it has an obvious movie reference.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
No see, the stuff about the Seattle Karens? That's childish and juvenile. That is silly and basic. That's a dope online thinking he's funny.

What do "Predators" have to do with Nashville? Specifically what looks like a Sabertoothed Tiger.
What does the arbitrary Wild have to do with Minnesota? Because there is trees up there?
Half the Canadian teams' names are just "We Canadians" but said a different way.
Is Florida known for it's booming Panther population?

Reactions: Anglesmith

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
An iconic movie? The team was literally created at the same time as the movie. And the Mighty Ducks was f***ing anything but iconic in 1992. It was a kids movie and not a particularly great one. That was Disney blowing a couple dozen million in a huge marketing campaign that involved a professional hockey team, a cartoon, and a hokey child's movie.

Juvenile brings in kid viewers. Kid viewers bring in adult viewers. And basic? Basic would have been Seattle Metropolitans.

Seattle Totems sounds like an AHL or WHL team. e Seattle Sockeye kinda sounds like a horse's name at the Kentucky Derby.
I second that. I like to add that the movie stank for anyone older than 12.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Love it. Their marketing department has done a great job. Everything is very logical, from the name, logo, advert designs, to the colour colour schemes. It's all very well-thought out and well done. Looks like a cool team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The fact that so many people only know what a Kraken is from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies is baffling to me.

That movie did put it on the map in the English speaking world. Without its use in PotC I doubt we have the rum brand or its use in Sea of Thieves, and it never would have been suggested as a name.

On the other hand, if it was less known, perhaps there would've been fewer tears about this name.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
The fact that so many people only know what a Kraken is from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies is baffling to me.

I think more people know it from the movie Clash of the Titans. The release the Kraken scene has been memed quite often.

Reactions: Mitts

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That movie did put it on the map in the English speaking world. Without its use in PotC I doubt we have the rum brand or its use in Sea of Thieves, and it never would have been suggested as a name.

On the other hand, if it was less known, perhaps there would've been fewer tears about this name.
Uhhhhh.....guys its from the Clash of the Titans.

"Release the Kraken!!!!" anyone?

POTC would be bringing the Kraken back most likely as a fun reference to Clash.

Reactions: Mitts

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY

My first exposure to the creature was the enemy Kraken from the very first Final Fantasy.

Reactions: Anglesmith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad