Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
You know that the Colorado Avalance were almost called the Rocky Mountain Extreme? That's like the pinnacle of what you're getting at, but thankfully pro sports grew out of that Xtreme phase a long time ago. A lot of the most classic franchises in sports have boring names - the Athletics, the Packers, the Knicks, the Lakers, the Browns, the Cubs, etc. The Sockeyes would fall into that category. But what makes Sockeyes especially good is that it isn't just a generic name, it is representative of the area the team plays in.

That's what a good modern sports team name should be.
Uhh yeah they weren't named that though because we rioted and demanded they change the name.

Who cares what they might have been called when it's not relevant

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Why do they need to be golden and not just knights? Knights would have been better and literally nothing else needed to be changed. Same jerseys

I'm just glad the Avalanche have one of the coolest names in all of sports since all other Colorado sports teams have lame names. Especially the nuggets

Hindsight makes decisions look better I guess. I know a lot of people wanted the Vegas Aces (me included). Golden Knights at least aged better than the aces would've. Golden Knights has grown on me but it's still a pretty stupid name, not as bad as other names (looking at you Islanders who don't have an island and penguins who play violent team names)

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Uhh yeah they weren't named that though because we rioted and demanded they change the name.

Who cares what they might have been called when it's not relevant

Don't you see the point? That the coolest or most deadly namesake is not necessarily the best name for a sports team.

It's the same reason why making a logo look angry is not necessary. In fact, this usually results in a worse logo based on evidence.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
was going to say Seattle Fishermen but then realized that society is so f***ed up now that even if Fishermen was a good name which it is not, if would not be possible and would need to be Fisherperson not to offend anyone.
My high school's team name was the "Fightin' Fishermen". To this point, no one has suggested changing it to Fisherpeople. Nor have they suggested removing the 'Fightin'' portion of the name due to it's association with violence or stereotypes.

Seattle Sound I bet

Seattle Storm Surge
Good ideas.

So good, in fact, that there are already variations on both of those names.

Reactions: oknazevad

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
With Seattle's awesome fans, Kraken would be next level. Truly anything else would be less intense. Just try to picture..

"Let's go Sockeyes..."
"Let's go Steelheads..."
"Let's go Emeralds..."

Vs

"LET'S GO KRA-KEN!"

It's not even close.

Reactions: Morrison and AMDZen

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
NHLteam-logos-header.gif

Reactions: Frenchy

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Don't you see the point? That the coolest or most deadly namesake is not necessarily the best name for a sports team.

It's the same reason why making a logo look angry is not necessary. In fact, this usually results in a worse logo based on evidence.
I get your point that you like boring names regardless of it representing anything at all. Wtf is an islander? Why the penguins for Pittsburgh? Who cares about a tire company that no longer exists in Detroit or frankly all the old teams have boring names

The xtreme wouldn't have been deadly or anything else it's just dumb

Evergreen

And your point?

We have a lot of Nordic players in the league. So what, an American team can't take from other cultures? That's all America culture is, that what previous cultures have given us.

Your argument makes no sense.

GO KRAKEN
Seattle is on the Pacific Ocean...get a map.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Seattle how dare you. I mean why not go all out and make Greta your logo when you have the climate pledge arena. I propose the Oilers change their name to feed into the rivalry. The Edmonton planet f***ers.

Reactions: Sigurd and MPGA

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Based on the video I'm pretty sure it's going to be the Seattle Wet Goal Lights.

"Let's Go Wet Goal Lights!!!!"

The chants would be awesome.

IMO, based on the local connection with coffee and progressiveness, the Seattle Woke would work.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Sockeye and Kraken both roll off the tongue.

I know a lot of people think those sound like peewee league names and I don’t disagree. But I bet quite a few current teams would be laughed at for their names if they were just coming in.

There’s some old grainy video of people on the streets of St Louis ripping “Blues” to shreds in 1966.

Reactions: Morrison

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sockeye and Kraken both roll off the tongue.

I know a lot of people think those sound like peewee league names and I don’t disagree. But I bet quite a few current teams would be laughed at for their names if they were just coming in.

There’s some old grainy video of people on the streets of St Louis ripping “Blues” to shreds in 1966.
well of course over time any name would be accepted, but why not go for a name and concept that is loved right away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad