Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
I am partial to Alliteration though. Cascadia Corsairs is my suggestion. If we have to go Seattle, I’m pushing Silver Skulls. Oh well. It’s over now. H.p. Love craft has nothing to do with Seattle.
Lovecraft also has nothing to do with the Kraken. The Kraken is from Norse folklore, you're thinking of Cthulhu...

Reactions: Morrison and BHD

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The amount of people that I've already had to say what Kraken means is getting annoying lol

Honestly not a fan of the team name

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Bemusing and somewhat bewildering to read so much criticism of the name. I like it, nice and simple.

The jerseys look awful though. And oh look, more red blue and white...

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I cannot believe theres so many people that like this joke name, let alone the logo.
It's juvenile and as basic as can be, with no relation to the city or region.

Atleast Anaheim had an iconic movie to blame, and still had the sense to change it.

Seattle decides to start the franchise as a joke.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
They named a Seattle hockey team after a fictional Norwegian sea monster. It has nothing to do with hockey and nothing to do with Seattle. It's stupid.

It's like naming a Toronto basketball team "The Raptors."

In Seattle, you had so many things to draw from as a maritime city, you also had a long hockey history in the area to draw from.

If you were, for some idiotic reason dead set on naming your club after a fictional monster, you also had one of those that was specific to the Pacific Northwest with Sasquatches, but instead, they opted for something from Norwegian maritime folklore which is frankly bizarre.

I hate to break this to you, this was never targeted at you - this was targeted at a younger generation who gets introduced to hockey at a young age and digs logos and colours before the logic of "what mythical creature is local to the Seattle area".

I mean, a kid would look at the Sockeye name and 1) not know what that even is 2) find out and be unimpressed 3) probably eventually wonder why a team would name themselves after the food of what will likely be their rival's logo 4) Not think it's bad ass. (Personally I'd never name my team after anything I'd eat for dinner.)

Same with Totems. Wtf is a totem a kid would ask, then they'd find out and be like.... o_O . It's a wooden statue? I'm gonna cheer for the Predators.

Doing things because of "tradition" is a never ending loop of rehashing old garbage. Some people want new and fresh opposed to things locked into history because something that happened before they were even born.

Lastly, the Kraken may have originated in Scandinavia, but that's a positive. Do you think their marketing team didn't consider that they just rolled out a connection to an entirely different group of fans? It's a smart play to draw in the youth playing in Sweden, Norway, etc.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I honestly don't get the hate for this. If this name sucks, how can you explain most other team names? It's a simple name that everyone knows, and it fits with the general theme of being a seaside city. And to the guy who thinks Pirates of the Carribean is the reason for this.... Surely you can't be serious. That's absurd.

This name isn't offensive. We don't need to nitpick historical details to determine how relevant a team name is to a city's history. It really doesn't matter all that much.

This name is fun and marketable.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I cannot believe theres so many people that like this joke name, let alone the logo.
It's juvenile and as basic as can be, with no relation to the city or region.

Atleast Anaheim had an iconic movie to blame, and still had the sense to change it.

Seattle decides to start the franchise as a joke.

"Juvenile." When did this place become so freaking insufferable?

Reactions: grentthealien

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
How long before some group finds this name offensive and starts a protest? Maybe Seattle plumbers will hold a rally :sarcasm:

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
unknown.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad