Introducing the Seattle Kraken!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Where are there predators in Nashville? Namely the Saber tooth tigers the name represents.

They hide under the city's skyscrapers. They're long dead but that's where they called home, now they reside at Bridgestone Arena.

Edit: Or maybe not, but they're still in DT Nashville.

Bones From Nashville Predators Origin Come Home

Before the Nashville Predators received their official name, they had a logo, a saber-toothed tiger, modeled after a fang and a foreleg bone of the extinct animal, found in the summer of 1971 at the construction site of the current UBS Tower on Deaderick Street in downtown Nashville.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
They hide under the city's skyscrapers. They're long dead but that's where they call home

Bones From Nashville Predators Origin Come Home
And how do you know there aren't bones of a kraken buried beneath Seattle?

Boom, argument won.

Seriously, if anyone else cared enough about Nashville to know that then they probably live there. It's a cool name so it never bothered me and it frankly doesn't matter either way.

The whole argument being made that a team needs to be tied to a city is completely stupid anyway.

Notice how nobody has tried to justify the penguins yet or the countless other teams that still can't be justified. They don't need to be in my mind, but the kraken hate tied to it has no merit without explaining every single other team

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
yeah, but with no factor of brand retention, it just makes sense to make the name make sense to Seattle.
No, it makes sense to you for some reason that you probably can't explain other then you think kraken is stupid.

For many of us, it doesn't need to make sense, it just sounds cool and team names should be something cool and doesn't need to relate to the city, state, or even this planet

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I hope it's Kraken. "It has nothing to do with Seattle" yep like every other team has name that is perfectly linked to city.
You telling me there aren't any penguins in Pittsburgh?

Yeah, I'm fine with the name Kraken. People say it's corny, childish, stupid, etc. but 2 years down the road everyone will have forgotten/gotten used to it and it'll be a non-issue.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Sockeyes is the best name.

If the Seattle Sockeyes were a 1967 expansion team, people would absolutely love that name.
OH so now we're using what would have been cool 60 years ago. Lol

Who the hell cares about what was cool in 1967?

If the team wants to be a laughing stock, being a fish will produce a hell of a lot more m3mes than kraken will

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
was going to say Seattle Fishermen but then realized that society is so f***ed up now that even if Fishermen was a good name which it is not, if would not be possible and would need to be Fisherperson not to offend anyone.

the boat, net and "what's that" comment could be an indicator of Kraken...

who the hell knows at this point.
Ha especially in Seattle. As a Nuck fan I am so glad we finally have a team only 2 hours away.
As for the name, it's gotta be something sound related right? What else could the ferry horn and the goal light mean? If it was the Kraken wouldn't it have been shot at night in a storm right?

Last edited:

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I'll take Penguins, Blues, Kings, and Sockeyes over Lightning, Wild, Avalanche, and Kraken.
Why though? Wild I get, that's too generic. Kraken is pretty specific and the others are probably the coolest named teams in all sports. A team name should inspire fear and what does that better than a natural disaster?

Sockeyes are just fish that people fish and eat. They serve no purpose other than to be fish and food.

An avalanche will murder you in your sleep

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
1*LmiLOv1gMjmmvAb12j2VuQ.png

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I still remember how the Golden Knights name was almost universally hated when announced. Thankfully it was saved because the jerseys are nice.

I can't see Seattle's name being any better, I'm fully prepared to be thoroughly disappointed tomorrow.

Unless it's the Kraken. Release the Kraken.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Why though? Wild I get, that's too generic. Kraken is pretty specific and the others are probably the coolest named teams in all sports. A team name should inspire fear and what does that better than a natural disaster?

Sockeyes are just fish that people fish and eat. They serve no purpose other than to be fish and food.

An avalanche will murder you in your sleep

You know that the Colorado Avalance were almost called the Rocky Mountain Extreme? That's like the pinnacle of what you're getting at, but thankfully pro sports grew out of that Xtreme phase a long time ago. A lot of the most classic franchises in sports have boring names - the Athletics, the Packers, the Knicks, the Lakers, the Browns, the Cubs, etc. The Sockeyes would fall into that category. But what makes Sockeyes especially good is that it isn't just a generic name, it is representative of the area the team plays in.

That's what a good modern sports team name should be.

Reactions: IamNotADancer

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
I still remember how the Golden Knights name was almost universally hated when announced. Thankfully it was saved because the jerseys are nice.

I can't see Seattle's name being any better, I'm fully prepared to be thoroughly disappointed tomorrow.

Unless it's the Kraken. Release the Kraken.
Why do they need to be golden and not just knights? Knights would have been better and literally nothing else needed to be changed. Same jerseys

I'm just glad the Avalanche have one of the coolest names in all of sports since all other Colorado sports teams have lame names. Especially the nuggets

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
was going to say Seattle Fishermen but then realized that society is so f***ed up now that even if Fishermen was a good name which it is not, if would not be possible and would need to be Fisherperson not to offend anyone.

the boat, net and "what's that" comment could be an indicator of Kraken...

who the hell knows at this point.

Yeah keep fighting that invisible enemy buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad