Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Really dude? Edmonton or Houston, the teams who have worn the Oiler name...

Yes, really dude :laugh:
I grew up in Edmonton. Worked for a while on the rigs as a roughneck (Pembina Field). Also worked for a pipeline company out of Nisku. My dad worked his entire career as an engineer for Canada's biggest oil company. I'm quite aware of the industry and it's importance to the province.

But ask yourself, have you ever actually heard the term Oiler used to refer to someone working in the oil and gas industry? I honestly never have.

Reactions: Hivemind

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I can't imagine it has anything to do with POTC. Release the Kraken has been a joke/reference for forty years. They redid it in 2010 which I know was a while ago but still...
The line appears in POTC: Dead Man's Chest from 2006. The Liam Neeson Titans came out in 2010. For modern audiences, they likely heard it in Pirates first.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I second that. I like to add that the movie stank for anyone older than 12.

That being said, cake eater. I enjoy the movie for the family friendly shlock that it is. Also, Julie the Cat was awesome. Even if the fake tension of making the glove save on Gunner Stahl's non-triple deke was dumb.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Great name if you ask me. Well done Seattle. Should end up with a cool logo i would assume.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Never heard of that movie until two seconds ago, so I mostly just ignored that meme. Like most memes lol
Mind....blown.

I think an entire generation is missing the reference behind the team. f*** Im old. I know the remake wasnt that succcessful but yeah they redid the movie just because the Kraken was a really famous monster of the 80's from the super cheesy/bad special effect movie Clash of the Titans. Through the 90's you knew what the Kraken was, and if you forgot they redid it just to bring it back. Any reference past the 90's is most likely at least a mild reference or nod to the Titan's one. It's what actually put the Kraken in the mind of the general public in the first place.

Reactions: Kurtz

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I can't imagine it has anything to do with POTC. Release the Kraken has been a joke/reference for forty years. They redid it in 2010 which I know was a while ago but still...

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was released 4 years prior to the remake and had double the box office success, so excluding those who saw the 80s movie or were too young for PoC, that was really the first introduction for most people.

For what it's worth, I'm familiar with the meme, but not the movie it came from.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Well played Seattle, welcome to the NHL.

As a New Yorker who married a girl from Washington I look forward to watching the Rangers there. You know, if we can ever go to sporting events again:D

Seriously though love the logo and the colors.

Reactions: JMCx4

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Kraken was the best name that I ever heard mentioned but that logo is so boring and generic.

The fan made mockup was amazing (greenish color) Why didn't they just pay the artist and use that? Would have instantly been one of the better looking uniforms in sports.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
The line appears in POTC: Dead Man's Chest from 2006. The Liam Neeson Titans came out in 2010. For modern audiences, they likely heard it in Pirates first.
Sir Lawrence Olivier said the line in the original version of Clash of the Titans and it has been a meme for the last 40 years.

Meanwhile I don't get the hate on the Magic and Lightning. Tampa is called the lightning capital of the world and well what else is Tampa known for? And Orlando could have been called the Disney Princesses but went with the magic kingdom reference instead. Maybe the Orlando Goofies would have been better. As a ranger fan, "rangers" sounds kid of silly but is considered iconic only because it's been the name since essentially every hockey fan was born so we can't think of any other name for the franchise.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I grew up in Edmonton. Worked for a while on the rigs as a roughneck (Pembina Field). Also worked for a pipeline company out of Nisku. My dad worked his entire career as an engineer for Canada's biggest oil company. I'm quite aware of the industry and it's importance to the province.

But ask yourself, have you ever actually heard the term Oiler used to refer to someone working in the oil and gas industry? I honestly never have.
Rig Pig is about the only name I ever hear

Reactions: Bearr and KirkW

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Like I'm saying, POTC most likely used it because it's already one of the most famous seas monsters in pop culture. There's no way the creators thought they were making an original beast there. Even they are referencing the original Titan movie. Maybe they did it because they knew they were remaking Clash?

Either way it's an impressive example of generational differences, but as long as everyone gets that its a sea monster coming to destroy you the point has been made. Doesnt matter where we remember it from.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

NHL team nicknames explained

Least the Edmonton Oilers are named after the Oil Kings.

Also in that article... the Blackhawks have a badass name and if someone complains to get it changed, I will be very upset.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was released 4 years prior to the remake and had double the box office success, so excluding those who saw the 80s movie or were too young for PoC, that was really the first introduction for most people.

For what it's worth, I'm familiar with the meme, but not the movie it came from.
Im sure they included it for the parents of the folks watching with their kids. Don't let the numbers of the box office make you think that POTC was much bigger, it was a different time. Blockbusters werent quite the same back then. Clash had just as big an impact on that time as POTC did.

You were referring to the remake's success not the original, my bad.

Most people though would be a little off. Most younger people obviously for sure, and that's a big part of who theyre aiming for.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Im sure they included it for the parents of the folks watching with their kids. Don't let the numbers of the box office make you think that POTC was much bigger, it was a different time. Blockbusters werent quite the same back then. Clash had just as big an impact on that time as POTC did.

I was comparing to the remake in 2010. I agree that you can't compare across eras.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't get the kraken love. Corny

tenor.gif

Nothing corny about it bud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad