Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Maybe the video is a clue, it’s fishermen pulling up an empty net, with the only catch being an old goal horn. It’s clearly commentary that we are overfishing the oceans and will one day only be pulling up empty bets, save for the refuse that we have carelessly thrown into our beautiful oceans. At the same time, the cheese goal in hockey is the empty net goal.

Therefore, the Seattle EmptyNetters

Reactions: Mint

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rangers, Flyers, Penguins, Kings, Sabres.
Then you've got teams so generic as to not be really related to states; Flames, Wild, Preds, Ducks, Stars
Preds and Stars actually have more relevance than you realize (the infamous fossil discovered in the Nashville area, and the whole Texas "Lone Star" thing) And Flames and Wild can at least be rationalized.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I really want Sockeyes but I'm sure we will get Kraken which has nothing to do with Seattle and sounds like an arena football team. But Kraken is more marketable so they will probably go with it.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Preds and Stars actually have more relevance than you realize (the infamous fossil discovered in the Nashville area, and the whole Texas "Lone Star" thing) And Flames and Wild can at least be rationalized.

What’s the rationale for the Flames in Calgary? Atlanta Flames made sense because of the whole civil war burning of Atlanta thing. That they kept the same name after moving to Calgary was just brand retention.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

It's all relative, but they are pretty darn tenuous connections.
I really don't care about the name, but the whole "it's got to be obviously connected to the city/state" for Seattle just seem weird when it isn't applied elsewhere

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
What’s the rationale for the Flames in Calgary? Atlanta Flames made sense because of the whole civil war burning of Atlanta thing. That they kept the same name after moving to Calgary was just brand retention.
yeah tbh the name Flames have as much relevance to Calgary as the name Lakers does to Los Angeles.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
What NHL teams have names unrelated to their states?

Where are there penguins in Pittsburgh? The effing zoo, just like anywhere else. Where are the Golden knights in Vegas? Where are there predators in Nashville? Namely the Saber tooth tigers the name represents. [MOD]

I could go on and on and on.

How about like, the entire NBA? You think there are any lakes in LA or any jazz in Salt Lake?

How about the NFL. Wtf are the browns, oh yeah they were named after their old owner Arthur brown, which is completely stupid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
As a fisheries guy I love the idea of Seattle Sockeye. Also as a fisheries guy, it would strike me as kind of wrong to name your team after a species when Seattle has been getting record low sockeye returns and the population is struggling. What happens if the sockeye run completely collapses...

Totems would be cool too, though it may be deemed offensive or appropriation and in the current climate they may not want the hassle.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Exactly.

Same with like half of the NBA that kept names completely unrelated to their new cities

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Exactly.

Same with like half of the NBA that kept names completely unrelated to their new cities
yeah, but with no factor of brand retention, it just makes sense to make the name make sense to Seattle.

as an aside, I thought Flames fit for Calgary just because of the flares on natural gas extraction, but there are definitely lots of team names that don't match, and it's okay.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
It's all relative, but they are pretty darn tenuous connections.
I really don't care about the name, but the whole "it's got to be obviously connected to the city/state" for Seattle just seem weird when it isn't applied elsewhere
It's not weird, it's the kraken haters trying to justify why they hate the name while grasping at straws and terrible reasoning.

Well the kraken isn't even real

We'll it has nothing to do with Seattle

The name is just dumb cuz I say so.

Only nerds like kraken

Reactions: Rozz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad